Copper River Bison Unit 11

wymoosehunter

A buddy drew the Unit 11 bison tag and he invited me to go with him mid September. To good of adventure to pass up even though I suspect it is for my strong back-weak mind...:). Anybody have any experience hunting this unit early and/or information on past observations of bison early in September? Any help would be appreciated...
thanks in advance.

Floating the Copper River from Copper Center down to Chitnina. We have pack rafts that we are going to carry with us up the smaller rivers that dump into the Copper. That way we can either float back to the raft or float meat out instead of backpacking it out.

Floating the Copper River from Copper Center down to Chitnina. We have pack rafts that we are going to carry with us up the smaller rivers that dump into the Copper. That way we can either float back to the raft or float meat out instead of backpacking it out.
We’ll be careful. That river is no joke. Be sure to give us a hunt report. There’s a few islands the buffalo are always on . You’ll find them!

Thanks for the info-the tag is good for both sides of the river, do the buffalo spend much time on the west shore/islands? We have been focusing our research up the Eastern tributary rivers. Misguided idea? Concentrate more on Copper River islands? Also, how are the bear numbers? Anything to be concerned with more than the norm once we have a bison down and doing the field care?
if too public, please PM me.
Thans

Thanks for the info-the tag is good for both sides of the river, do the buffalo spend much time on the west shore/islands? We have been focusing our research up the Eastern tributary rivers. Misguided idea? Concentrate more on Copper River islands? Also, how are the bear numbers? Anything to be concerned with more than the norm once we have a bison down and doing the field care?
if too public, please PM me.
Thans
PM coming.

Had a great hunt, but very warm. Beautiful country. I think the early pressure pushed the bison into the deep timber. All sign was older until we pushed into the timber. Freshest sign was 2-3 miles in from the exposed bluffs In the thickest stuff around. Lots of human tracks on every island and bluff/ridge line/tributary channel. Did a lot of glassing and still hunting=10 miles a day. Did see a lost Dall ram on a bluff and a sow grizzly w/cubs. my buddy, other hunt partner and I all have to go back to work, so it will be January before we can try again. Should be a totally different hunt that time of year. Thanks for the info.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom