Crane talk

NMPaul

We drew crane tags in Deming area on Jan 2nd and 3rd.
Not bird hunters, but, sure would like to just see one of those big dinosaurs fall out of the sky if lucky enough to hit one and then eat it.
Plan was to get there a day early and try to find birds and then ask the farmers if we can hunt the next day.
If you got any better ideas let us know. I cant give you any bird advice in return, but, maybe some help with some other type of NM hunting. We will probably miss any birds we shoot at. But, I can promise I wont share your spots with anyone else.

That's a good plan. Find the fields they are heading to. Then get someplace in their path and shoot some. Lead them a couple feet if they flying fast.
They are excellent eating if you do get one. Good luck

Don’t pass over Columbus area. Can be a lot of them down there. Big farms across the Mexico border to the west. They bounce back and forth

Use a blind. We had no luck on crane for five years then we made us a blind out of PVC and camo burlap, it was a game changer. We use the sock decoys, they seem to work well for the price. Good luck. They are delicious. Crazy to see such a big bird falling out of the sky.

Thanks guys. In all seriousness we are not taking this to seriously, we are probably taking our bows and skedaddle to AZ for the OTC archery deer season the second we realize we suck at bird hunting. It would be great to whack one, but, just probably not gonna put the necessary effort into it. Would prob ably be more willing to pay a trespass fee for a place that has birds consistently in it and blinds since we will probably only bring shotguns no decoys or blind.

I’ve never hunted down in Deming so I can’t help out with spots. They’re really tough to attract without decoys but if you find a field they’re feeding on or flying to/from you can knock em down, just make sure you are concealed well in tall grass, weeds, etc. They’re very wary if a blind stands out. If they see you, you have no chance. Wear a camouflage face mask. If you find a crane call get one (Amazon). I’ve turned groups of crane from several hundred yards out to fly over my decoys just by calling. Heck, even without a call or decoys, don’t be afraid to mimic their calls if you see or hear them. Use your binos. If you see them in the distance, they are curious and will come check you out if you sound like a crane (more so if you have decoys out). I prefer to shoot BB size shot with a long range choke built for steel shot. Good luck. They are a blast.

I’ve never hunted down in Deming so I can’t help out with spots. They’re really tough to attract without decoys but if you find a field they’re feeding on or flying to/from you can knock em down, just make sure you are concealed well in tall grass, weeds, etc. They’re very wary if a blind stands out. If they see you, you have no chance. Wear a camouflage face mask. If you find a crane call get one (Amazon). I’ve turned groups of crane from several hundred yards out to fly over my decoys just by calling. Heck, even without a call or decoys, don’t be afraid to mimic their calls if you see or hear them. Use your binos. If you see them in the distance, they are curious and will come check you out if you sound like a crane (more so if you have decoys out). I prefer to shoot BB size shot with a long range choke built for steel shot. Good luck. They are a blast.
Good stuff. I just want to see one of those Pterodactyls cart wheel out of the sky

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom