Cow Elk Behavior Question

Bwht4x4

Very Active Member
Question on cow elk and their movements...

If a group of cow elk are found during July or August will they likely be in the same area during the late September rut? Or is it common for them to move to another area? I know bulls will move a long distance, but during my scouting I'm almost thinking of trying to locate as many groups of cows as possible in prep for the late Sept rut hunt.

>Question on cow elk and their
>movements...
>
>If a group of cow elk
>are found during July or
>August will they likely be
>in the same area during
>the late September rut?
>Or is it common for
>them to move to another
>area? I know bulls
>will move a long distance,
>but during my scouting I'm
>almost thinking of trying to
>locate as many groups of
>cows as possible in prep
>for the late Sept rut
>hunt.

If you find cows in an area in August. They will most definitely be there come September! Are they the same cows you had seen before? I dunno you tell me. I don't pay enough attention to them to tell them apart. Elk are elk though, they will move around like they always do. But if there is an area they prefer you will find them there again and again generally until the snow flies.

www.utahscoutingservices.com

Yes, they'll still be in the same general area. They are there for a reason: feed, water, cover, terrain etc.
They will be there until some external force moves them. ie: too much hunting/scouting pressure, snow, fire etc.
Good luck.
Zeke

If by "area" you mean the same 10 square miles... then yes. You could see elk in an area the day before the season starts and then find the same group 5 miles away because of pressure.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13 AT 09:33AM (MST)[p]If you are referring to them being above tree-line I would say most of the time no, due to pressure putting them back into the timber during daylight.
As far as meadows and timber areas, yes most likely.

If you find bull sign from previous fall then yes cows will be in the area again.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Pressure will be very limited as they give out hardly any tags and the unit is about 1000 square miles so people will be spread out. I don't think pressure would be an issue at all.

I have seen the bulls come in break up the heard and move them back to their spot, usually not more than a few miles. Each spot is different, real time is the only way to find out. The best scouting is done during the season.

DZ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom