colorado unit 62

Archery--you can be completely alone--no problem especially in the middle of the week. They'll be bugling from muzzy on. Have fun.

Just an opinion but I would look at a different area. For the quality of elk there are way and I mean way to many people.

A quick look at the harvest statistics for 62 show 1941 archery hunters and over 6300 hunters for all seasons!

That is a lot of hunters! All hoping a wandering bull comes out of 61..........

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

myself and 4 other guys hunted unit 62 from sept 5th - the end of archery season this past year.We have hunted this unit during the archery season now for the past 5 years.Each season gets tougher and tougher with more hunters showing up each year.We hunt hard every day and killed 2 bulls last year.the elk here have seen and heard everything and we actually wathed bulls going away from hunters calling.you will have to hike into the nasty spots to have a chance.We only had a couple of days that the bulls were slightly vocal and then they do not really respond well to calling.there were guys calling from almost every lookout and point and we would be down in the canyons and key in on the bulls as they were going away from other hunters trying to call them in.It was pretty sad as most guy's would be calling and the bulls would be moving off in the opposite direction,use this to your advantage.The best time would be the first week before they get to educated.The last week was also good as there were a few less hunters.Next year we are going to hunt unit 35.The hunters were spread out from the divide road all the way down into the oak brush and you had a hard time getting away from all of them.Good luck

I agree that 1st rifle is the best season. The pressure the area gets does keep the elk moving around which will be in your favor. By Sunday afternoon or night a lot of the hunters will leave the area. You can get away from the mass of hunters, takes some work but is doable. They always take a few nice bulls out of 62 each year. Good luck !

My buddy and i are going to be archery hunting for Bull or Cow this September. I found this post you made and was wondering if you could lead us to an area or two we could focus on? We’ll be packing in, ATV as well to get around. With the drought, we thought that sitting water might be productive if we can find some active holes. Could you help us out? Matt

Hi Elkasaurous and dancermatt, I'll be elk hunting unit 62 this archery season and would love to hear how your hunts went and if either of you would mind sharing some helpful information or if I could share my hunt plan with either of you? Thanks Andy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom