Controlled hunt 40-2

Idahoshedhead

I am thinking of putting in for this hunt but i am scepticle after talking to a few people, has anyone ever drawn it and what are some helpfull hints if i do draw it.

I drew this tag in 2005. It takes lots of time and patience to find a good buck, and even more to find a way to get close, but it can be done. There are very few places to get away from roads, motorcycles and ATV's. Quality in this hunt is not what it used to be as you have already heard, it sounds like. Send me an e-mail if you have any questions.

DHE

I'm done applying for this hunt. I think the odds of drawing were around 17% last year? The odds of drawing this tag get worse every year. I'd rather take my chances on a controlled rifle hunt even with less than a 10% chance to draw.

One less application you will have to compete with this year... Good Luck.....

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-08 AT 07:01PM (MST)[p]Thanks, it looks like i am gonna pass on that tag and try for unit 18 instead. I know there is great potential up there. Have any of you ever drawn that tag?

Ive drawn unit 18 deer before, as far as deer goes, its a decent unit for an average buck. The big ones are few and far between. My girlfriend drew a couple of years ago,we spent 6 summer weekends, then 2 solid weeks up there. we walked most of the unit and looked over more than 50 bucks, on the last day, she tagged out on the biggest one we had seen, which was only a 175 class 4x4. Im done putting in for deer in that unit. Idaho county has only put <5 bucks in book in the last 20 years. Furthermore, there are only 3 roads that access the unit. We were hiking in 4-7 miles and still were in a foot race with half a dozen other guys every morning. If you can get on some private ground on the salmon side or have horses, your chances will be better. In 4 seasons up there, ive only seen one booner in that unit...and that was in downtown Riggins in my headlights at 3:00 a.m.!

well hopefully this year with the burn last year they have great vegitation and awesome antler growth. I had a friend send me a photo of a 5x5 they saw while whitetale hunting that scored 180+ easy, so i have a place to start if i do draw. thanks for the info.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom