Commissioner's (Elk) tag

D

diddywahdiddy

I have been fortunate, and now have a Wyoming commissioner's tag, which I plan to use for elk. I have hunted elk in WY and NM several times over the past ten years, with best elk at 335-plus in WY and 348-plus in NM. Any advice on WY units, this year (113? 54? 7?) and/or outfitters for an impressive bull? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I am already talking with two outfitters that I've hunted with previously, and had good results hunting private ranches that adjoin Natnl Forest, with us hunting both USFS land and the more remote sections of the private ranches.

Thanks for the info. I do understand the wolves have been hammering/targeting the mature bulls. I've learned there are now THREE things not to bring up in discussion at a party, esp out West, and that is Religion/Politics/WOLVES.
Just spent a week in MT and it is quite interesting to talk with the fishing guides/park rangers/ranchers...initial goal of 30 breeding pairs in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, and now we are at AT LEAST 105 breeding pairs...somewhere a balance has to be reached...and the wolves have to be managed/harvested to levels that don't decimate the Northern Yellowstone herd, the Madison Junction herd, and the Shiras moose population in YNP/GTNP.

Yep its an ugly discussion. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation just barely sent out their viewpoint. It was very direct and did not beat around the bush. A friend of mine hunted the unit just north of Jackson last year on a migration hunt. I can not remember the unit number but he ended up shooting a 320 class bull. Said that he did not see hardly any mature bulls and only seen a handful of yealings. He was not impressed to say the least.

I know that unit 7 has one of the largest heards in the state. They also issue the most tags. Private is the way to go up there. I have talked with a few people that have shot great bulls and have talked with a lot of people that shot below average bulls.

Thanks again. I'm supposed to talk with one of my friends, who lives in WY, this weekend. He is contacting some of the ranchers he knows in the unit 113 area...Rochelle Hills...Dull Center Rd area...I've been poring over the DeLorme map I have. I'm also trying to get in touch with another buddy who now lives in Eastern MT who lived in NewCastle WY most of his life...to see if he can give me some connections.
I agree about area 7, that 'private' is the way to go. I've seen when the Medicine Bow Natnl Forest gets hammered, the walk-in areas get lots of traffic, and the herds of elk 'rest up' on the private ranches near Harris Park and other ranches to the NW and SW of there.
My friend in Cody is checking his leased ranches, also, to see what critters show up.
It's good to have outfitters that are friends, as with the random draw, we'll hopefully hunt together again sooner than later.
I like a project, so this is my project for this year, trying to kick-up my experience and find an area with a chance at a truly impressive animal...nothing like antler gleam in the morning or in the rays of the setting sun out West...better than Sir Gawain's quest for the Silver Chalice...King Arthur...big bulls are our legendary quest and spiritual experience in our time...in my opinion.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom