Colorado Unit 66 or 67?

AaronS

Will go into next year's draw with 20 NR points, and with the season dates rolling back I'd like to use them. I had settled on Unit 66 3rd rifle, as I would have been clear by a point to have draw it last year in 2019 (I had 18 and it drew out at 17). This year the unit jumped 2 points and it drew out at 19, which is how many I had entering the draw.

For those who are familiar with the area, how much am I giving up (if any) if I settle for 67, which it appears I will surely draw? I'm hoping for a fun DIY hunt, going in with at least a chance at a 180"+ muley and a good chance to put my eyes on a decent number of deer. If I don't find one, that's hunting, but using that many points I at least want to know I have a chance. Are those reasonable expectations for 67? And is 66 likely to creep another point next year?

What's it like hunting the later seasons in either of these units? I'd like to think the deer would have moved down and with the seasons rolling back hoping for maybe a hint of rut activity even in the 3rd. Thanks for any input!

I would assume nothing on the points. I would expect a 3-4 point jump on both units next year. I would tell you that all CO units have 180 potential. Lots of guys are in the same boat as you so everyone is gonna be tight lipped. last year the harvest and mature buck sightings were down, so I would wait for this years report before I locked into something specific. I wish I had your problem.

Rich

I had a 2nd season tag in the unit 66 last year. It was hot and dry. Hunting sucked to say the least. I saw no bucks over 170”, and only a few over 160” I stayed the entire season. I heard from others that 3rd season was pretty poor also. That being said, everyone I talked to in the unit including the landowner I bought the tag from, and the game warden said it was the worst year they had ever seen. I was seeing 5-10 bucks a day, hunting my butt off. From the sounds of it, I should have been seeing 30-40 bucks a day. I don’t think the deer herd was the issue, the weather was terrible for migration and hunting. All that being said I think you will most likely have a great hunt in 66 or 67 if you are hunting the second week of November. Weather or no weather, hunting should be very good in those units by that time, and I would expect to be hunting for a 180+ buck.

I can't compare 66 and 67 cause I've only hunted 67 and only know hunters who've hunted 67. I bow hunted 67 a few years ago. Tough unit to bow hunt but the 3rd and 4th seasons can be great if the weather was right. Have a buddy that's hunted 67 2 or 3 times and his father has hunted it a couple times also. They typically kill 160-175 type bucks but his father shot a high 180 something two years ago. I can help you out on some areas to hunt if or when you draw the tag. I will be hunting 65 this year for an early rifle hunt but will be very close to the 66/65 line. Might have a better idea of the quality bucks after my hunt.

Before you make your decision, I would watch the results of this year's hunts (and then the winterkill after) closely. They increased the tag numbers significantly this year. If the weather cooperates, a lot of the top end bucks could be killed this year and quality will be down next year.

They can both produce giants....but so can 53, 55, 54, 61, 21, 44, 444, 551, 68, or pretty much any Colorado unit. Splitting hairs. That being said
The last 4 years November has been dry and warmer. Making any of the units next to imposible. Big bucks been holing up in the pines.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Will soak on it some more over the next few months and decide how I want to spend them. If anyone else has any thoughts, bring them on!

It’s getting hard to look at trophy potential when they are pushing for Oppurtunity hunting all over the state. There are a lot of hunters with 20 plus points. Good luck with your decision I would wait and see how this year pans out

Thanks guys. Yeah I firmly believe based on my experience there that the name of the game on deer is build up 2-4 points and go every few years, learning one particular unit well as there is potential for those types of bucks in a lot of units. I started accumulating points at 13 years old and then when I got old enough to go regularly we had an in to buy landowner vouchers for 77/771 for a while so I have just been letting the points rack up. Also typically only do 1 big game hunt a year out west and the years I didn't have a mule deer tag in my pocket I was either elk hunting OTC Colorado or out in New Mexico. With the seasons rolling back and having that many points, next year I'm going to skip out on elk and want to go ahead and use my deer points so I can start building to go again in a couple of years and start learning a unit I can draw for 1-4 points.

Tough hunt . Weather got warmer and muddier as week went on. Found two shooters during scouting. Couldn't turn them up once season opened.
Could be great with right Weather. Just didn't happen.

2 weeks out and I figured it's time to revive this thread. After much deliberation I decided to put in for 67 3rd. Good thing because I would not have drawn the tag in 66, nor would I have drawn 4th rifle in either unit obviously. My dad helped me start putting in for points as soon as I had my hunter safety cert 20 years ago, and he is the reason I was able to draw this tag. Fortunately he's kept putting in along with me, and at 62 years old will be joining me on this hunt. We're obviously approaching go time and are very excited. Putting the final touches on gear lists, acquiring last minute items, and finalizing preliminary hunt plans based on the extended forecast. I feel fortunate to be able to spend this time in the woods with the man who taught me how to do this, so I will view this hunt a success even if we bring home unpunched tags.

Still, at the risk of ridicule, I wanted to check in here and see if anyone has any last minute suggestions to offer. Not asking for honey holes, will work to find those on my own. I've been scouring over maps and putting a plan together for this hunt since I picked 67 to apply last Fall. Some of you have already been incredibly helpful and generous, either through phone calls, exchanged texts, etc. to help confirm some of my plans and add to them. Looking forward to hearing how the hunt goes for those of you I've communicated with that are settling in for 2nd opener tomorrow.

I've got ideas and plans for all sides of the unit pending what we see when we get boots on the ground a couple days in advance of the hunt, as well as what the weather and deer are doing. But wanted to reach out for any tips on things I may not be thinking of as the big day approaches. Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

Figured I'd circle back and close the loop here. Posted the results of our hunt in the Colorado page.

Great report. Thanks for sharing. It's a beautiful unit to hunt for sure. Wish I could do it again.
So great that you and dad could experience it together. Planning a Wyo deer hunt with my son for next fall. Making great memories is better than any trophy!!

Thanks guys. Yeah I firmly believe based on my experience there that the name of the game on deer is build up 2-4 points and go every few years, learning one particular unit well as there is potential for those types of bucks in a lot of units. I started accumulating points at 13 years old and then when I got old enough to go regularly we had an in to buy landowner vouchers for 77/771 for a while so I have just been letting the points rack up. Also typically only do 1 big game hunt a year out west and the years I didn't have a mule deer tag in my pocket I was either elk hunting OTC Colorado or out in New Mexico. With the seasons rolling back and having that many points, next year I'm going to skip out on elk and want to go ahead and use my deer points so I can start building to go again in a couple of years and start learning a unit I can draw for 1-4 points.
I had a 2nd season tag in the unit 66 last year. It was hot and dry. Hunting sucked to say the least. I saw no bucks over 170”, and only a few over 160” I stayed the entire season. I heard from others that 3rd season was pretty poor also. That being said, everyone I talked to in the unit including the landowner I bought the tag from, and the game warden said it was the worst year they had ever seen. I was seeing 5-10 bucks a day, hunting my butt off. From the sounds of it, I should have been seeing 30-40 bucks a day. I don’t think the deer herd was the issue, the weather was terrible for migration and hunting. All that being said I think you will most likely have a great hunt in 66 or 67 if you are hunting the second week of November. Weather or no weather, hunting should be very good in those units by that time, and I would expect to be hunting for a 180+ buck.
Like your thoughts ! I’m hoping 67-3 rd will be good, I’m going for entire season staying in Gunnison motel. 3-4 extra days early scouting.
I’m a 75 year old guy but far from dead- I hope !
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom