Cow calling?

nocwalker

All right, Maybe I'm getting close to having most of the logistics ready(still some left)for our hunt.

But heres a question for all you guys that do alot of cow calling. I have a few cow calls, Hoochie mamma, Green tipped bite call (Primo's) and one other that I couldn't get to sound too good. I'm going to get a few more before we come out.

Que: When I make cow calls, is there something in the calling itself that I should be doing or using that you guys have success with? Maybe like excitement in the call, or mellow with the call?

I guess what i'm thinking is theres more info in the cow call than I know and I don't know the vocabulary.

an example of my concerns was: the last elk hunt was in Co 2 yrs ago, we hunted with a Co res friend. My 2 partners said my buglein was real good , so I took over that job. I blew into the bugle call and had bulls coming in a few times, Jeff darn near got a shot at one. But, the impression I got from the experience was "I had no idea what the heck I was saying to those bulls". So I'm thinking the cow calls have more info in them then what the first look says.

Thanks nocwalker

I am by no means an expert. I am learning this myself. Some basic info I found on the internet is that a short chirp is almost like a locator call. I got into a herd of elk a couple of weeks back (on our unit) and heard the cows chirping to each other to let each other know where they are. A longer almost pleading call is more of a mating come and get it call. On the back of your primos call packages it should explain basically what I am saying a little bit better.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-12 AT 12:29PM (MST)[p]geting a calling dvd or cd will help you a ton steve chappell made a great cd you might be able to find one at his sight chappell guide service .or look up his stuff or even rockie or corey jacobsen stuff will help all are solid callers

Nockwalker, I read a bit on this site but never post. After reading a few of your posts I think I could help you with your Elk hunting questions. I don't post info but would be happy to help you. If you would like some info on your le unit pm me. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom