Colorado Sight Seeing Trip

completesportsman

Long Time Member
Hello CO friends!

My wife and kids, and myself are traveling around Colorado next week. We are going to make a loop, starting at Colorado Springs, and going to Estes Park, RMNP, Glenwood Springs, (Maybe Aspen, not sure yet), Grand Junction, Montrose, Silverton, Durango (going to ride the train)

Are there any must see sites along the route? or are there any must avoid?

Is there a good way to get from Aspen to Montrose? or is best way to go back up to I70 and across, only other way I see is 24/285, and then across 50 through Gunnison.

Thanks!

Wear good glasses on the train if you get an open car. Which you should. Hot cinders suck.

FYI it’s rainy and cold in the SW, and can be anytime.

I agree on Aspen. I’d rather hang in Moab.

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is pretty cool to see and does not take long to visit, but I am not sure how busy it gets in the summer or if there are preferred locations on the east side (gravel roads I think) that are not as busy as the main entrance on the west? As mentioned before, Moab is only 2 hours from Grand Junction (try to hit Arches in the evening late or early early morning if possible).

Don’t forget you’ll need reservations to visit RMNP (after 3PM you don’t) now and they get sold out in advance.
After 3 PM is best to see the elk there in the evenings. The road over the top is pretty awesome, would be cool to take it an hour or two before sunset.

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is pretty cool to see and does not take long to visit, but I am not sure how busy it gets in the summer or if there are preferred locations on the east side (gravel roads I think) that are not as busy as the main entrance on the west? As mentioned before, Moab is only 2 hours from Grand Junction (try to hit Arches in the evening late or early early morning if possible).
The South Rim of The Black Canyon BP is the paved side, you’ll get more and better views from this side. The North Side is unpaved and you look over one cliff with a straight drop of 2400’ but the rest of the views are not as good as the South side.

Wife says they changed our train ride from the two hour trip we had reservations for to a five hour trip, which is from Durango to cascade canyon, we’re not sure if we want to spend 5 hrs on the train, what would y’all do?

Go all the way to Silverton. The whole canyon is spectacular. You used to be able to ride it one way and get driven back down to Durango. Don’t know about these days though.

Cascade creek is only part way up the canyon. You miss the best part.

Go all the way to Silverton. The whole canyon is spectacular. You used to be able to ride it one way and get driven back down to Durango. Don’t know about these days though.

Cascade creek is only part way up the canyon. You miss the best part.

You can’t ride the bus back from Silverton right now, they’ve stopped it because of the 19!

My wife and I and another couple are coming out mid-July for a week. We are flying to Denver and making a loop in the NW part of the state. We will finish up at RMNP and yes, we have our permits.

From Glenwood springs or Aspen area. As stated, go south from Carbondale. But go to Redstone, Marble, and Crystal. Quaint little towns and I love to fish the Crystal river. Then south over McClure pass BUT INSTEAD OF PAONIA AND DELTA, go over Kebler pass to Crested Butte then down to Montrose. Very scenic.

From Glenwood springs or Aspen area. As stated, go south from Carbondale. But go to Redstone, Marble, and Crystal. Quaint little towns and I love to fish the Crystal river. Then south over McClure pass BUT INSTEAD OF PAONIA AND DELTA, go over Kebler pass to Crested Butte then down to Montrose. Very scenic.
The highway from Gunnison to Montrose is closed for hours each day for road construction for the foreseeable future. https://i2.wp.com/crestedbuttereale...s/2021/03/highway-50-closure.png?w=1024&ssl=1

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom