Colorado Unit 18

Jq23

I drew a Colorado unit 18 4th season tag. Just wondering if anyone has done this hunt recently and how it went. I got my hotel booked in hot sulphur springs for the hunt. Any body willing to share some info?

Thanks

This unit is not good if you are looking for a quality buck. Hopefully you didn't burn points to get it. But it is a 4th season tag ,and anything could happen that time of year. Hope for lots of snow!

My wife had the same tag last year. It was a really fun hunt but tough with the weather last year. There will be a ton of hunters chasing elk and you will not see many deer if there is not snow to push them down. With snow you can find some really nice deer but without it you have to find those big bucks deep in the dark timber which can be extremely tough!

>My wife had the same tag
>last year. It was
>a really fun hunt but
>tough with the weather last
>year. There will be
>a ton of hunters chasing
>elk and you will not
>see many deer if there
>is not snow to push
>them down. With snow
>you can find some really
>nice deer but without it
>you have to find those
>big bucks deep in the
>dark timber which can be
>extremely tough!

^^^^^
I'd say this is accurate. Hope for snow, as there are some really good bucks hiding out in that massive ocean of dark timber. I have seen some GIANTS taken out of there during 4th. Good luck

Thanks for the replies. I'm by no means a trophy hunter, not holding out for a 200 incher. I would be happy with a nice 150 to 160 inch buck.

Cover lots of ground and Glass all day and you will find what you're looking for. I've picked up a BOATLOAD of sheds of 160" 4 points off of this unit. There are plenty of those around.

I have wasted time hunting this unit in 2nd season. 4th with some weather and you should be fine.We could only fill 1 doe tag last year. Did see a good buck prior to the opener bedded within 30 yds of a steep drop of dark timber and never spotted him again. Lots of blow down beetle kill and they continue to fall with some wind, so be careful. Had to cut our way out a couple years ago. They have done some mitigation along the roads and have even clear cut some areas but those trees can start falling pretty quick.Be careful as there is lots of Moose in there as well.

It only took a couple points to draw. We'll see how it goes, hopefully get some snow by then. I'll be going over blind but excited to learn new areas.

Looks like they have been busy where I generally hunt. Took every standing dead tree. Some places you can see that you never could before. Some areas look scalped. So much for the dead beetle kill in the area I was. They did not touch the downfall which sucks. I don't know how far they went in other areas.

I've hunted 18 off and on since 1985. Everyone's comments are correct. If you are patient and learn to still-hunt dark timber, there are some really nice bucks. Don't spare the shoe leather and you stand a chance, walk to an opening and sit and you won't see much.

Crusher23

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom