Computer Issue

mossback50cal

Very Active Member
Hey guys,

I have a Windows Vista computer at home, it has been behaving very funny. When I try to play a video, I get very choppy playback, and the sound is just as choppy. Occurs with any video, DVD movies, videos from here, sports sites. the only videos that behave normally are youtube.... That is where I am confused with it. I work for Apple, and if this were a Mac, I could troubleshoot and fix it with no problem, but don't know anything about Windows.. Any ideas what it might be?

Hey guys,

I have a Windows Vista computer at home, it has been behaving very funny. When I try to play a video, I get very choppy playback, and the sound is just as choppy. Occurs with any video, DVD movies, videos from here, sports sites. the only videos that behave normally are youtube.... That is where I am confused with it. I work for Apple, and if this were a Mac, I could troubleshoot and fix it with no problem, but don't know anything about Windows.. Any ideas what it might be?

Sounds like your player (hardware). If it is on warranty then they should send you a new one to swap out.

Sounds like your player (hardware). If it is on warranty then they should send you a new one to swap out.

Could be an issue with Windows Media Player. Try using VLC player, it works well with any format....

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

2a0fcsk.gif

It's a Vista.

Had all sorts of problems with it - switched back to XP - much better. Though Tony's solution is probably a lot easier to do.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

It's a Vista.

Had all sorts of problems with it - switched back to XP - much better. Though Tony's solution is probably a lot easier to do.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-11 AT 02:49PM (MST)[p]Hey MB-

Are you still seeing this problem? What I recommend is that you press these 3 keys at the same time: ctrl + alt + delete,

You should then see a few options, press the Task Manager option and that will open a new window. From there you have a few tabs to look at. First look at the bottom of the window and you'll see CPU usage. If it's above 85% then you'll most likely see crappy video or hear choppy audio. I"m guessing the CPU is pegged at 100%. From there look at the top tabs and select PROCESSES and then you should see a "chart" that has image name, user, CPU......click the CPU column a time or two and that will sort (either ascending or descending) which processes are sucking the CPU's life away. If it's WMP.exe (Window's Media Player) then, you most likely need some more RAM or you may need to defragment your hard drive (gotta love Windows).

There could be a host of other issues, but if you're experiencing these problems when using a DVD, then you can rule out a congested internet connection.

Again, you could have a bunch of problems, but these are a few I'd look at.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other ???? then PM me.

TRH

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-11 AT 02:49PM (MST)[p]Hey MB-

Are you still seeing this problem? What I recommend is that you press these 3 keys at the same time: ctrl + alt + delete,

You should then see a few options, press the Task Manager option and that will open a new window. From there you have a few tabs to look at. First look at the bottom of the window and you'll see CPU usage. If it's above 85% then you'll most likely see crappy video or hear choppy audio. I"m guessing the CPU is pegged at 100%. From there look at the top tabs and select PROCESSES and then you should see a "chart" that has image name, user, CPU......click the CPU column a time or two and that will sort (either ascending or descending) which processes are sucking the CPU's life away. If it's WMP.exe (Window's Media Player) then, you most likely need some more RAM or you may need to defragment your hard drive (gotta love Windows).

There could be a host of other issues, but if you're experiencing these problems when using a DVD, then you can rule out a congested internet connection.

Again, you could have a bunch of problems, but these are a few I'd look at.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other ???? then PM me.

TRH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom