Complete New arrow setup

D

DBArcher

I am going to change my whole arrow setup this spring. I shoot a Martin Panther set at 26 inch draw and 65 pounds. I want to be able to shoot Mule deer out to 50 yards, and maybe even elk. I am also changing my broadhead. I don't know which way to go

Hows it going DB? What are you leaning towards? Carbon or aluminum? I've had great results from Easton ACC's but stopped using them about 5 years ago and now shoot Gold Tip 55/75's. They are half the cost and are very durable. As far as broadheads, I've used Rocky Mountain Ironheads (125 grn) for quite a while also. I've used this setup for 7 mulies and 2 elk and have had no problems. There are several options out there for you. You just need to find the one thats good for you. Good luck!

1. There is only an 8 grain difference in total arrow weight between a 28.5" Easton 2312 XX78 Super Slam Select (swaged nock end) and a PSE CFE 300 or Gold Tip Hunter 55/75 with 100 grain points. If you use the Easton Redline Unibushings and G-nocks in your carbons they are the same exact weight as the 2312's.

2. Easton SS Selects are $75 dozen ready to go from Lancaster Archery. This compares favorably to any of the higher straightness carbons.

3. Aluminums are the easiest arrows to tune. You can heat and pull the tips, cut 1/4" from the arrow until you get it spined perfectly for your set up and shooting style. Carbons are glued in tips that can not be removed for tuning purposes.

4. Aluminums can be spin tested to get your inserts and BH's perfectly aligned. With carbons you are stuck with what you get when you glue the inserts in.

5. Thin walled aluminum shafts dent VERY easily when shot into the same spot.

6. By using Easton Redline Unibushings and G-nocks in the back of any of the common ID carbons, you will have virtually bombproof arrows.

7. Carbons are available anywhere, fletched and ready to cut and glue for your setup. The SS Selects almost always have to be ordered.

With all that said I've been shooting the 2312 SuperSlam Selects with Rocky Mountain Titanium 100's at 28" and 62 lbs draw. They group right with my PSE Carbon Force Extremes perfectly all the way out to 60 yards believe it or not. I don't even have to do a thing to my set up to get them to work with a drop away.

The difference is that my groups are much tighter with the aluminums. Go figure! After 9 years of shooting carbons I've gone back to aluminums for hunting. They are just easier to tune and set up for perfect arrow flight.

Just my $0.02 from my experiences.

Cheers,
Pete

Take a look at the new Easton Axis shaft www.eastonarchery.com .
I have heard a lot of good things about this shaft. I am going to give tham a try this fall with a Magnus Suffer of one of the Magnus stingers.

Mark

Get the gold tips, you won't be sorry! I have been shooting them for five years and won't be switching to the Johnny come latelys of the archery world. Aluminums are dinosaurs! I shoot muzzy 3 blade 125 grain broadheads and have great arrow flight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom