Colorado unit 62 Elk

bbarron2018

My best friend has drawn his first elk tag in unit 62 for the first rifle season. I will be taking him and have no experience in the area. Any tips or do's and don't's would be greatly appreciated!

Probably one of the most heavily pressured units in the state. If you’re willing to dive into the nasty deep stuff you could find some success or be one of the few luckily ones that shoots one over the hood of the truck on the divide road.

I once had a tag in 62 that I ended up turning back due to a conflict but not before scrutinizing the maps and terrain. I had developed some plans that I felt really good about but never got the chance to carry out. Basically, find the spots you can't get a quad into and that would be a difficult pack out of. So hit the books and study your way to success, and better yet if you can get at least a weekend scouting trip out there in advance. Lots to do in CO and UT in the area, makes for a great vacation.

The CPW has been limiting 1st season elk tags in Unit 62 for a couple of years. I believe they issued 285 bull tags and 60 cow tags this year. Could be a fun hunt, Although the elk may have been pushed into the scrub oak from muzzle and archery, There will probably be a few up high a few miles off the Divide road. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom