Coues 30A vs 30B

Late rifle Coues First Choice 30A Second choice 30B. Agree?

• 30A

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 30B

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont think one is much better necessarily then the other. Id lean towards 30b but im close to it.
Where do you live?

Those units often have leftover 1st come-1st served permits after the draw. So they are available without losing BPs.

But if you want a better chance drawing them, they aren't ones you want to use for your 1st & 2nd choices. Since there are almost always some left in both units after the bonus point & first round, you're better off putting them in your 3-5th choices.

As for the hunting, it's a lot tougher than other southern units because a lot of the country is privately owned with little access. My son & I acquired leftovers in 30B about 15 years ago. We hunted in the Dragoons, but it was a train wreck. Nearly every permit holder was crammed into the same public hunting area. We saw quite a few does & a good sized bear but only two smallish bucks. We didn't tag either one.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. I live in Mesa. My thinking was to try and draw a December hunt in the bonus pass. These units seemed my only option with five points for 100% odds.

Thank you for the feedback. I live in Mesa. My thinking was to try and draw a December hunt in the bonus pass. These units seemed my only option with five points for 100% odds.
Well, if it were me, I sure as heck wouldn't do it. Just use your first two choices for the better units like 29, the 36s or 33. As a resident, you have a shot at 80% of the permits in the 1-2 pass. Then if you really want to waste those points, put 30b or 30A as 3-5 choices.

EDIT: Whoops, as you were. I didn't realize you had already applied. :( Good luck with whatever you get.

Last edited:
Well, if it were me, I sure as heck wouldn't do it. Just use your first two choices for the better units like 29, the 36s or 33. As a resident, you have a shot at 80% of the permits in the 1-2 pass. Then if you really want to waste those points, put 30b or 30A as 3-5 choices.

EDIT: Whoops, as you were. I didn't realize you had already applied. :( Good luck with whatever you get.
Hope he has point guard!!

I wouldn't burn 5 points on either unit. Access is way too tough... especially in 30A. I don't know 30B as well but I know there's a lot of private land

Those are both very tough units. Hunted them both and struggled.... Private land really hinders your access to the area.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom