cow hunt

wal0001

I was originally planning a mule deer hunt, but now my nephew and I might be focusing on a cow-elk hunt.

I love New Mexico and the couple times I have hunted there with a guide have had success. However, my nephew who has never hunted in NM really wants to go. Neither of us really want to spend the money for a guide ( I still have 2 kids in college), so I was looking at gathering information to get an cow-tag and then find a unit.

I believe I have hunted 42 and 51 before, but was hoping someone might direct me to a unit with less vehicle access. Back in 2011, a person shot a hunter on a four wheeler for chasing his elk away and that always made me nervous. Several times we had almost the same issue with people on a atv, but I never could see getting mad enough to shoot someone over a hunt.
This might not be realistic, but was hoping to put in for a unit with remote areas that limit vehicle access. I know this seems counterproductive, but I would rather hunt a unit with less vehicle traffic and less elk, than one with more elk and vehicles.

Any insight on draw information or unit access would be great.
Thanks folks and God bless.!

you'd have to buy a landowner tag as NR. all cow tags go to residents now in NM. i'd look at unit 34. they have LOTS of landowner cow tags.

Look into Unit 4. Lots of landowner tags available and great success rates especially late season migration.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom