Coyotes…..

brutus54

I’ve been Hunting Northwest Colorado for over 20 years now. I’ve seen a few coyotes here and there. I’ve been out there quite a bit the last two months. And I’ve seen more damn coyotes every time I go out there than I’ve ever seen. I’m buying a call and going out in January after the general hunting seasons end. And see what I can do about thinning them out. And put that small game license I had to buy to use..

Last edited:
Don't wait too long every yahoo with a gun truck and call thinks they are a coyote hunter. Use to kill 5-10 coyotes day out there... Now we are lucky to pull in 1 or 2. To many boneheads with monster e calls that have no clue about stand selection setup or the animals. The end result is a bunch of educated coyotes and once all of this years pups are killed or scared it gets really slow...

Don't wait too long every yahoo with a gun truck and call thinks they are a coyote hunter. Use to kill 5-10 coyotes day out there... Now we are lucky to pull in 1 or 2. To many boneheads with monster e calls that have no clue about stand selection setup or the animals. The end result is a bunch of educated coyotes and once all of this years pups are killed or scared it gets really slow...
Being a novice myself I’ve never actually went purposely after coyotes. It has always been a chance encounter. Is there any particular calls to avoid? I’ve been looking at a few cheap electronic ones on Amazon?

Last edited:
Being a novice myself I’ve never actually went purposely after coyotes. It has always been a chance encounter. Is there any particular calls to avoid? I’ve been looking at a few cheap electronic ones on Amazon?
I do not like ecalls at all. I don't really use them at all for a few reasons... First setting them up moves a person further into the stand where the coyotes are more likely to see you or scent you. That is the primary reason. I also find that ecalls make me try to many sounds. I feel like picking 2 sounds a stand works better than anything.

I run hand calls. Prefer open reed call like the Dan Thompson Red desert howler. With that open reed I can make rabbit sounds, duck/goose sounds, high pitched squirrels/pdog sounds etc. I use that call with a coaxer call. I also really like bird sounds higher pitched rapid and excited calls.

The real key for calling coyotes is set up and location. You have to find places where you can hide the vehicle before getting into the area, a stand where you pop over an edge and sit down immediately. The longer and further you walk the more chance they will spot you. I prefer a cross wind at all cost and the ability to see down wind is a must. Almost all coyotes will try and circle the wind, especially the more mature dogs. Sometimes they come in fire and straight to the call, but usually they work around down wind.

Imagine where the coyotes are hunting in an area, the brushy bottoms, etc. Do not go into those areas, but set up on the edge of those areas and call them out. Again walking in gets you busted.

The ecallers are basically all the same, just some louder than others, some play dual sounds, etc. The real key is getting a stand where they do not know you are there, giving them a chance to approach where they are seen before getting wind.

Good luck. It is fun. A good day I will make 12-14 stands. I never call for more than 20 minutes a stand and keep moving. It is rare that I have a coyote show up later than 20 minutes. It seems most are there in 10 if they are coming.

Not all E-callers are the same. Don't go cheap if you are looking to do it regularly.

If you are looking to just do it here and there hand calls might be a better more economical way to go.

I run a lucky duck revolution and really like it. Have several friends that run the foxpro Shockwave. You can't go wrong with either of these calls if you are going electronic.

Elks makes some good points, and stand set up is crucial when calling. But don't let his hate for electronic calls scare you away from them, thousands of coyote's are killed every year using them. And if you are worried about contaminating a stand while setting up just keep the caller close to you, nobody said you have to set it up 50-100 yards away. Mine sets about 10-15 yards in front of me or off to the side a bit on 90% of stands.

Good luck it's alot of fun and quite addictive once you start having success.

I do not like ecalls at all. I don't really use them at all for a few reasons... First setting them up moves a person further into the stand where the coyotes are more likely to see you or scent you. That is the primary reason. I also find that ecalls make me try to many sounds. I feel like picking 2 sounds a stand works better than anything.

I run hand calls. Prefer open reed call like the Dan Thompson Red desert howler. With that open reed I can make rabbit sounds, duck/goose sounds, high pitched squirrels/pdog sounds etc. I use that call with a coaxer call. I also really like bird sounds higher pitched rapid and excited calls.

The real key for calling coyotes is set up and location. You have to find places where you can hide the vehicle before getting into the area, a stand where you pop over an edge and sit down immediately. The longer and further you walk the more chance they will spot you. I prefer a cross wind at all cost and the ability to see down wind is a must. Almost all coyotes will try and circle the wind, especially the more mature dogs. Sometimes they come in fire and straight to the call, but usually they work around down wind.

Imagine where the coyotes are hunting in an area, the brushy bottoms, etc. Do not go into those areas, but set up on the edge of those areas and call them out. Again walking in gets you busted.

The ecallers are basically all the same, just some louder than others, some play dual sounds, etc. The real key is getting a stand where they do not know you are there, giving them a chance to approach where they are seen before getting wind.

Good luck. It is fun. A good day I will make 12-14 stands. I never call for more than 20 minutes a stand and keep moving. It is rare that I have a coyote show up later than 20 minutes. It seems most are there in 10 if they are coming.
Thanks for all that good information. I’m definitely gonna do my research. I imagine there’s some pretty good videos on YouTube.

Not all E-callers are the same. Don't go cheap if you are looking to do it regularly.

If you are looking to just do it here and there hand calls might be a better more economical way to go.

I run a lucky duck revolution and really like it. Have several friends that run the foxpro Shockwave. You can't go wrong with either of these calls if you are going electronic.

Elks makes some good points, and stand set up is crucial when calling. But don't let his hate for electronic calls scare you away from them, thousands of coyote's are killed every year using them. And if you are worried about contaminating a stand while setting up just keep the caller close to you, nobody said you have to set it up 50-100 yards away. Mine sets about 10-15 yards in front of me or off to the side a bit on 90% of stands.

Good luck it's alot of fun and quite addictive once you start having success.
Thanks for the advice and information I appreciate it. I do have one thing in my favor. I have access to a couple thousand acres of private property. That I’m pretty sure Hasn’t been coyote hunted in a long time. And that’s where I’ve been seeing all these dogs the last two months.

3k of private - enuf said.
Have fun. Concealment and wind as mentioned. You already know where they are , so yer set. I’m novice but it’s good fun.
And have an ecall if you live close?

Lots of good info out there. With that being said every Tom dick and Harry has become a coyote hunter. It’s very easy to get into but it can be hard to get mastered.
lots a coyote hunters. not a lot of coyote killers. keep an eye out on classifieds and craigslists. guys buy an e call, never see a dog and get bored with it. i run a shockwave and don't ever play a rabbit sound on it

Watch the wind. Coyotes will always (99%+) try to get downwind of the calling site.

Elks has very good info listed.

Try learning handcalls instead of an Ecall. I can put 'emotions' into a handcall that an ecall with a looped sound can't.

Watch the wind.

If you can, go out to a State Park, County open space, basically, an area where coyotes have not been called and shot at, and try to call them there. If you get one coming to the call, watch how they approach, and from where. Then, try and figure out why they came from 'there'.

Jpicket What sounds do you recommend, If you’re not using a rabbit call
I use mostly wood pecker and pup. In reality it doesn’t matter. Coyotes don’t know that an eastern woodpecker doesn’t live in Idaho they just know something sounds like it’s hurt or getting killed. That’s why they come. I don’t use rabbit because that’s usually what they hear from guys that do t know what there doing and get educated. Find something that sounds frantic and not like trouble they already know. They’ll come

Last edited:
I have a buddy that called one in with something stupid like hyena distress just to see if he could. He did. Kinda proved the point for me. I almost hate to share, I’m more protective of my coyote hunting then anything but you guys probably aren’t hunting where I am. I can usually call dogs where other guys swear it can’t be done. And to the point of stand selection and approach I firmly believe that’s 90% of your success and what most guys screw up. Set up right and if that sound hits ears a coyotes gunna come look.

I appreciate your insight. I am one of those rookies you’re talking about I’ve had some success with the pup in distress calls but I’m struggling when they hang up 500 yards out

Honestly you will mess up a lot. Part of coyote huntin is learning what they want to hear. Which may or may not be what you are using. With that being said I’ve used a cassette player with a rabbit distress tape, to a fox pro. And I will alway revert back to hand call. You can change the variations and tones. And I think it all around is more effective. But all being said practice is how you do it. And you are going to blow a lot of stands and get very frustrated. Coyote huntin is probably the funniest huntin you can do, but it is also very frustrating.

I appreciate your insight. I am one of those rookies you’re talking about I’ve had some success with the pup in distress calls but I’m struggling when they hang up 500 yards out
They either see you enough to know somethings not right or the call alone isn’t doing it for them. Not sure what call your using but I always have one with a decoy. Don’t always run it because I want them coming in slow and looking. But if they hang up sometimes the movement can get them to commit. It can make them charge though so I always have a shot gun in my lap. Switching to a coaxer call on a hung up coyote can work too. You’d be amazed at how far they can hear a mole squeak. I stopped one dead units tracks one time at 250 by just lip squeaking. There an impressive critter and a lot tougher to master them most guys give them credit for

Don’t let these guys fool you, coyote hunting takes no skill. Coyotes are the participation trophies of the hunting world. Hell Biden likely hunts coyotes.

You want to make it more easy than it already is? Take your dog with you.

Appreciate the help I’ll be hitting later this week when the wife kicks me out of the house so she can get her cooking done. A great time to be out until the lakes Get iced over and ice fishing gets going

I live in north routt With a couple of small dogs so I have extra incentive to keep the coyotes in check. The wife would have a heart attack if I took one of the dogs with me. Ha ha

Another thing guys mess up is calling too loud. You can never be too quite but you can be too loud. Start low, work up in volume slowly. And don’t pay attention to SS. He’s just upset that coyotes are taller then he is

Oh those coyotes are so tricky! Wait until dark and use a spotlight to bring them in. They are sooooo smart ????. They literally come in to a bright light hahahaha

Good info, I definitely I am guilty of calling loud. And I am a firm believer of a stream flash light in the dark. I have been driving around at night howling trying to figure out some new spots to hunt them. One of these days I need to invest in some night optics to complete the package.

Les johnson did a real good video about howling at night and why he doesn’t do that in areas he wants to hunt. I fully agree with not doing that. And I’ve never been interested in night hunting. Killing coyotes isn’t really the high for me, it’s calling them. I’m just as happy with a stand I get busted on as I am on a kill

I like the coaxer calls and often start with those. I also use the lip squeaks. Kissy sounds alone have brought in a lot of coyotes that were close.

As many have said there is so much a guy can do with $100 worth of hand calls. I also love that with a hand call I can instantly adjust my call to match the mood of the coyote.

Just wanted to say thanks. I have been swamped and decided to take a break and try some of the new tactics you good people have recommended. So late today I went and set out to try a snow shoe hare call on low volume 3-5, which is far cry from the loud pup in distress calls I have been using. My great set up failed to disclose any coyote that might be really close. I had a great view of fields and a couple of draws with one blind spot. Much to my delight and suprise, within 3 minutes of calling a coyote came up the blind side and was within 8-10 yards of me and point blank at my call. I had to think for second to avoid destroying my call.
Appreciate everyone's help.

coyote.jpeg

my only advice....if calling....and they come....and you can't kill them....don't shoot......all you do is make them smarter.....

Well I just got my starter E caller in the mail today. And started playing around with it. I say starter because I couldn’t justify putting out a few hundred dollars if I’m just gonna be a casual coyote hunter. I did find a good deal on a Johnny Stewart for $60 regular $100. It seems to work just fine it’s a place to start. If it looks like I’m gonna take it more serious then I’ll make an investment on a really good set up. ? I’m gonna try to get out to Colorado before Christmas and break it in. And I do have some feathers and some rabbit fur. I’m gonna make some kind of attractant that I can stick in some sagebrush somewhere.

Last edited:
Just curious, is it worth it to retry the same spots every few weeks or should I be looking at one and done for the season for coyotes on these spots or maybe start trying bobcat or some other calls. I really don't want to shoot the foxes I see even though I haven't called them in.

I have a found a ton of martin tracks in some of my spots and wondering if they are callable.

Your thoughts?

Not sure about martens. I’ll call the same spots but give them a few weeks before I go back. If you called in one there’s more around

When you called one in, did you kill it? If yes, then go back and call the same area again. If no, then wait a week or 2, and use a different sound.
I used to have a private duck hunting club that allowed me coyote hunting. This property was 710 acres, and I would hunt it twice a month, killing 2-3 coyotes each time, though on occasion, I would get skunked.

Dead coyotes are not 'educated' coyotes, lol.

K22 - More good info - Thanks I did kill the only one that I seen. I will hit it again later this week.

My youngest has about a 50yard walk from his place to mine. Sometimes at night, when he needs something from our place, I will activate my e-call just to check his footwork.

I prefer my old Circe hand call for calling them in.

Took some buddies out to show them the ropes of predator hunting, wasn’t the ideal place that we went but got them out of the house. Ended up calling in a bobcat to 40 yards, but no shots were taken. Bob kind of slinked off like he came in, what are the odds that the cat is hanging around? Are they pretty territorial?

Just wanted to say thanks. I have been swamped and decided to take a break and try some of the new tactics you good people have recommended. So late today I went and set out to try a snow shoe hare call on low volume 3-5, which is far cry from the loud pup in distress calls I have been using. My great set up failed to disclose any coyote that might be really close. I had a great view of fields and a couple of draws with one blind spot. Much to my delight and suprise, within 3 minutes of calling a coyote came up the blind side and was within 8-10 yards of me and point blank at my call. I had to think for second to avoid destroying my call.
Appreciate everyone's help.

View attachment 61875
congrats, now you are hooked;)

I used mouth calls to bring in this young male yesterday late in the evening. Gives me great satisfaction when I call em in using my mouth call. He came in after about 20 minutes. Be patient calling. Sometimes they come from a ways out and are a little wary.
3889C91E-8A30-4BD2-B2D7-E7E6F8EB8484.jpeg

my go to rifle is my 40 year old Rugar M77-220 swift with a 3X9 leupold.

Also have a couple AR15"s with 3X9 leupold's that use now and again.

Always have them turned way down. The dogs show up pretty close.

My coyote gun was one of the least expensive set ups but also super happy with the value, I’m running a 2-10 bushnell engage on a .223 ruger American predator.
I’m the same way. My predator gun is definitely the cheapest I hunt with. Remington 783 16.5” heavy barrel 223 with a refurbished Nikon tactical 3-9.

Just curious, is it worth it to retry the same spots every few weeks or should I be looking at one and done for the season for coyotes on these spots or maybe start trying bobcat or some other calls. I really don't want to shoot the foxes I see even though I haven't called them in.

I have a found a ton of martin tracks in some of my spots and wondering if they are callable.

Your thoughts?
A good spot today is a good spot next week and next month. I used to run the aqueducts when I lived in CA. There were spots that produced on almost all our hunts.

What power scopes are you guys running on your coyote rifles?
I use a 3.5x10x50, on my favorite calling rifle.

My best equipment is one of my calling rifles. It's a Sako, L461 in 222RemMag, topped with a Kahles 3.5x10.50.

I figure I get to use my best equipment a lot in real hunting situations, and, the Kahles let's me stay in the field later at the end of the day.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom