Colorado unit 71/711 3rd season

Clint

Hey all, I drew a 3rd season mule deer tag for Colorado unit 71/711. I'm not seeking any honey holes (unless you're willing to say), I'm just wondering if anyone is willing to provide some direction, aside from me going out scouting which I'm hoping to try and get out there and check it out before the hunt.

All I can say is I have a cabin in that unit in the aspens at 9000 ft, and the deer disappear from there by the third season. And that was when the 3rd season was earlier, so even more true for this years 3rd season. So you will have to look in the oak brush or Or below that in the pinyon pine/juniper country and hope for snow. But should be a few deer in rut by then

Hey all, I drew a 3rd season mule deer tag for Colorado unit 71/711. I'm not seeking any honey holes (unless you're willing to say), I'm just wondering if anyone is willing to provide some direction, aside from me going out scouting which I'm hoping to try and get out there and check it out before the hunt.
Agreed with txhunter58! The deer were gone up high even earlier last year it seemed like? But definitely great dates to find some early rutting bucks! And scouting doesn’t seem to help a whole lot unless you know of some resident deer? Your kinda waiting for them to show up... Cover a lot of area during your hunt, try and find deer concentrations, and keep checking those areas to see what shows up!
Wasn’t what I was hoping for last year, but I was able to take a decent buck...
9461F8D3-E7E6-472F-8ADA-0042F8CAB95A.jpeg

Good luck!!!

Thats a nice buck for around here, especially if it was taken on public land. Tx's advice sums it up well.

Yes, public land. But not by much?...
And thank you!
We had three tags, and I was the only one who filled. Everyone could have taken smaller bucks, but were holding out. This was the best buck we found. Spindly 3x4, but a little over 30” wide! Couldn’t pass him up...

All I can say is I have a cabin in that unit in the aspens at 9000 ft, and the deer disappear from there by the third season. And that was when the 3rd season was earlier, so even more true for this years 3rd season. So you will have to look in the oak brush or Or below that in the pinyon pine/juniper country and hope for snow. But should be a few deer in rut by then
Thank you

Agreed with txhunter58! The deer were gone up high even earlier last year it seemed like? But definitely great dates to find some early rutting bucks! And scouting doesn’t seem to help a whole lot unless you know of some resident deer? Your kinda waiting for them to show up... Cover a lot of area during your hunt, try and find deer concentrations, and keep checking those areas to see what shows up!
Wasn’t what I was hoping for last year, but I was able to take a decent buck...View attachment 7998
Good luck!!!
Nice buck, Thank you. I'm hoping for a great time.

I used to buy 71/711 PLO tags and hunt that country around Dove Creek.
It was great hunting but we had to stay on the property the tags were originally alloted for, aside from public lands.
We took some dang nice bucks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom