Colorado license

jims

Long Time Member
Last year my son didn't have a fishing or other license in Colo. Unfortunately they charged a pref pt fee ($50 if my memory is correct) for each specie's application. With the 2016 application period deadlines approaching I'm curious if he needs to buy a 2015 fishing license or will a 2016 fishing license work so he doesn't get charged the pref pts fee and gains pts.

Anyway, this is a reminder to buy a fishing or small game license so you don't get charged additional!

Pretty sure he needs some form of 2015 license. The regulation seems fairly clear:

In addition to the $3 application fee, an unsuccessful applicant (except youth as defined by 33-4-117 C.R.S., lifetime license holders, and Colorado resident military personnel on active duty outside Colorado), or one who applies using a first choice hunt code established for the purpose of accumulating a preference point only, for deer, elk, pronghorn or bear will be assessed a $40 fee ($30 for resident deer and pronghorn) to receive a preference point unless they have purchased one of the following: an annual license (fishing (including free senior annual), small game or resident combination small game/fishing license, furbearer) for the year previous to which they are seeking a preference point; any big game license for the previous year or a current draw license for the species for which they are seeking a preference point. The fee, per species, shall entitle the hunter to preference points for any unsuccessful deer, elk, pronghorn or bear application in that year.

Even though it's 2016 I was able to buy a 2015 fishing license for my son. Seems weird to buy a fishing license when there is a really good chance he won't be fishing!

The reason for having to buy the license is to comply with the "habitat stamp requirement" for all persons accessing public lands. You've got to have both the license and the "H" stamp. You can get them when you apply or you can buy them with another form of license like the fishing...

2f350s: Spend the money on additional licenses and HUNT more!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-16 AT 08:11AM (MST)[p]>Even though it's 2016 I was
>able to buy a 2015
>fishing license for my son.
> Seems weird to buy
>a fishing license when there
>is a really good chance
>he won't be fishing!

So here is the deal. If Colorado Sells you a license any license they get federal money from the Pitman/Robertson act. This money helps in several ways. If they do not sell you a license the cost for application is raised to make up the difference they lost for not selling a license. So really you have 2 choices, buy a license at a lower cost or buy the higher priced application fee. Many states are doing this... Look at Montana and the NR Combo Hunt, They technically sale a big game tag, a fishing license, small game, upland bird etc. In Idaho you have to buy a License first then apply for the tag, etc.

So buy the lic. cheaper or pay more for the application, either way the state will get the funding.

Also a while back the state adjusted the license dates so that this can occur and it also made sense to have a license from last year run into this year as a lot of seasons overlap one year to next. Small game for example typically runs from october to march. Why would we want a license to expire in the middle of a season on a holiday? So they adjusted the dates. Fishing was adjusted as well in part to accommodate the draw requirements you face but also because there is a more natural start to fishing season when the spring starts then in the middle of winter, etc.

The confusion is that the annual fishing license runs from April 1st till March 31 each year. And you have to have a previous year license to avoid the fees for the upcoming draw.

Bottom line: $26 is a lot less than the point fees.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom