Coyote Calling

travishunter3006

Very Active Member
What is your usual coyote calling cadence?

How long and often do you call an area?

Throw up your pictures or videos and a story of your hunt if you have 'em

Depends on time of year and many other variables. Seems like just when you think you got it figured out you realize you really don't. I can tell you the more info you get the more confused you will be because everyone claims that there way is the best. You just have to see what works for you.

Standard answer for calling time will be 15-20 minutes, but..... I have no issue staying for 30+ and have killed many dogs doing that. I had a coyote howling back at me 1200 yards away once. I threw everything I could think of at him. At the 35 minute mark he flipped his switch and came in. He brought a friend with him also. It seemed like curiosity finally got the best of him.

2011coyote1n2-1.jpg

2-11yotebrax.jpg

coyote1-13c-1.jpg

braxcoyote.jpg

robspics740_zpsc0bea394.jpg

coyote8-144_zps82bcef6a.jpg

Coyote8-20_zps45c037c7.jpg

Coyote9-11-132_zpse3979ec9.jpg

calling coyotes boils down to this.

A coyote has to hear your call, and he has to make the decision to respond. If there isn't a coyote in the area, it's impossible to call him in.

There is no secret cadence, sound, tone, call, whatever......I've called dogs in with tons of sounds, hell, I've even heard of guys using a tape recording of a baby crying to call in coyotes. I could tell story after story of calling and sets, but, we don't have time.

As said above, there is a lot that goes into it. Be able to use all sounds, prey, big and small, coyote vocals, mating calls, distress etc......

Calling in and killing coyotes to me is the most exciting hunting that I do. Period. Every coyote is a trophy, big or small. It's not like you're deer hunting and waiting for that "one monster buck" and passing up a ton of decent deer. Every last mangy, deer killing, fur turbo is a trophy.

Yea pretty much anything goes. I killed on last week set up on a knob that I could see at least 700yads hit the call with in 20seconds on the horizon a Yote pops up dead run in at smoked him at 100 yards from the minute my butt hit the ground to picking him up it was 7 minutes, then I've sat sometimes and seen nothing. If your using an E-caller set it up so if something comes in there looking no where near you so you got a small advantage on them.

Like smitty said... The actual calling is the least important part of killing coyotes. Stand location, wind, sun etc. is what is going to get you more dogs. Walk in quiet, don't move, keep the sun Off your face and watch your wind. A coyote will go hungry before he second guesses his nose.

Traditional >>>------->

>calling coyotes boils down to this.
>
>
>A coyote has to hear your
>call, and he has to
>make the decision to respond.
>If there isn't a coyote
>in the area, it's impossible
>to call him in.
>
>There is no secret cadence, sound,