Confused about Nevada draw

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
So I understand the squaring of the points. What I don't understand is how the first through fifth choices work. For example in Utah, you will almost never draw your second choice because all those tags are gone after first choice, let alone third fourth or fifth. The way I understand it, is you have a decent shot of drawing your second third fourth and fifth options in Nevada, correct? Are your points still gone if you draw something beside your first choice? Should you put the hunts you want to draw the most as your first or second choice? I'm guessing so. Anybody that could explain this to me I'd appreciate it, thanks.

If your lucky number comes up in the draw all five choices will be looked at. If there are none left in your first choice they will look at your second and third and so on. Last year I drew a tag on my fourth choice.
If you’re lucky number comes up in the draw all five choices will be looked at. If there are none left in your first choice they will look at your second and third and so on. Last year I drew a tag on my fourth choice.You should study the draw odds and make your choices according to the hardest to draw first and then so on.

Some of my above message got repeated I am voice texting. You don’t have to fill out all five choices unless you want to. If you really want to draw a tag and hunt this year you would probably put a couple of choices for hard to draw units and then the last three choices would be easier to draw but less desirable hunts. If you have a lot of points and don’t want to use them on a less desirable Hunt only do one or two choices for example.
One word of caution. Some of the units around the larger cities are harder to draw because the more locals put in for it because it’s close to home. Not necessarily that it has more quality animals.

You can also mix archery and muzzleloader and rifle hunt’s within your five choices as long as they are for the same species and same sex.

Buckhorn thank you so much for the information. The next two years I have some hunts I should be able to draw. So in three I would want to draw a Nevada deer hunt. Is it reasonable to think you could get a decent rifle hunt on your third year of putting in? If not that what about a decent archery hunts?

Here’s a link to the bonus point draw data. The resident hunts are listed first and if you scroll down far enough you will come to the nonresident hunts.
It will show you how many points each applicant had and what choice they drew their hunt on.
Feel free to ask any questions if you need help.

Thank you!

buckhorn hit the nail on the head. I too drew a deer tag last year with my 4th choice. I always study the draw data and make some of my choices based on that and others just by logistics due to proximity to where I live.
Everyone that enters has a chance at drawing it’s just that your odds go up obviously with the more points you have.
As buckhorn offered feel free to ask if you have any questions, I’d be happy to help. You can even PM me if you want.

Well you guys have been very helpful. I have another question for you. In Nevada I will have to buy the $155 non-resident license and then $10 for deer and Antelope and 15 for Elk. So, do I have to pay the full amount for elk and deer and Antelope before the draw or only if I am successful? So $1200 elk $240 for deer and $300 antelope. I hope the answer to that is, only if I am successful.?

As you said, you purchase your license then the $10, $15 and so on are paying to “apply” for that tag. Regardless if you do or do not draw, you forfeit that money to the state so to speak for entering the raffle. Sort of like buying a raffle ticket.
Then, if you draw you pay for the respective tag for that given animal.

Yep 3TOE said it correctly.
If you study the draw stats in the link I posted above you will see that unfortunately drawing a quality hunt in Nevada is very slim odds especially for a non-resident. There is always a chance with few points. The more points you have the better your odds will get especially with the squaring system. Unfortunately that may take a lot of years and a lot of dollars to play the game.
There are some very big animals in Nevada but I can tell you they don’t come easy. Even in the most sought after units you are going to have to really work at it (Or hire a guide that knows the unit well ) to get a top end Buck or Bull.
I would guess that on average it would take a resident about 7 to 10 years to be in the running to draw a high demand deer or antelope tag. Longer for elk and sheep.
For a nonresident much longer than for residents.
Study those statistics!!!
I am not trying to discourage you. I say go for it. If and when you draw a hunt in Nevada I’m sure some of us will be more than happy to help you with your hunt.. You won’t draw a tag if you don’t apply for one that’s for sure.

If you draw a tag, I’d be happy to help any way I can. If I have the time available I would even get behind some glass to help you locate an animal. ??
Good luck man & let us know if you draw & where.

Very cool of you guys. I am hoping I can find something that I can draw every 3 to 4 years even if it is archery. I know nothing is guaranteed. I will study those draw odds, I sometimes enjoy doing that anyway. Thanks again!

3TOE
I see you’re from Vegas.
My son has nine resident deer points this year. He will be putting in for one of the hunts near you.
I killed a buck that scored 218 there in 2015.
You got any deer points? How much spare time do you have?
PM?

Sorry, I was watching the Knights play. I drew this past year so I’m at ZERO now. I can share some intel on a killer unit. I travel for work but I save vacation time for hunting. Worse case scenario I could lend some help on the weekends. PM me!

I believe unit 10 tags are the most prevelant in the state. I would put a unit 10 ML or rifle as 4th and 5th if you really want to hunt. I believe I am correct saying that. If you draw a unit 10 tag, I have hunted there once and can give you good info on how NOT to hunt it. LOL. Yes, tag soup!

I believe unit 10 tags are the most prevelant in the state. I would put a unit 10 ML or rifle as 4th and 5th if you really want to hunt. I believe I am correct saying that. If you draw a unit 10 tag, I have hunted there once and can give you good info on how NOT to hunt it. LOL. Yes, tag soup!
Wish
You are correct that hunt Area10 has the most tags. Area10 includes units 101 through 109. If a person wanted an easier tag to draw, a hunt in that unit group would be a good last choice.

Wish
You are correct that hunt Area10 has the most tags. Area10 includes units 101 through 109. If a person wanted an easier tag to draw, a hunt in that unit group would be a good last choice.
Wiszard
Sorry for the misspelling. I wish I knew how to edit a post on this new format. Can anyone help me?

buckhorn- I cant help... I managed to figure it out once, but now I don’t remember what I did. Lol
I asked the question up in the new forum talk and founder answered it there if you want to check it out. Thanks

Wiszard
Sorry for the misspelling. I wish I knew how to edit a post on this new format. Can anyone help me?
Click on the 3 dots and down arrow on the lower left hand side of your post. It will say Edit, Delete etc...
Then you can change / fix your post.

Sorry- I just saw your response.
It’s all good
Any idea when the Nevada Application book should be out?

We sure are dry up here in north western part of the state how’s it looking down there?
Hope we get some moisture soon.

No idea... I generally will check randomly at Walmart or Big5 until I finally stumble across one.
We had a full day of rain last Saturday, but nothing since then.

I hope they post the mule deer return data sooner this year. Last year I emailed NDOW just a few days before the start of the draw requesting the info. IMO they should have that posted weeks in advance of the start of the draw.

Regs usually seem to come out around mid March to the 3rd week of March if memory serves. About 3 weeks out. Deadline is usually 3 weeks into April. I usually apply mid April. Pretty dry in the Northeastern region too. Winter kill shouldn’t be an issue this year I wouldn’t think.

It’s all good
Any idea when the Nevada Application book should be out?
Just picked up a few copies of the Hunting Guide.
B72F9826-058D-4603-99B5-5B1D04D3EAA2.jpeg

We sure are dry up here in north western part of the state how’s it looking down there?
Hope we get some moisture soon.
Just picked up a few copies of the Hinting Guide.

Oops. Regs come out before mid to later March. Meant that’s when you can start applying. Sorry about that!

Oops. Regs come out before mid to later March. Meant that’s when you can start applying. Sorry about that!
Lol... no problem. I need to start doing my research. I have enough points to have a fair shot at drawing an elk or desert big horn tag. This year will be a wash on the deer tag since I drew last year.

I drew last year for Deer as well. Waiting period for Antelope and Bull elk. 3 points for cow and moderate amount for Desert, Cali, Rocky and Mtn. Goat, but not enough probably. Still try though. Should at least draw Cow hopefully. My kids have points too though. Daughter has 2 youth points and 4 elk and Antelope. She should draw deer I hope. Son has 2 for elk and Antelope.

Nice man!
My waiting period for buck antelope is over. I’m so happy they reduced it to 3 years. I have a few doe pronghorn points. 8 points for all of the bighorn species, bull elk & Mtn goat.
Im scared the year is going to come where I draw 4 or 5 tags in one year. Lol
I also put in for UT & NM this year. ??

Play the game. I need to apply for Utah this weekend. 19 Elk points and 11 for Deer, Antelope and Moose.

You are absolutely right. I didn’t even realize I picked up a copy from last year. Lol too funny.

It’s good to have that guidebook to See what the most recent quotas were.
You can also see what the 2019 quotas were buy looking at the bonus point draw data on the NDOW website.
I also check the quotas for the residents junior deer hunts and the non-residents to get an idea of how much pressure will be on any particular deer hunt.

That’s a good point. I have a new system that I started going by personally. I first look for units with a high trophy potential then I narrow those down that have had a success rate of 80% or greater.
I won’t draw many tags that way, but when I do it will be in a solid unit.

They are out. Give you a little later to apply this year. No more elk management tags and no more drawing multiple elk tags either. You can apply for more than 1 elk hunt (ex. Cow, Spike, Bull) but only draw one tag for that species. I like it. More opportunity. Increased odds.

2FFCF8FD-5651-4F42-98EC-135081CA22A8.png

They are out. Give you a little later to apply this year. No more elk management tags and no more drawing multiple elk tags either. You can apply for more than 1 elk hunt (ex. Cow, Spike, Bull) but only draw one tag for that species. I like it. More opportunity. Increased odds.
Good deal! Thanks for sharing the info. I like the changes on the elk draw. I will have to spend some time doing some reading and research now.

I just listened to the NDOW podcast it has good info on changes this year and mentioned they are giving a class in both Reno and Vegas on march 25 for info on the Draw process

Very cool of you guys. I am hoping I can find something that I can draw every 3 to 4 years even if it is archery. I know nothing is guaranteed. I will study those draw odds, I sometimes enjoy doing that anyway. Thanks again!
Hey schoolhouse! I’m going to do a little research this morning & share my findings & what I might apply for if I were a NR.
You said you would even be interested in an archery hunt, what about muzzleloader?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom