Cooper Firearms

HalfAce

Very Active Member
Anybody here have a custom rifle made by Cooper Firearms? If so, I have a few questions:

1. Are you happy with the rifle?
2. Is it hitting at or close to the 1/2" at 100 yards guarantee?
3. What was the leadtime quoted for your gun?
4. Did they deliver close to their quoted leadtime?
5. For the money ($2,275), are there better custom rifles out there than a Cooper?
5. When any custom rifle company says their guns shoot 1/2" or better at 100 yards, are they shooting with their own handloads or are they shooting factory ammo?

I am taking a serious look at their Excalibur Model 52, just cant make up my mind on what caliber I want.

I've been wanting a custom gun for some time, was thinking about making a purchase with them. Any reason not too?

Thanks for any of your thoughts guys.

My buddy has one in 300 RUM and he can only get 1.5" groups at 100 yds with factory ammo. He has tried the HSM with Bergers and the Nosler match with LRAB bullets. He is going to sell it this year and build a custom. He is an retired sniper for the SWAT team so I don't think it is his shooting ability. Maybe this is an isolated occurrence, but you can get a very well built custom on a Remington action for the same price that will shoot much better.

I was $2550 out the door for my 300 WIN, and it is grouping 1/4" at 100yds.

}}-SLIVER-->

I shoot a Cooper Model 52 in a 300 Win Mag. It shoots as good as any custom rifle out there. I shoot Nosler Accubonds with exceptional results(a 4" group at 1000 yards) It shot as good as my 4000.00 custom rifle I had built so I sold my custom. I love this gun.

Thanks for your replies guys. Really on both ends of the spectrum as far as accuracy goes. Sliver, I don't doubt your friend is a bad shot. Like you said, maybe its just an isolated occurrence, but that's the type of story that scares me. I cant afford to put down that kind of money, just to get a gun that shoots like a $900 factory gun. Also, I don't reload, so I don't have the luxury to be able to mess with different bullets/loads other than what's available on the market.

tkhunt, your results with your gun sound amazing. Are you shooting your own reloaded ammo? Factory ammo? If you shoot your own reloaded ammo, did it take you some playing around with different loads before you got to the "magic formula"?

I just got my M52 300 Wby Mag, and it shoots Hornady ELD X load into very close to .5 MOA. Was the first factory load that I tried. I'm ordering my turret for this load, and I expect some critters will meet their end this fall and beyond.

My buddy has a 30-06, not sure what model. IMO there not worth the 2K+, but I also feel that a lot of the full customs that are 3-4K+ aren't worth that either. I have owned full blown custom rifles and they met every detail I wanted. I was able to pick out every detail from stock,trigger,action,barrel,barrel length. It shot good as well. But I have found that more and more savage rifles I shoot will be right there with the custom hunting rifles. My buddies 30-06 best group he has gotten with factory ammo has been 1". My rem 700 mountain 30-06 shoots 1-1/4" groups at a 100 yards. My savage 10T 6.5 creed shoots 3/4" groups at 100, I got it on sale for $499.

My point is a lot of $500-$700 guns will shoot 1.5" MOA or better, throw a better stock on for $250ish and your group will shrink possibly.

I would ask why you think you need a custom rifle? How far do you plan on shooting? At 500 yards a 1.5MOA gun only has a 2.5" larger diameter over a 1 MOA gun, thats only 7.5" which is well with in the kill zone of any deer or elk

I bought a Cooper in 6.5 284 last year based on a friends recommendation and a little research. All I can say is wow I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I do reload but I got it to shoot 3 shot touching groups with very little effort. I was hitting milk jugs at 800 only weeks after buying the gun and last season I was able to kill 2 coyotes at 760 yards 1 at 425 and an antelope at 570. In my opinion it's a tough rifle to beat for the money. There definitely not cheap but kinda middle of the road between a regular factory gun and a custom. Triggers are exceptional, extremely smooth action, bedded well and match grade barrels. I used to be a huge Remington fan and I do still have one that shoots great but there quality has gone down hill. I know that statement will probably ruffle some feathers but I've seen several in the last few years first hand that have had numerous issues. I was told that Remington was bought out by someone else but not sure on any of that. I've also got a Tikka that I love and would definitely buy another one of those as well.
Just my 2 cents take it for what it's worth I'm not trying to sell you on anything just giving somewhat of a review based on my recent experiences with the previously mentioned rifles.

>I shoot a Cooper Model 52
>in a 300 Win Mag.
> It shoots as good
>as any custom rifle out
>there. I shoot Nosler
>Accubonds with exceptional results(a 4"
>group at 1000 yards) It
>shot as good as my
>4000.00 custom rifle I had
>built so I sold my
>custom. I love this
>gun.

4" Groups at 1,000 Yards?

It Won't Be Long and a 22" PISSCUTTER will be known as a Trophy that will be put on the Wall!

90087hankjr.jpg

>Anybody here have a custom rifle
>made by Cooper Firearms? If
>so, I have a few
>questions:
>
>1. Are you happy with the
>rifle?
>2. Is it hitting at or
>close to the 1/2" at
>100 yards guarantee?
>3. What was the leadtime quoted
>for your gun?
>4. Did they deliver close to
>their quoted leadtime?
>5. For the money ($2,275), are
>there better custom rifles out
>there than a Cooper?
>5. When any custom rifle company
>says their guns shoot 1/2"
>or better at 100 yards,
>are they shooting with their
>own handloads or are they
>shooting factory ammo?
>
>I am taking a serious look
>at their Excalibur Model 52,
>just cant make up my
>mind on what caliber I
>want.
>
>I've been wanting a custom gun
>for some time, was thinking
>about making a purchase with
>them. Any reason not too?
>
>
>Thanks for any of your thoughts
>guys.

I've had a Cooper Jackson Long Range Hunter for a little over a year (.300WM). Its a wonderful gun. Very, very smooth action wit a crisp trigger. For comparison I have 4 other .300s, all with some degree of extra work done. I have 2 M70s, one M700 Sendero and one custom based on an M700.

The Cooper will out shoot all of them with ease. With factory ammo. I can print nickle groups at 200 with consistency.

To answer your questions...
1. I am very happy with the rifle.

2. Yea, it is consistently accurate.

3. No lead time as I bought it from a dealer.

4. N/A as there was no lead time.

5. I can't remember if they shoot factory or hand loads. I *think* there shots are taken at 40 yards, if I recall Webster info. Give them a call. Their customer service folks are very friendly...I had to call to get twist rate and order spare magazines.

Good luck. I would gladly buy another Cooper.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

Have a 6.5 x 47 lapua cooper
It is extremely accurate, will likely buy another Cooper in future
I can’t remember the exact details, but if you shoot out the barrel, they will rebarrel it cheap.

I bought a model 92 last year, it shoots great and i love carrying it around. The only complaint I have is the bolt does not lock when it is on safety, so I had a bit of a problem with it trying to open when walking through brush and even while it is rubbing against my backpack.

Mark

My Cooper flat drives nails, and it's accounted for a pile of critters now.
For what they deliver, It's unbelievable how low profile the company is, and the potential. I've compared them extensively to other options, and theirs is by far the best value in the industry, IMO.

My Cooper flat drives nails, and it's accounted for a pile of critters now.
For what they deliver, It's unbelievable how low profile the company is, and the potential. I've compared them extensively to other options, and theirs is by far the best value in the industry, IMO.
Well I own a, m92 andove the rifle BUT Ive got to give credit where it's due the Cooper has NOTHING on the brownings xbolt series (which I also own) which is a grand cheaper then my Cooper

Well I own a, m92 andove the rifle BUT Ive got to give credit where it's due the Cooper has NOTHING on the brownings xbolt series (which I also own) which is a grand cheaper then my Cooper
That’s good to hear I just bought an X-bolt

I have nothing good to say about their muzzleloaders. Sent mine back for a new breachplug, after a 4 month wait, I got it back and it still shoots horrible. With that being said, I have a cooper model 22 muzzleloader for sale, pm if interested.

I heard a rumor that they were have trouble with their extractors. I was told that they knew about it and recommended waiting until they had it solved before purchasing one. You might call them up and ask before dropping the cash.

since you also do not handload and want to know if they test their guns with factory loads or handloads. When you call them just ask what loads they use to test fire their rifles.
If you get a certain caliber, ask what load was used to see if that rifle did group 1/2 inch for their warranty. If they refuse to tell you, you may want to give it a second thought about buying their rifle since it will be a large outlay of cash for you.
RELH

since you also do not handload and want to know if they test their guns with factory loads or handloads. When you call them just ask what loads they use to test fire their rifles.
If you get a certain caliber, ask what load was used to see if that rifle did group 1/2 inch for their warranty. If they refuse to tell you, you may want to give it a second thought about buying their rifle since it will be a large outlay of cash for you.
RELH

Mine came with a card telling what it was tested with

attachment.jpg

She shoots my Accubonds well, too

20190816_173831.jpg

I'm sure a better shooter could tighten that group up even more

Trying to find a Tikka Tx3 lite in 6.5 , looking for the Woodland . Buddy of mine with his FFL says all his suppliers are out of stock. If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it . Thanks

i have 7 coopers just order 8th wont be done for a year what does that tell you 6br 20 vatarg 25/06 22br 221 fireball 260 rem 20 tac 204 ruger comming have 3 custom builds at 5000 a pop an i must say cooper is right up there hard to beat all varmint wood stocks except 20 tac an 22br 204 ruger will have the vartac stock

Added another cooper to the stable
6.5-284
Very accurate , very happy

friend bought a 26 nosler, it will be here next week
I’ll keep you posted

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom