Colorado Mule Deer unit 15 nonresident points

buckhorn

Very Active Member
Just curious why 19 nonresident points won't draw unit 67 fourth season but I drew unit 551 fourth season with 15 points. They share the same boundary with each other.Are the deer herds that much different. Just trying to figure out why it takes so many more points to draw 66 or 67 than 551?
Thanks

67 got a lot of publicity this past year. These forums are good for sharing info, but can sure inflate point creep as much as some/we don't want to accept that.

Publicity definitely helps.... from time spent living in, guiding, and hunting the gunnison basin 551has been really down the past decade. The recent winter of 2017 was really hard on that deer herd. 67 has better numbers and statistically has produced better bucks as of lately. Honestly speaking none of the gunnison basin units are worth the points they take. Heck there isn't a unit in all of Colorado that's worth 10 plus points if you ask me.

Coloradoboy

Congrats on drawing, I'm sure you'll find a good one to hammer. Sorry my pard and I won't be back there with you as he didn't draw that 4th season in 67 like we thought he would.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-19 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]>Congrats on drawing, I'm sure you'll
>find a good one to
>hammer. Sorry my pard and
>I won't be back there
>with you as he didn't
>draw that 4th season in
>67 like we thought he
>would.
Tom Im sorry to hear you didn't draw You know if you had the time you could come back to Gunnison and hang out for a week or so and check things out maybe give you some insight on what You want to go for next year. So far I know of three of us in mmers that will be hunting out of Gunnison fourth season bucks this year. Me in 551 another guy in 67 and another has 55. We may all wind up at the same motel so we will be sharing conversation and stories in the evenings. Good luck to you and best wishes thanks, Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. It was my buddies tag, I hunt Colorado every 2-4 years, getting to old to keep holding onto points. Have enough built up in to many stats now to do it any more. After I found out he didn't draw I've put in for a couple of more states in that time frame so who knows. I'll stay in touch.

Could just be the way the unit is managed? For example Unit 61 and unit 62 share the same boundary (dividing road) but you can draw unit 62 with little to no points and 61 takes nearly 15-20 years to draw a 1st rifle bull tag. 61 is managed for trophy potential and 62 is not.
Might be the same scenario as you are speaking of.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom