Copper bullets for baited bear?

fisher_hunt

Headed to Canada next month to hunt black bear for the first time. This is a baited hunt so shots are going to be around 20-30 yards. I like to use 130gr Barnes VOR-TX (TTSX BT) in my .270. Anyone have luck with all copper bullets on bears that close? I haven't had any issues with the barnes hunting everything from coues, muleys, elk and african plains animals but none of the shots have been that close.

In my experience they work well on moose at close range (sub 10 yards) and out past 200 yards. No reason a black bear won't die from one in the boiler room if it is shot up close or far away.

Any bullet that will kill a black bear at a distance will kill it quicker and better at close range. The myth about bullets zipping through animals because they are going too fast is just that, a myth. The faster they are going the more violent the expansion.

I think the rub on copper bullets had been lack of expansion due to their construction (solid) I killed a few deer with Barnes before losing that bear. They did the job but definitely didn’t have signs of great expansion

I think the rub on copper bullets had been lack of expansion due to their construction (solid) I killed a few deer with Barnes before losing that bear. They did the job but definitely didn’t have signs of great expansion
I know a lot people love them, I’m not one of them. My sons elk hunt had similar results as above. To be fair, we did find the elk, fortunately.

Took several boxes to Africa for plains game. Shot an eland, terrible results. Barnes said I might have “got a bad lot” of ammo….

When I hunted bears a lot, the 30-06 was my go to cartridge. Based on several that I shot and several others I saw shot, it would still be my cartridge of choice. Put the bullet in the vitals and you will have a very dead bear not far from impact.

Hammer bullets do the opposite of this. Their website says they "initiates expansion upon impact, shedding petals immediately." From my use of them I'm 100% sold. Not to mention their accuracy is incredible. Things might change, but currently Hammer hunters are the only thing I load into my two big game rifles. I'm in the process of developing a load for my 30-06 with their 166gr Hammer Hunters.

Hammer bullets do the opposite of this. Their website says they "initiates expansion upon impact, shedding petals immediately." From my use of them I'm 100% sold. Not to mention their accuracy is incredible. Things might change, but currently Hammer hunters are the only thing I load into my two big game rifles. I'm in the process of developing a load for my 30-06 with their 166gr Hammer Hunters.
Have you had any issues with lack of penetration on a shoulder or quartering shot?

Have you had any issues with lack of penetration on a shoulder or quartering shot?
I personally haven't yet. I've only shot a cow elk, a deer, and a couple of wild pigs though....all dead. The Hammer bullet owners have been to Africa I think a handful of times with their bullets and think they did fine down there too.

Vitals on bears are back farther than ungulates! If you are hitting shoulder your missing the vitals and asking for a nightmare. I worked for an outfitter in the 90s that preached "taking out the shoulder cause bears are so hard to kill" Nothing could be farther from the truth. My archery group lost multiple bears aiming like we would for ungulates. I started reading and was dumbfounded how little this is talked about. Bears die easily if you take out the vitals-they just aren't where we've been taught. Since aiming back haven't had one go 30 yards.
And my daughter took her first bear with a copper power belt, worked great. Mine only went 10 yards, on three bounds and was too dead to even death moan.

Last edited:
Killed 2 bears using barnes in 300WM. Only I used 130grns ttsx going about 3600fps. Both didn't move an inch. You need to go light with copper.

Here's a partition and a barnes recovered from a brown bear a couple weeks ago. The barnes went through both shoulders and was recovered under the hide on the opposite side. The partition went through the rib cage and ended up right next to the barnes. I don't know chit about bullets and whats the best. I like core lokt for everything, mainly because they are cheap.

IMG_0200.jpg

Well I’m in Utah Bear hunting now, SS. I hope my partitions work as well as they did for your clients. Problem is, no bears at the bait site! May not get to see if they’ll work…

Wasn't asking necessarily for bears. Just a general question about the bullets.
Hammers are (mono) solid copper bullets so once the petals shed the shank continues to penetrate. It's relatively rare to actually recover a shank because they penetrate so well. Like most long mono bullets you need to have the right barrel twist in order for the shank to penetrate straight.
I am so pleased with the Hammer performance and accuracy, I no longer hunt big game with anything else.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom