Craziest ammo prices you've seen?

deadibob

Long Time Member
Prices of ammo have been crazy all year. I know demand has far outstripped supply so it's to be expected. I also know that dealers are limited to the inventory they can get in right now and if they are only putting a 35-40% markup on it then many buyers are just flipping it for the profit themselves and the dealer is left with empty shelves. So it is common sense that a store is going to raise the prices and I can't blame them for that.

That being said there are some ridiculous prices out there and I just came across the worst I've seen last Friday when I stopped in a gun store that I've never been in before.
Out of curiosity I looked at ammo, my buddy that was with me wanted some 5.7 fn ammo and they had some but a box of 50 rounds was $99; That however wasn't the worst, they had federal bulk pack 525 rounds of .22lr; The kind I last paid $8.97 for at Walmart. The price was $147.00; Not a typo, one-hundred and forty seven dollars. :eek:

Has anyone seen higher prices on .22lr than that? Or anything else for that matter? I'm just glad there really isn't anything I need at the moment. I guess I could use some more .243 win and 10mm brass or a few hundred .243 bullets. Not that I need them, I'm just not at my usual comfortable inventory level.

Haven't seen anything to beat that. I'm paying $75.00 bucks a hundred for 10mm plinking ammo. But, there is lots of it. Hate to but building brass supply and need to wring out the G20 some. mtmuley

$99 - $125 a box of 6.5 PRC Hornady Precision Hunter/Match ammo.
I paid $50 a box for some Browning .270 ammo the other day, and $60 a box for some Hornady .270 ammo, and that was some of the cheaper boxes.

Found a box of 7 mag Remington core lokt for 30 dollars. That will work for sheep moose bou deer and elk this fall.

I don't believe you paid $8.97 for 525 rounds of 22 at walmart....ever

I was at Discount Guns in San Diego this weekend and was pleasantly surprised.....my son bought a box of 26 nosler for $65

I was at Discount Guns in San Diego this weekend and was pleasantly surprised.....my son bought a box of 26 nosler for $65
Paid 9.99 for for 500 rounds of .22 in 1998…

I Hope He Didn't Buy them from hm?

I Know You Better than That!

Haven't seen anything to beat that. I'm paying $75.00 bucks a hundred for 10mm plinking ammo. But, there is lots of it. Hate to but building brass supply and need to wring out the Ga20 some. mtmuley
I've seen 10mm ammo for less than that at a couple places but I'm going to have to scratch my head to remember where. There is more 10mm ammo in stock than most other run of the mill calibers because not as many people shoot it.

The 10mm is the greatest all around handgun cartridge ever designed and the only reason it never caught on big is because those limp-wristed FBI puzzies couldn't handle it so they had the .40S&W created instead. 1,250-1300fps with a 200-220 grain hardcast slug is a lot of firepower when you've got 15 of them in the magazine.

I started shooting the 10mm in 1990 in my LAR Grizzly 1911. I had a g20 like yours but put a 6" lone wolf barrel in it. I really like third gen smith 10's and have had a couple but they're hard to get parts for. I took a Dan Wesson Bruin to Kodiak island for a blacktail hunt and I just picked up a Springfield XDM OSP 10mm that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.

I did but it was 25 years ago, I still have some left. It stayed at those prices for over a decade. I'm sure others remember those prices. Whether you believe it or not means two schitts to me.

Back in 2007 I had a pallet of American Eagle .22l.r., for sale at the store I managed. It was the 40/400/4,000 round box, brick, case. I was selling the 40 round boxes for $.99, Bricks $8.99 and a case of 4,000 for $79.99; I couldn't hardly get anyone to buy it by the case back then.

Anyone know what once fired shotgun hulls are worth these days? I have about 50,000. I’ll dig em out when I can trade them for a rifle or a new truck.

I paid $54 for a box of Nosler eTip ammo for my 280 ai. Really only wanted it for the brass.

There hasn't been any ammo here on the shelves for a year and a half. Small amounts are starting to show up. 5.56 or 223 are about a dollar a round, doesn't matter if you buy 20rounds or 200. Bought some 45 ACP (Blazer) for $36 a box, 40 S&W $31 a box. Paid $8.99 for a box of Norma 22 LR.

I didn't go in the store to buy ammo but came out with $400 worth that I could carry in one hand.

Happened to be at a Walmart on Memorial Day at 8am. They had a shipment that included Federal 22lr. A box of 325 was $18.80 or something close to that. They had a 3 box limit no matter which calibers you purchased. I bought 3 boxes of the 22lr as they had no other calibers that I own.

I just paid 1853.00 for two small cases of 6.5 PRC. That's twenty box's of ammo. I have had a back order on the same ammo since December at Optic's planet. I don't think they are going to make it ? Still looking for 300 PRC. If anyone hears of any out there let me know.

$49.99 for 380 ammo box of 50- same for 45. $24.99 for a box of 410 shotgun shells.

9mm is down to $29.99 for a 50 round box of Blazer and Remington 115 grain bullets. Still over double what it use to be,

The last month, prices are dropping and more ammo is on the shelf, along with powder, brass and primes. Still not where we need to be, but it's improving. Brass is still fairly hard to find.

Last edited:
I just paid 1853.00 for two small cases of 6.5 PRC. That's twenty box's of ammo. I have had a back order on the same ammo since December at Optic's planet. I don't think they are going to make it ? Still looking for 300 PRC. If anyone hears of any out there let me know.
So is that 400 rounds? mtmuley

Seen a bunch today at scheels today in Johnstown Colorado.

only a plumber could jump on that.....

Scheels had a ton of Hornady 225 grain match ammo for around $50 a box. I can run over and see if they still have some if you’re interested.

So is that 400 rounds? mtmuley
Yes 400 rounds ! I have heard of it selling for worse prices. Right ? But with having a new gun coming with no ammunition. Makes it kind of a oar instead of a gun. Well the 6.5 PRC is taken care of. I still have a very expensive 300 PRC oar on its way. ????

I know where some 300 prc 212 eldx $100 a box

$99 for 20 Remington core-lokts. Can’t believe people paid that hit guess they did.

I draw the line at $2.5 per bullet but if you are patient, $2 per has been realistic. I use alerts from ammoseek and ordered 2 boxes of exactly what I was looking for at $2 per while in an plane fixing to take off!

I know where some 300 prc 212 eldx $100 a box
I was offered some 300 PRC already at 100 a box. I would only go to 90 bucks a box. But I think and hope things are winding down. Maybe returning a little more to normal ? Hearing that Scheel's is starting to get some in is a good sign.

I put a couple 800 rd bricks of federal .22 in a local auction back in February. Think I had paid $80 apiece for them. Sold for $330 each and I think whoever bought them had to pay 10% on top of that....

Swift A-frame 30-06 for $102.99

I keep saying to myself, "these prices can't continue like this" been saying that for over a year now.

Looking for some ultra mag brass!

Anyone seen any in their travels??

Got a 3rd season colorado hunt,

and a couple of Utah rifle hunts this year.

I am driving through Utah this week. Has anyone seen any 6.5cm (insert lame joke here) hornady precision hunter eldx ammo?

There is 300 rum on the shelf at Sportsman here in Saint George. My 300 rum brass looks a little different after I take it out of my gun. Wouldn’t be much good to you. ??

There is 300 rum on the shelf at Sportsman here in Saint George. My 300 rum brass looks a little different after I take it out of my gun. Wouldn’t be much good to you. ??
It would for reloading unless you’re shooting hot loads for some odd reason?!

Been reloading my spent shells for the past three years with no probs!

Well the bottom is the same. What do you think about the top ?
AF167D7D-CF87-4C4C-A918-FB79B29E1C31.jpeg
B657F93B-E489-4561-85AB-620F1CA508F4.png

It would for reloading unless you’re shooting hot loads for some odd reason?!

Been reloading my spent shells for the past three years with no problem

Last week both cabelas and scheels here in CO had CCI large rifle primers. Cabelas price was $145 for a box of 1000, scheels had them for $44.99. Guess who just lost my business forever?
Cabelas lost my business years ago and as far as I'm concerned they and Bass Pro don't even exist. Scheels is definitely going to benefit from the demise of Cabelas. I'm concerned about what may happen to Sportsmans now that they've also been swallowed up by Bass 'Ho.

Yep that’s what I was try to say to old blood tracker. I fire form my brass. Unless I buy them like this on the bottom. ?
B8739B11-03A6-4E73-A2DC-6A4AD1C5A3AA.png

Seen Winchester 308 150gr power points for $39.99 in Fernley NV today. I had to pick up my granddaughter to come visit in Elko so I though I would check out Ranch supply. Needless to say I didn’t get any

Looked at a box of 243 that I have sitting on the shelf it was $6.99 tag brought from Target. It's been years since they sold ammo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom