Colorado unit 21 general info (please) safety plus

nocwalker

Ok guys, Unit 21 archery it is for 2012 MD. can some of you maybe answer a few safety type questions? not afraid of anything , just want to know what I'll need to deal with.

Q1-- is there any poisonous snakes , scorpions or anything else I should know about in this unit?

I hope this is the dumbest Q you ever saw on here and are now laughing your asses off right now, it would be worth the effort then :) but I had to ask :)

Q2-- camp security? problems?

Q3-- bears in unit 21? lots or scarce?

Thanks Nocwalker

Lots of big bears that love to eat non-residence...MMMM yummy treat. Ha Western Slope has rattle snakes in a lot of areas but not so much in #21. Lots of mountain lions.

LOL Littlebull, if a bear eats me , it'll probably die!! I once had an embedded tic in the crack of my arse, it died there!! lol

We'll , don't know if I want to spend the time getting a bear out but, maybe. Are they all black? or some colours?

it would be cool to see a MT lion, from enough distance

what kind of temps should we expect in early Sept up on the mountains at night?

we will be staying in a wall tent. I do have a stove for it.

Is there wood available up there for the stove or do we need to bring it in?

LOL Littlebull, if a bear eats me , it'll probably die!! I once had an embedded tic in the crack of my arse, it died there!! lol

We'll , don't know if I want to spend the time getting a bear out but, maybe. Are they all black? or some colours?

it would be cool to see a MT lion, from enough distance
A lot of color phased bears

Temperatures can vary widely from 50 to 30 at night. A snowstorm is not unusual. My family has deep roots to that area. My first deer hunt was on Douglas Pass. September is a great time to be out in that area.

Thanks for the answers guys. Im excited now since I have made the final decision.

I donated 360 lbs of venison to the soup kitchens this year, here we have a program called the HSH, hunters sharing the harvest.

If I were to get a bear tag and shoot one, is there a way to donate the meat to the hungry?

Lower country definitely has snakes (prairie rattlers I believe), never seen many higher up around Douglas and Baxter. Everywhere in Colorado has a lot of bears. there are bears everywhere from top to bottom of the unit. a long the river etc. Scorpions have been seen around as well, again typically lower. As mentioned there are a lot of color phase bears in the area.

I would definitely have a bear tag especially early in sept.

You might want watch a few videos of archery hunting the West. In my opinion Nate Simmons of Western Hunter is as good as anyone. Lee Lekoski of The Crush also does a few Utah hunts which will give you an idea of the terrain and tactics he uses. He is hunting on private ground. When hunting out here if you do not find fresh sign move to another area.

Out of every unit I've hunted throughout the West and I've hunted pretty much every state, unit 21 in CO is not one I'd worry about anything other than just locating animals. Yes, I have hunted 21. Just go hunt and have some fun. W. CO is really neat country without the worries of rugged wilderness, alpha predators or really any of the real concerns in western hunting.

Thanks guys. Not afraid of anything. But it’s nice to know what I might have to deal with so I can prepaid. I’m even ok in deep wilderness at night. Figured I might be crawling on my belly out there. Wanted to know if I might come face to face with a rattler or something. Lol

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom