cow moose help

seeleymt

Well I thing this is were I will end my moose point in wy this year have 16. Going to apply for unit 38 cow for this fall. Here's were I need some help and advice. I'am 68 in good shape probably will be hunting alone with my wife for company. For anyone that has hunted this unit before can a cow be found on public land and how far from a road would I have to pack it? Would prefer not to use a outfitter if I can. Can hunt as long as it takes just need to know what i'am getting into before I apply?
Thanks Brian

Good Luck! I hope you draw your tag!

Edit: I've been thinking of doing a similar thing in Colorado....cashing in my points for a ewe bighorn tag.

I think you'll get lots of good information if you draw that cow permit. Lots of moose to be had in there.

Congrats on the draw.
We'll keep an eye out for cows without calves.
You have lots of easy terrain to hunt in 38, east and west of Laramie.

Great seeley!! Im the other 16 point holder and I drew my cow moose tag. Im retired and 66 Y.O. will be bowhunting in Sept. into oct. I'll be by myself as well hope to fined one close to the road. ha ha. Going to be a great fall!! John C.

im gonna cash in my 20 points for a cow in 38...done with chasing points...got a place to stay in saratoga...im 68 fat and tired....ill have a 15 yr old grandson along that thinks hes tough for help...killed a decent buck in ryan park years ago, havent been there since...be appreciative of info....get back on here when i draw

im gonna cash in my 20 points for a cow in 38...done with chasing points...got a place to stay in saratoga...im 68 fat and tired....ill have a 15 yr old grandson along that thinks hes tough for help...killed a decent buck in ryan park years ago, havent been there since...be appreciative of info....get back on here when i draw
Uh oh, my 73 year old Dad was going to cash in his 20 points and do the same thing. With the new 90/10 split this year there will probably only be 3 or 4 tags available for NR. Might not be a slam dunk anymore for cow moose.

Uh oh, my 73 year old Dad was going to cash in his 20 points and do the same thing. With the new 90/10 split this year there will probably only be 3 or 4 tags available for NR. Might not be a slam dunk anymore for cow moose.
At least now he has an idea of how many applicants there may be for that area. Plenty of cow moose around the state and other areas to take one with easy terrain.
Talk is they may split a couple of areas into 2 separate areas, may help with some draw odds.

Great that you enjoyed the hunt and were successful. A lot of NR have been putting in for a bull tag and think the cost of a cow tag does not justify it. Most would rather shot a cow elk than a cow moose. But then again, with the increasing cost NR elk tags it might be a better way to go.

I grew up hunting that area and would be glad to offer help to anyone that draws. While hunting this past year, I saw a pile of moose and quite a few cows without calves.

Last edited:
With the new 90/10 split this year there will probably only be 3 or 4 tags available for NR. Might not be a slam dunk anymore for cow moose.
With 90/10 and a new quota of 25 Type 4 tags there will only be 2 tags available for NR and both will be in the PP draw. He should be good with twenty points as long as these type of threads don't become more common.

decided to buy more points...gotta freezer full of elk and deer...got 7 deer points...didnt draw nm elk, didnt hurt my feelings..hoping to go unit 81 deer when i get enough points....juggling grandsons school sports in fall

I grew up hunting that area and would be glad to offer help to anyone that draws. While hunting this past year, I saw a pile of moose and quite a few cows without calves.
ill keep you guys in mind...gonna pull the trigger with 21 points for unit 38 cow in 2024...was gonna donate it wounded warrior but im feeling alot better..THANKS!!!!

ill keep you guys in mind...gonna pull the trigger with 21 points for unit 38 cow in 2024...was gonna donate it wounded warrior but im feeling alot better..THANKS!!!!
Feel free to hit me up if you draw. My Dad got a big cow on the 2nd day this year. Fun hunt, pretty country. In 5 days of scouting, hunting and just hanging out after his kill, we saw 12 Moose. Hardest part we saw was finding the cow without a calf. Oh and if you shoot a cow with a bull with her, be prepared to throw dead logs at the bull to get him to leave you alone. haha Took about 20 minutes of that before we could start the field work, a little nerve wracking knowing he could charge at us at any time. Closest he got was probably 15 yards.

pulled the trigger on 38 cow moose app with 21 points...should draw it..my 2 buddies talked me into not giving it away, theyre going...want to hunt the west side cuz im familiar with some of it and want to stay at saratoga

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom