Cougar Kills mentioned on KSL Outdoors

heartshot

Very Active Member
On the recent episode, the professor doing the cougar collaring mentioned that for the cougars collared on the wasatch front, they were finding that they were killing a fawn deer every other day. 1 cougar + 1 month = 15 dead fawn deer.
WOW!!!!

Mentioned at the end of the deer collaring on the Stansbury.

This is actual data, not guesses.

I must have spaced off. I didn't catch the part about lions. Nevertheless, maybe I'll go park on a deer herd with my rifle in tow, and wait.

Hmmmmm, imagine that.....they talked about exactly what we've been discussing and arguing about in a couple other threads.

"Doe and fawns are what drive Deer populations, we only need a few bucks to sustain a herd".

"Our habitat cannot sustain the numbers of wildlife we have on the landscape"

"Continue predator programs, increase habitat projects, implement more highway mortality fencing projects"

Sounds like a few MM biologists are spot on with arguments ?‍♂️?

Hmmmmm, imagine that.....they talked about exactly what we've been discussing and arguing about in a couple other threads.

"Doe and fawns are what drive Deer populations, we only need a few bucks to sustain a herd".

"Our habitat cannot sustain the numbers of wildlife we have on the landscape"

"Continue predator programs, increase habitat projects, implement more highway mortality fencing projects"

Sounds like a few MM biologists are spot on with arguments ?‍♂️?
Antidotal evidence from my neck of the woods, the lions and bears, hammer the fawns and they cpw issues piles of tags because of Cwd prevalence, although last I checked it has trended way down they still issue a pile of tags, deer are very few and far between, what they need to do is bump bear tags up a bunch, I know the lions get ran a bit, but no where near what they could

There are many factors that affect mule deer herds that are beyond our control (drought, winterkill, disease, etc.). However, predators are one factor that we can better manage. If sportsmen want to see more mule deer then let's do what we can do take more predators. I am flabbergasted when I see guys arguing for more lions and then complaining about the lack of deer. Lions and coyotes are the true "OPPORTUNITY HUNTERS."

Hawkeye

They can make a poison specific to a species, that will only kill a coyote but they’re too bashful to do it.

“Starlicide or gull toxicant is a chemical avicide that is highly toxic to European starlings (thus the name) and gulls, but less toxic to other birds or to mammals such as humans and pets.”
Come on guys,

Stop this crazy talk about poison, anything that kills coyotes is probably going to kill dogs, (including hounds) foxes and wolves and will also have unintended consequences

Come on guys,

Stop this crazy talk about poison, anything that kills coyotes is probably going to kill dogs, (including hounds) foxes and wolves and will also have unintended consequences
The same logic could be used regarding starlings and most other birds…….. but your logic is apparently wrong, in as much as it doesn’t.

A fawn is a snack.

When not eating fawns....they eat a deer a week. Not sure of where I got that from, but I've had it for awhile.

Come on guys,

So people with dogs in the outdoors would have to keep them on a leash, or better yet, leave them home.?? That's an unintended consequence I'll take any day. ?

So people with dogs in the outdoors would have to keep them on a leash, or better yet, leave them home.?? That's an unintended consequence I'll take any day. ?

Until it's your hunting dog. Or your neighbors herding dog.

And no, what will happen is every news station, paper, social media site will run countless loops of some 8yr old girls pet foo foo, that died slowly in her arms after being poisoned.

Ask how many guys have had their hunting and herding dogs get in forgotten traps, or left traps over the years, its not hard to see the issue

Why do you suppose we quit using it to start with?

So hossy?

You Gonna Outlaw Trapping As Well?

Until it's your hunting dog. Or your neighbors herding dog.

And no, what will happen is every news station, paper, social media site will run countless loops of some 8yr old girls pet foo foo, that died slowly in her arms after being poisoned.

Ask how many guys have had their hunting and herding dogs get in forgotten traps, or left traps over the years, its not hard to see the issue

Why do you suppose we quit using it to start with?

Don’t remind me of dogs in traps.

I will now anonymously confess to unburden myself

During my former part time trapping career, I caught one in a #3 bridger, may have even been a labradoodle, (it had a buddy right next to him while he was in the trap) both large breeds. Luckily I got him out without getting my face bitten off and he only lost a little skin off of one toe.

Another in a snare, A cocker spaniel I think, Extremely lucky this one didn’t fight the snare. Got him out and as I was strolling down the canyon pretending to be getting some exercise with him following me, the owners drove up and were overjoyed at me finding him and being reunited with their lost friend.

Snares would probably work well on lions but you just never know what might show up in one

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom