Colorado winter

LouieT

How has the winter been in the Gunnison area? Planning to apply for unit 67 but want to see how the deer have made it through the winter so far before we use out points there.

Thanks

It's been a cold winter so far. Started right after Thanksgiving with overnight temps dropping below zero. The average low temp for January was -10, average high was 23. Snow has been piling up the past few weeks. We're getting heavy, wet spring snow now. Snow is 2 feet deep in my yard right now and we're supposed to get another round today. South facing slopes are still exposed so I think the elk and deer are able to get to food. If I had to guess I'd say we'll have average deer mortality.

They can still eat BUT the limited space to move is what is hurting them right now, they are hard pressed to get away from those things that eat them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

South facing slopes are staying fairly open. Off that the snow is deep and hard to move through. The range isn't in the best shape either after last year's impactive drought. March is typically a big snow month.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Any updates after the "cyclone bomb" hit? i know the deer were in the danger zone in some areas already, hoping it was quick enough that it didn't do much damage?

The temps look good in the Grand Junction area.
Anyone know how the snow was north of GJ this winter ?

The snowpack in the northern half of the western slope is above average, but not as high as the drainages in the southern half. It's been a cold and snowy winter everywhere in western Colorado, but we've finally got some warm temps the last few days. In general the stuff north of GJ should be a little better than the south.

It was 43F driving through Sputh Park tonight and it's supposed to be 68F here in Salida tomorrow. Should be melting quick and hopefully starting green up in time. Heard Gunny has good bare south slopes but lots of highway roadkill on 50. The deer fence along highway need Kremmling saved a bunch of deer this winter. They were stacked along it on Friday chowing down all morning. Let's get some sun and green ?

Anyone got an update on the Gunnison? Was there a bad winter kill? I am also planning on applying for a Gunnison unit.

Hunt planner I talked to said some winter kill in Gunnison Basin. Worse in the North part (50s) than the south part (60s)

If Hunting and Angling Ended
There is no alternative funding system
in place to replace the potential lost
funds for conservation. If hunting and
angling end, funding for wildlife
conservation, including enforcement of
all wildlife laws, will be jeopardized.
Hunters, anglers and shooters actively
support wildlife conservation through
tangible actions such as buying licenses
and paying taxes on hunting, fishing and
shooting equipment. Why are hunters and