Comanche county.

Horsecorn

Very Active Member
Does anyone know if the county is very good deer hunting. I bought a little land just a little ways south west of Gorman. I don’t know what to expect. Hopefully some of you know about the area. Thanks.

don’t hear as much about the deer in that area as I do Coleman County to the west. I believe it is managed by TPWD with the 13” minimum spread rule. I could be wrong as I have not checked for sure. I have friends that hunt Brown County to the SW that do well and as I said Coleman County is good deer hunting in most places. Put up a feeder and camera and see what is there. Some food plots and feeders will help bring in what deer are around!

Thanks. My boy got transferred to Texas from Utah with his oilfield job last March. we bought the land about a month ago and he has put up cameras and there was a feeder already there that has been flipping out corn. (Is that the best feed.) he’s been getting lots of pig and a few bucks so far On camera. I’m not going to go down and hunt till next year cause we are going to set up blinds and such. What do you mean get some food plots. does that mean to plow up an area and plant something. I’ve hunted Utah all my life and have killed lots of big muleys and big bulls but never even seen a whitey. I’m kinda excited to go down there and hunt next year. I do know I sure like the people of Texas. They are real friendly and I love all the trump signs.

1607206899050.jpeg

Yes, plow an area and plant wheat and oats for the fall. Also if you don’t want pigs to run off the deer put up hog panels around feeder. We use10- 16’ panels to circle our feeders. Corn works best from feeder that “spin” to throw corn. If you want to shoot lots of pigs put a green or red light under feeder. You can legally shoot pigs year round any way you want. They do make good sausage and pulled pork by the way. But they will run the deer off from the feeders.

Ok i didn’t know the pigs will run them off. does a guy have to irrigate the food plots or will it come up on its own. thanks for the pic.

Most of us have no way to irrigate food plots. This year I had 11” rain right after planting. The flood washed some of my seed downstream! Had to replant. The east end of my plot looks great but up closer to feeder it suffers from flooding. My plot is about 2 1/2 acres.

Got one of our target bucks opening day, not quite as wide as I thought from game camera pics. First 11 point I have killed. Son and wife both killed mature bucks.

087211A7-3D64-4696-8F02-5EC744BEA265.jpeg

I got another question. Are southern whiteys smaller than northern Whiteys. I’ve heard that they are almost a sub species of the northern. Is that rue.

There are many whitetail subspecies. “Bergman’s” rule is very evident in white tails. The rule states that the farther north you go in a species range the larger the body. Most of our mature bucks in West Central Texas would be small bodied compared to bucks from Kansas or Iowa or farther north.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Texas Guides & Outfitters

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

Vargo Hunting

300k acres for free range auodad, mule deer, elk, whitetail and all the Texas exotics.

Back
Top Bottom