compact tripod

bombero

Looking at a compact setup for my pack. I am looking at the manfrotto M-y carbon tripod with the jim white head. Any suggestions or experience with this set up or others. Thanks in advance.

I was looking at old threads and am now looking at the slik 613cf. I think I would rather have the quick locking style legs, does anyone know of a similar tripod without twist stlyle legs.

i have the carbon fiber 190 manfrotto and love it, but for packing i would look at the Outdoorsmans tripods, they are pricey but i think they would be better if you packed in. if i had it to do all over again i would get the outdoorsmans.

good luck,

phillip

I have experimented with quite a few tripods over the past couple years. Including a couple K&K's, Bogen, Vortex High Country and recently the Slik 613CF. The Slik is my favorite, by far! Solid, lightweight, easily adjustable and did I mention solid? A BIT less money than the Outdoorsman too.

I am going back and forth between the slik you have and the benro around that size because of the leg locks. Have you heard anything on the benro. I will be putting a jim white head on either I choose. Thanks for the imput.

I have not seen the compact Benro in person, though I did see the larger version at a local camera dealer. This is the first tripod that I have had that has the twist lock legs and so far I like them a lot! A little slower to get adjusted, but they are very solid and seem that you can tighten them a little better.

Currently I am using a Promaster tilt and pan head. That is temporary. Th High Country was ok, but the lower leg sections were worthless as it got very wobbly.

ThThat will eventually be replaced. I would like to get the Jim White, but that will be tough pill to swallow based on the price and more importantly, the lack of a pace to be able to look at it locally.

Colo3D,
Keep saving up the coins for the Jim White, even sight unseen you will be very satisfied with the design. The Outdoorsman pan head (another great choice)is a little lighter by a couple ounces but I just prefer the ergonomics of the Jim White head. I really like the panning handle and the tension adjusters for panning and elevation. You will not be disappointed.
BB

By the way, the post in which I look illiterate, was posted from my Blackberry while I was on the mountain.

COLO3D,

I talked to Terry at the Outdoorsmans for you...

If you would like to "look" at the Jim White head, he will gladly sell it to you and ship it out. If for any reason you are not satisfied with it, you can return it as long as it is in it's original condition and packaging. If you return it will cost you the price of shipping, but it sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up anyway.

I have never used it in the field, but I can tell you it is lightweight and very well made. I'm sure you will be happy!

Don't forget, they are also Bogen/Manfrotto dealers if you decide to go that way.

Call the Outdoorsmans (800-291-8065) if you have any further questions. I'm sure they will do whatever they can to help you out!

Good luck!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Trent,

Thank you very much! I will be calling them in the weeks to come and placing that order.

Henry

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-10 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]I was looking at the picture of the Jim White head, is the handle really on the left side? I am right handed and think it would feel different that whan I am used to. Or is there a way that you can flip it so the handle is on the right side? Thanks for any input.

Yes, if the Jim White handle is pointing back at you, it is on the left.

Take a look at the Outdoorsmans Pan Head... the pan and tilt adjustments are on either side of the head. The handle (which is used for nothing other than moving the head) can be flipped around. If you want the handle on the left (when pointing back at you) then the pan adjustment will be on the left. If you want the handle on the right, the pan adjustment will be on the right.

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete

Yeah I was hoping that you could do that with the Jim White because it is cheaper. Thanks for the input. I have another question for you Trent sense you seem to know quite a bit. On the outdoorsmans are the locks for the legs the screw kind or the quick snap kind if you understand what I am asking?

jarheadhunter,

On the Outdoorsmans tripods, the type of leg lock depends on the tripod size.

On both the Small and Medium, there is only one extension piece and it uses a cam-style flip lock.

On the Tall, there are two extensions. The first uses the cam-style flip lock and the second uses a collar-style screw adjustment.

I think the collar adjustment is a little harder to use than the flips, but I've gotten used to both because I prefer the tall tripod.

P.S. I'm assuming by your name that you're a Marine... thanks for your service!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete

Yes I am and thanks for showing your appreciation. Thanks for the help on the tripod too. I like a tall tripod too since I am about 6'1" and like to or have to stand when I do most of my glassing. I dont think that I would like the screw legs so I will probably pass on the tripod. I will be getting one of there heads though.

They can't build a custom tripod with cam locks on both extensions because the second extension is smaller than the first, which necessitated the different lock.

If you are getting an Outdoorsmans head, I would suggest ordering the legs, too. They will make you pay for them upfront, but as long as they are still in absolutely perfect condition, they will let you return them. That way, you could get them in your hands and play with them indoors to see if they would work for you.

One more suggestion however: since you are 6'1", you should also get the Long Extension, which will make it very easy for you to glass from a standing position. I am 5'11" and find the extension very helpful, though not necessary. At 6'1" I think it would help you a ton. It will allow you to raise your glass just a little bit higher so you can stand in a fully-upright position.

Whichever way you go with the legs, let the Outdoorsmans know you talked to me on Monster Muleys and don't forget they also sell the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods.

Good luck!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete

Cool thanks for the input. I guess I never really thought about the legs being different sizes. I will have to save up my pennies for that tripod setup though $700 is a lot for a tripod by the time I buy the long extension for it. I have a carbon fiber velbon el carmagne 635 right now and its pretty good and only weighs 3.4 lbs. So I would actually go up in weight to get the tall and the tall extension. I would loose about 2lbs if I put one of there heads on though that would be nice.

If you already have legs that you are happy with, there is no point in spending the money. Use that extra cash to go hunting!!

Do you plan to mount binoculars on your setup, too, or just a spotting scope??

I STRONGLY suggest mounting your binoculars if you don't already. It makes a huge difference in your glassing success. Either way, check out the Outdoorsmans Binocular Adapter and Stud system. It is by the far the smallest, lightest weight, and most solid method of mounting your binoculars. The bottom of the Binocular Adapter will dovetail perfectly into the Pan Head and positively tighten with a thumb screw! Also be sure to get a couple extra adapter plates for your spotting scope, camera, video camera, etc.

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete

jarheadhunter,

Your wish is my command...

I just talked to the guys at the Outdoorsmans and they are in the process of developing a Tall Tripod with cam locks on both sections! I guess it has been quite an undertaking and it is not 100% yet, but keep your eyes peeled towards the end of the year. Hopefully they will be able to make it work!!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete

Sweet that would be awesome if they make that new tripod I would actually have to get one. I have never used my binos on a tripod I will have to pick up one of there adapters and try it. I guess I never thought it would make that much of a difference. Thanks for the info on the tripod I will keep my eyes open.

Putting your binoculars on a tripod makess ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD! I would just as soon leave my water behind as my tripod-mounted binoculars...

I obviously use a tripod for a spotting scope, too, but I use the spotting scope only for trophy judging or determining if that animal is really an animal and not just a rock.

With tripod-mounted binoculars, you can glass longer and further, and you will definitely be a more effective glasser. Without imparting any handshake into your binoculars, you can discern details better and pick up more movement (like the shake of an ear or the flip of a tail.) Since you don't have to hold your binoculars up to your face, you can get comfortable either sitting or standing and simply peer through your binoculars. Your arms, back, and eyes won't get as tired or sore, which means you can glass for a longer time period each day.

Without a doubt, my most valuable hunting tool is my tripod-mounted binoculars!!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete

>jarheadhunter,
>
>Your wish is my command...
>
>I just talked to the guys
>at the Outdoorsmans and they
>are in the process of
>developing a Tall Tripod with
>cam locks on both sections!
>I guess it has been
>quite an undertaking and it
>is not 100% yet, but
>keep your eyes peeled towards
>the end of the year.
>Hopefully they will be able
>to make it work!!
>
Anyone got any inside info if that new Tall tripod will be coming soon????....Ive been wanting to buy one before i go on my ibex hunt next month and iam not sure if iam going to need to look for other options...

Do you have a comparison of the Outdoorsmans head compared to the Jim White head (I have experience with that one)?

Just some info on my opinion on the JW head, but it is just an opinion. It is better than a stock head that you get with some cheaper tripod set ups, but I find a few things I dislike. First the good. When you set it into lock mode, it does a great job of locking. No wobble or movement of the head at that point. The panning screw also allows you to set it with some tension if you like that. The dislikes are the pan lever is very small. If you are a forward pointing type person its on the left and your hand is on your face. If you are using a spotting scope and turn it away from you, it is a little uncomfortable on the reach. Another thing is it is a tight fitting system with the adapter plates. If they get a little dirty or any dings in them, they don't fit well and you got to replace it. They are light weight and easy to ding. It also gets dust build up in the head. Maybe lube or grease in the balls that attracts it, not sure. Finally it seem slike it is either locked or totally free and I have seen a couple people using a spotting scope that the weight took over and tipped the tripod over. Can be expensive on glass! I have heard good things on the outdoorsmans but never tried it. Lots of other heads out there as well if you can find a camera store to play around in for awhile.

>Do you have a comparison of
>the Outdoorsmans head compared to
>the Jim White head (I
>have experience with that one)?
>
It is still a pistol grip. I don't own one, but have handled it in the store. Although the squeeze pressure is lighter than a Manfrotto pistol grip I have, you still got to have your hand engaged to move it. Now with a spotter, this may not be much of a demand, but glassing with binos for extended periods like Coues hunting, I like my Jim White head, because with the slightest facial pressure on the eyecups, it turns and your hand is not engaged.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom