County Roads

live4muleys

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-19 AT 12:40PM (MST)[p]How do you guys go about finding out if a road is truly a country road? There are those roads that seem like they end at a house, but continues through. How are you guys finding out if the roads beyond houses and gates are still country roads? They are marked to make it seem like they are private starting there and sometimes they continue and I want to be able to access the lands I am allowed to. I know on google maps and other map sources they are not always accurate with labels such as these. Thanks.

It's always been my understanding a county road has to be accessible to public if the road is maintained by the county. If the road passes through private and the owner declines the maintenance they do not have to allow you access. Just my understanding but you might want to call.

Use a variety of maps: onX, County Road Maps, Topo Maps etc. Very often ranchers want roads to look private even though they are County. If my sources label a road as County and it's unlocked I feel pretty comfortable in driving it.

If it shows as County but is locked then the only way to be sure would be to call the County and sort it out - probably not happening during a hunt.

There are numerous instances of private landowners figuring out creative ways to take ownership of County roads (legal manners). For instance I know of a road in Roswell area that accessed Barbary Sheep hunting areas. The guy in charge of County road maintenance intentionally didn't maintain it for a year, at which point ownership reverted to the private landowner - one of his relatives, go figure. So now it's a huge maintained County road to a (legally) locked gate. Beyond the gate the road appears identical: it was built by the County and maintained as such for years. But now it's inaccessible to us. Shenanigans like this happen all the time.

Or an underhanded deal will pop up to transfer land or road ownership say around Roswell. It's required to be advertised publicly for comment. And it will be advertised in Raton...

Best of luck!

>Use a variety of maps: onX,
>County Road Maps, Topo Maps
>etc. Very often ranchers
>want roads to look private
>even though they are County.
> If my sources label
>a road as County and
>it's unlocked I feel pretty
>comfortable in driving it.
>
>If it shows as County but
>is locked then the only
>way to be sure would
>be to call the County
>and sort it out -
>probably not happening during a
>hunt.
>
>There are numerous instances of private
>landowners figuring out creative ways
>to take ownership of County
>roads (legal manners). For
>instance I know of a
>road in Roswell area that
>accessed Barbary Sheep hunting areas.
> The guy in charge
>of County road maintenance intentionally
>didn't maintain it for a
>year, at which point ownership
>reverted to the private landowner
>- one of his relatives,
>go figure. So now
>it's a huge maintained County
>road to a (legally) locked
>gate. Beyond the gate
>the road appears identical: it
>was built by the County
>and maintained as such for
>years. But now it's
>inaccessible to us. Shenanigans
>like this happen all the
>time.
>
>Or an underhanded deal will pop
>up to transfer land or
>road ownership say around Roswell.
> It's required to be
>advertised publicly for comment.
>And it will be advertised
>in Raton...
>
>Best of luck!

This is absolutely correct. I called the county yesterday after seeing this post about a stretch of county road in the Roswell area that is closed. I was told it is a big deal and a lot of trouble for a land owner to shut any county road. They have to go before county commission and have good reason. Like Carl said best bet is call whatever county the road is in.

Thanks guys. I contracted one county and they said they have a map for $5, but you have to show up to their office during business hours. Might have to figure out a way to get there. I just want to legally be able to access the land I am allowed to and not be tricked by landowners making it seem like it is private beyond a certain spot.

I've hunted all over the west and NM seems to be one of the worst states for having public access shut out by landowners that decide to put up a gate and lock a public road. Unfortunately, I think there have been some roads gated over the last couple decades that will never have public access in the future. Now that more hunters have easier access to maps (ON-X, etc) it will be much more difficult for landowners to shut out the public like they did 20 years ago. There are enough informed hunters that will complain and hopefully stop any future closures.
The RMEF has actually restored public access to at least two large road systems in NM that I'm aware of (one in 2B and another in 16). If you have an issue with a road being closed by Rosewell, I would suggest working with the RMEF to see if you can get the area reopened. The longer they keep it closed, the more precedent they will have in court to keep you locked out.

These are the signs that get confusing. Seems like the same type road to me past this sign but sign sure makes it seem like the end of the road.

I was finally able to post this picture off my phone with the new platform.
20191214_152311.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom