Cow Elk

I could care less bout the unit I wanted. I just wanna hunt. I'm new to UT and where I came from. Just trying to find more opportunities to hunt

Generally, the less points you need to draw, the tougher the hunting will be. That said, I can usually pull a tag every 2nd or third year for the area I like. And I wont work too hard for cow elk.

The ones with the most private property. Tougher hunts because the elk run over the fence and look at you from the fence line.

the Utah division website has the info you are looking for. even though its a cow, some people will still beat around the bush with info on specific units.

"Shoot Straight"

No beating around the bush ! Are you lucky ? You could draw the first year on any unit. Although I have heard of some people that put in for the same unit year after year. It took four or five years for one guy I know. Go to the division web site and look for the draw odds on the units. Look at the what tags they are giving out for next year and make a decision. When you know what area you like or can spend time learning . Let us know and we can help you. There is a lot of experience here on Monster Muley all over the state. Some of the units up north, you can buy the tag over the counter after the draw. But if you don't no land owners or have contacts. They can be a waste of time and fuel. That's why they are easier to draw.A sure thing !

>How long does it take to
>draw Nebo?

4+ years to be guaranteed. There's lots better hunts that are much easier that can be drawn with less points

>I could care less bout the
>unit I wanted. I just
>wanna hunt. I'm new to
>UT and where I came
>from. Just trying to find
>more opportunities to hunt

Sheesh, Take a look at the Utah Division of Wildlife web site and you'll be amazed at what info you can find. Like antlerless elk points draw odds. Be sure to check it out, pick a unit or two and ask for info about those.

It's great you want to work hard for a cow since damn few have been easy for our clan over the past 50 years...and they seem to get tougher every year as I get long in the tooth.

Good luck and welcome to Utah.

Oh, to answer your original question: 1-2-3 points depending on the unit.

Zeke

So folks, I picked 2 units that I'm interested in. Beaver, East an Central mtns, Milburn. Can I get some input on these? Lots of public land? How the herds? Really looking forward to cow elk hunting this next year!

There is still more un-asked questions that you may wish to help folks with, to get the most useful information. Not that I want you killing cow elk, because I'm concerned that we are reducing the population of Utah's over all elk numbers far too rapidly and in far greater numbers than the resource can stand, if we want to maintain good numbers of surplus cow and bull elk to harvest into the future. But......that's for another time and place.

Your MM name is PSEbackcountry, that gives some inference that you might be an archer or would like to be.

I think more folks have been responding to your initial question regarding the number of points it will take to draw a cow elk tag, have or may have been assuming you were inquiring about rifle hunting cow elk, which is what folks are doing this week. If you are asking a "general question" the answer would be somewhat different and maybe more to your liking.

Any archer I know, that wants to, can hunt cow elk ever year, including with a spike bull elk tag. So, if you are an archer and want to archery hunt elk, you should be able to purchase (not draw, they are first come first serve) any spike bull unit in the State, and there are many. I'm not absolutely sure about the Any Bull units but I believe you can substitute a cow for a bull on those units as well, but don't take my word on any of this, read the proclamation and then call a Division of Wild Resources Office to clarify which units you can take either sex, on a spike or open bull archery tag.

Someone else would need to advise you on muzzleloader elk hunts, that may also allow you to harvest a cow in lieu of a spike bull as well, again, you'd need to clarify with someone that studies the cow elk regulations more than I.

I know there are cow elk on the Beaver Unit, I've not hunted cows there but I have seen them, some years, near the 1-15 and 1-70 intersection, south of Cove Fort, beyond that I can't help you on either of the two units you've identified.

Best of luck, the MM folks will bust there butts to help you, if you are responsive and respectful. Ask when you have a question, be respectful, offer your experiences and opinions and be prepared to hear back for some of the nicest guys in the country as well as an equal number of not so much types, like me, and you'll find there is as much hunting, fishing and success in the outdoors as any place you have ever lived. Many of us moved here, from somewhere, at sometime in the past.

DC

Thanks 2lumpy I'll have to dig into the proclamation more. I love to archery hunt. I shot a deer on the archery hunt this year. Just a little too early in the year for me. I like the last two weeks of the bow hunt. Wasn't a fan of it starting in August just because that's not what I'm used too. The heat and Velvet. Although the velvet buck I shot was pretty freaking awesome!

>Thanks 2lumpy I'll have to dig
>into the proclamation more. I
>love to archery hunt. I
>shot a deer on the
>archery hunt this year. Just
>a little too early in
>the year for me. I
>like the last two weeks
>of the bow hunt. Wasn't
>a fan of it starting
>in August just because that's
>not what I'm used too.
>The heat and Velvet. Although
>the velvet buck I shot
>was pretty freaking awesome!

If you do archery, it's take any elk in any bull units and spike or cow in the spike units. (I think the spike hunt ends a week early to allow limited bull hunters to hopefully get a rut without spike hunters).

Archery is also the only tag That you can hunt both spike and any bull units with one tag. Muzzleloader and any weapon you have to pick one or the other and there are a limited number of tags issued (sold out two days before the any weapon hunt this year).

The number is set for any weapon or muzzleloader combine so they could sell all any weapons to fill the number. Makes the muzzleloader hunt have a lot less hunters.

this will let you hunt elk every year (archery you could take a cow) and then when you draw a cow tag you could do both.

I hunt archery any bull unit typically and passed on several cows and took small bull this year on day two the hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom