Colorado Unit 62 Deer

muleyhunter1

I am planning my hunt for 3rd Season 62 deer. I am going on a scouting trip soon and would really appreciate any help in getting started. I am more than willing to share what I see and find if willing to help. Feel free to p.m. me. Thanks a ton!!!

Last year hunters reported on this forum that unit 62 is Colorado's most heavily hunted unit by bow hunters. I realize that this does not answer your question but it does make you aware that the game is there; that most of it is public land; that is possibly easy accessible or not too rugged of terrain to hunt. It must be a popular unit if last year's MM info is correct.

Like i said (third season),unless you have done your homework (Scouting)opening morning the side of the hill will look like a pumpkin patch in late Oct...............good luck

Deer like pumpkins,they bust em with there hooves and eat the insides. If you scout an area and find a couple of nice bucks,how does that change the fact that there will be alot of pumpkins after the same deer.except for the disappointment to see someone else shoot the buck you scouted. How many deer and elk tags do they issue in 62 for the 3rd season.

Deer tags are limited for all seasons, don't know the numbers.
Elk tags are over the counter/unlimited for 2nd and 3rd seasons.
Lots of hunters, but lots of ground too.

Hello muleyhunter,
The time spent scouting is never a waste of time because you learn the roads and get a feel for the unit you will be hunting. So, enjoy your trip!

HOWEVER, you should be aware that where the deer are right now, will be virtually empty of deer come third season. So, if you are hunting Unit 62, third season rifle, for deer, you want to hunt LOW. I'm talking down in the cedars and sage. I doubt you would see many deer there today but, come third season, THEY WILL BE LOW!

Get an Uncomphagre National Forest Map and find public access within 5-15 miles of highway 50, and focus your efforts there.
STAY DOWN IN THE CEDARS AND SAGE!

Glass the canyons for bedded bucks, but be ready anytime because by third season, there are tons of deer down low.

Be patient, & Be picky! It is not a matter of IF you will get your buck, it is a matter of HOW BIG can you hold out for!

That is an AWESOME hunt! Good luck and post your pictures when you get back.

ElkChaser

P.S.
If you don't have a honey hole already dialed in for Elk in that season/unit, don't bother to buy a tag! (unless your a resident and can get it for $30 bucks)

I didn't mean to say scouting was a waste.When your hunting a unit for the first time,you never know where the hunters are going to be on opening day.you can pick a spot and find yourself surounded by hunters at daybreak.I just thought buckbuster64 could have given muleyhunter a little more info/help like you just did.I think he meant you need to get away from the other hunters but if you never hunted a unit before scouting before the season doesn't tell you where the hunters will be.They probably will be in some of the primo areas too.Some people on this site don't give quality info like you just did, elkchaser.Of course you need to scout and get away from the crowds.That would apply to just about anywhere.Thanks for your informative posting Elkchaser!!!!!!!!

Hello Magnummatt,
Your welcome! You guys were just trying to warn everyone how crowded that unit/season is and that needs to be said. Heaven knows that hunt can get real "colorful" (I like the Pumpkin Patch anology) sometimes.

You probably noticed that I was not too specific in my suggestions. The reason for that was not because I was trying to protect some "secret spot". It is already well known and heavily hunted. It was just trying to keep it from getting hunted even harder than it does now.

As an F.Y.I.! It really isn't too difficult to get away from the crowds. Most folks won't (and don't need to!) get more than a 1/4 mile from their truck.

Like I said in my previous post, those bigger bucks like to bed in the canyons and that is where I like to spend my time glassing. The hard part for me has been passing on the "average" three & four pointers I keep seeing on the sage flats while getting over to the canyon rim.

Good luck to everyone this year!

ElkChaser

ElkChaser,
I am sure that you have it pegged.
I haven't spent any time hunting in 62 only driving thru getting to 61 for a couple of hunts. Same thing seems to happen in 61, people all over the roads in rigs and atvs but not all that many really out on foot away from the roads and trails. I actually think that a deer tag in 62 is a pretty good tag. There are more deer tags issued than in 61 but I think the 62 unit is quite abit larger and has more public land than 61. Both have plenty of roads. I was emailed a pic of a really nice 170 size buck that a guy from Colorado got last fall in unit 62, looked like they were down in the P&J sagebrush and I think it was a third season hunt.

I also agree with you(Elkchaser)but you have to get away from the roads,I saw one of the biggest Bucks i have ever seen in that unit prob,200 class Buck,but it was before season in a remote area i would say good unit for Deer (not great)and about avg for Elk.......thats just my opp.Oh by the way the 200 class buck i saw he was in the jack-oaks slipping along.......good luck to all

butkbuster64
you haven't tagged a 180 class buck on the uncompahgre plateau yet.Maybe your spending too much time in the jack oaks slippin along.lookin forward to seein your 2008 buck or bull pics.lets see what you can do partner.by the way i have 8 points too.was going to burn em up in gunny but i think i'm going to draw 61 instead.There's 35k deer on the plateau with a 60% harvest rate.I'll bag a 190 1st time down and be back in town with the ladies while your still beatin the brush.Good luck everyone and please post some pics an make this forum a little more interesting.

oh yea, 61 is one of the top three trophy unit in the state.If you can't tag a 200 buck there. You pretty much can't.

Hey,i hope i see a 200 class buck,i know they are there but seeing & shooting one are feets each to itself.I hope you get a 190 Buck(Magnummatt).I will stay out there in the Bush because i like huntinn.......good luck in both towne& woods to you

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom