Coues deer ticks and grubs bugs (just look)

T

TwoPointDN

OK you Coues nut out there I do skull mounts on the side mostly for famly and friends. I have seen megets and ticks but never this. I am not the only one I have been caping out all my animals latly and selling them to taxidurmist. For one I get a little gas money back and it saves me from skining the head out for the skull mount. She my taxidermist was about grossed out. She had them in a bag and would not even open it for me to see, but when I was taking the jaw off one came out of it nose and latched on just out side of it nose. They are about one inch long and 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide and yellowish brownish in coler with about a 1/8 inch mouth like a leech but they have a grub like body. It was pritty latched on and a little hard to kill. Now you can pitcher what I am talking about what is it and what kind of affect does it have on the deer. They semd to be in the nose and throut area but could have been all throw the inner. Not shur on that part they are probably in a cyot by now. Hope that I did not gross you not just would like to here what you guys think of this. Thanks

Sounds like a critter I found on some rabbits in Texas several years ago. Threw the rabbits in the back of my Jeep and when I picked them up, there were several of the disgusting things lying on the floor of my Jeep. I asked about them and the locals called them "Wolves," which looked just like the description you gave. They are also known as "warbles." They are the pupal stage of a large fly belonging to the family Cuterebra. The larvae of different species of the fly infest different hosts, and usually enter the animal through the mouth, nose, or through cuts in the skin.

Thanks for your reply do you now if it has any affect on the aninals that they infest. I would think that if it a lurva that it is feeding on something in the animals. Thanks

If it's a subcutaneous (under the skin) infestation, the animal may develop an infection in the area, which can lead to death. If the infestation is through the nasal passage, it will almost certainly eventually cause death. They have been known to eat their way into the brain of their hosts through the nasal passages. Likewise, an infestation through the mouth can lead to damage to internal organs and death. One species of botfly in Alaska seems to attack caribou almost exclusively; caribou deaths caused by botfly infestation are fairly common. In fact, I was told by some sourdoughs and natives in Alaska that an adult botfly can cause the stampede of an entire caribou herd.

Thanks Again I hope that there is never and infestation large enough to do any damage to the herds in the western states. Do you now if this is a very common thing in the western states. Like I said before I have never seen it up here in Utah. Just in the Coues that I got in southern Az. Thanks I just want to learn alittle on this subject.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom