Coyote hunting tips

TroutJunkie

I've been calling coyotes on and off for 5 years or more now and I've killed probably only half a dozen dogs. I like to think I have the basics down such as. Pay attention to wind, sit in shade, don't skyline yourself, glass after calling for held up dogs, HIDE THE TRUCK, be patient while calling sit for upwards of 30 min in open stands, ETC. I have used hand calls but I have recently been trying an e-caller I will try rabbit distress mainly with pauses every few minutes. But i'm wondering if anyone would mind sparing any game changing tips or something they have noticed greatly increases their chances. I am concentrating in central/western Utah do you think it the area im calling or maybe my calling sequence. if anyone is willing to share with me any general areas that they have consistently seen coyotes or even a spot they have heard about please PM me. Thank you!

I've recently started using howls which I didn't used to do and it has helped bring in yotes especially in February and March.

After sitting down, and before I make a sound, I glass the area thoroughly. I am looking for any coyote that has seen me get into position.

If I see one that I think has seen me, I will not call. I do not want him to associate me (human) with a prey distress sound. Once that coyote is out of sight, I'll wait a few minutes, then start to call.

My calling sequence is about 20 seconds of calling, then I'm quiet for 2-5 minutes. Repeat 3-4 times.

At the end of a stand, before I stand up, I always glass around. Many times I have seen coyotes coming in while they were 500+yds out.

Coyote vocals can be very effective, especially in Jan-April.

I believe that coyotes know the voices of every coyote they can hear, so when a 'new' coyote voice is heard, especially if you are in or near a territory boundary, they come to investigate.

Kind of like you walking into your house at 2am, saying 'Hi homey, I'm home' vs. me walking into your home saying that. Nobody gets excited when you come in, but when I come in...

In Colorado, by mid-January or so, the coyotes have paired up for breeding and are getting territorial, and coyote vocals work very well.

For new coyote hunters, I always suggest going to a State Park, or Open Space, somewhere coyotes are not hunted, and then call to those coyotes. They are somewhat easier to call, and they respond much as a 'wild' coyote will, meaning watch the wind.

Once you call in a few Park coyote, you know you are on the right track with sounds and sequence.

I could go on, and on, but, visiting Predatormasters.com will give you days of reading, and from really good hunters.

You are very likely calling in many more coyotes that you don't see than you do see.

I've taken a number of experienced big game hunters with me to call coyotes. Every time I bring someone new, I see at least 2X as many coyotes as they do and we are sitting right next to each other. Some of these coyotes I'll kill with a shotgun if fairly open country and they won't even know a coyote was there until after I plug it with a shotgun. Coyotes can be very stealthy, even in open country. I've killed over 100 coyotes in the last couple years and I would estimate I see less than half the coyotes I call in. Just like glassing for big game, elevation is a big advantage while on a stand.

Don't spend too much time looking through binoculars. I really like looking through binoculars but if you will miss spotting some coyotes that are coming in fast if you spend too much time looking in your binoculars. I'm always surprised how fast a coyote can move from 800 yards to being 20 yards in-front of me.

Don't call the same areas all the time. If you find a place that hasn't been called as much you will find more success. This could be private property or an out of the way place. Don't be afraid to walk. It isn't uncommon for me to walk 1/2 mile from the vehicle to make a stand. I would rather make one good stand than 3 mediocre stands.

Early season and windy days, I'll make shorter stands. Late season on calm days, I've killed many coyotes after 30 minutes on a stand.

I do think hand calls are often more effective for call shy coyotes than an E-caller.

Pack a shotgun and pattern it on paper if you want to kill more coyotes. I've had many coyotes get less than 20 yards before I see them. With a shotgun that is a dead coyote and a hard to kill coyote with a rifle if it is moving. Hornady makes a good shootgun round that can be found for a reasonable price ($12-$15 per box of 10). I've used the HeviShot that is $50-$70 per box of 10. Killed a coyote stone dead at 45 yards with it. TSS can be for than $10 per shot. I'm sure the HeviShot and TSS can provide better penetration at extended ranges but I don't think you need to spend that kind of money to kill coyotes with a shotgun.

Unless you can get prone, hitting a coyote with a rifle at more than 200 yards is not easy and I think there are very few guys good enough to consistenly kill coyotes at 300+ yards from a sitting position. A coyote is a small target, their fur makes them look bigger than they are. Being only 3 inches off can result in a miss. Practice shooting you gun on paper from a sitting position on calm and windy days that will simulate shooting conditions while calling coyotes. This will let you know what you are truly capable of. I've passed on a lot of shots at 250+ yards because I wasn't steady enough from a sitting position. Not educating multiple coyotes is better than getting a few extra dogs every year.

Preditormasters has lots of information. Get out there and get some coyotes. Removing a bunch of coyotes from an area can beneficial to all the animals in the area, including other coyotes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom