Credit Card Hits

I'm not taking your tag shedneck.....I'm in for a couple of long odds picks this year. Archery season won't work this year as using my Colorado points.

I'm in for hunts that i can only pull in the random pool, still alway excited to see if lightning strikes. Best of luck fellow MM faithful.

Just a heads up on those credit card hits. Once the first person posts they got a hit, it’s pretty much over. The batch happens almost instantaneous. If you don‘t get a hit within this period, it’s over. You’ll then have to wait as rejected cards are processed to the next guy in line.

Reason I bring this up is because every year, about an hour after everyone posts a hit, people start asking if they’re still charging cards. People get fooled into thinking the hits continue to happen for several hours/days because their credit cards eventually process a pending charge. In reality, the initial credit card “hits” ended within minutes after started. In this case, on the morning of 2/26.

Eventually, guys will get hit throughout the weekend and next few days as they process the rejected next in line app. So if you don’t get anything within the first moments on the morning of 2/26......well, you’re SOL and gotta hope you’re next in line! :)

When I drew my unit 9 archery elk tag, it took a couple days. However, that was my Cabelas Visa and they were very slow to update. Now with my Chase card, I can’t say...they won’t draw my name again...those dirty bastards!
Good luck everybody.

I now only use credit cards that show an immediate hit for a pending charge. Previously I couldn't stand the delay with the Cabela's card. Now that they're with Capital One I think they will show up instantly too.

So easy anymore to set up notifications for anytime your card is used without the chip, or any amount over a certain number. Know instantly when you draw.

Once the first person posts they got a hit, it’s pretty much over. The batch happens almost instantaneous. If you don‘t get a hit within this period, it’s over.

Debbie downer!!! ?

Once the first person posts they got a hit, it’s pretty much over. The batch happens almost instantaneous. If you don‘t get a hit within this period, it’s over.

Debbie downer!!! ?
Just trying to squelch what will be the number one question on Friday morning about 10AM! ?

When I drew my unit 9 archery elk tag, it took a couple days. However, that was my Cabelas Visa and they were very slow to update. Now with my Chase card, I can’t say...they won’t draw my name again...those dirty bastards!
Good luck everybody.
I use a Chase card and for me, it’s instant. I have an alert set to notify me for any charges over $5. I can use it anywhere....gas, restaurant, Amazon....etc and I get the alert before I even put the card back in my wallet.

On my last elk tag in 2017, it was a very busy and hectic day at work. I was unable to constantly check the forums to see if the hits had started. Haha. Anyways, I got a notification alert on my phone. I glanced down and saw it was from Chase. Opened it up and saw a charge from AZGFD!! I let out the biggest holler and startled my coworkers In the office! ?

Good luck everyone!

The hair on my arms are starting to stand on end like Spiderman. My elk senses must be telling me I'm going to draw!

Sort of like microcosm of baseball in two days.

Today is like the first day of spring training - hope springs eternal. No matter how bad your team is (or draw odds), you always feel like you have a chance.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is like the last day of the season. Either you won the big one or you'll get 'em next year.

I applied on Feb 5 and still no record in my portal that I applied!! Kind of frustrating not seeing it. Makes you wonder if you're even in the drawing!!

The portal is not connected to the application system. They've tried for years to get the portal to connect to the database but it's a total **** show this year. They are populating portal accounts by hand.

Other sites have reported delays in either processing of cards, or of the actual draw not even ready to be held. One person claimed the AZGFD told them today the draw may not be held today. I guess we just hang on and wait. Not much else we can do.

As many of you probably read, this is from the AZDGF website from earlier this week.

IMPORTANT: AZGFD continues to validate more than 150,000 applications. As a reminder, a customer’s receipt is verification that their application was received by the department. There is no need to contact the department if a customer cannot view data (such as submitted applications, bonus points, license purchases) in their personal portal account at this time.

AZGFD expects to resolve this inconvenience once the draw has been completed and hunt permit-tags are issued. In the meantime, the department appreciates the continued support and patience of its valued customers.

GAME AND FISH NEWS
Feb. 26, 2021

2021 elk, pronghorn hunt draw in progress
Elk_-_Bull_-_3_1.JPG
PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) reminds hunters that the processing of draw applications for 2021 elk and pronghorn hunt permit-tags is underway. The deadline to submit applications was Feb. 9.

AZGFD continues to validate a record 170,000 applications, an increase of almost 18,000 over last year. As a reminder, a customer’s receipt is verification that their application was received by the department. There is no need to contact the department if a customer cannot view data (such as submitted applications, bonus points, license purchases) in their personal portal account at this time.

AZGFD expects to resolve this inconvenience once the draw has been completed and hunt permit-tags are issued. In the meantime, the department appreciates the continued support and patience of its valued customers.

There also is no need to contact the department about draw results. AZGFD will post an announcement on its website and social media channels when draw results are available. All hunt permit-tags will be mailed by April 2.​

1614387258444.png

What's a few more days?? 18000 more applicants?? Dead people applying? People applying more than once? There goes the random odds.....

Problem is you can't update your credit card anymore. Imagine now your credit card getting compromised over the weekend and no ability to change it. Had they done the draw yesterday, you'd been good to go. How many guys will this happen to? Probably very few, but if it screws just one guy, that's BS!

Problem is you can't update your credit card anymore. Imagine now your credit card getting compromised over the weekend and no ability to change it. Had they done the draw yesterday, you'd been good to go. How many guys will this happen to? Probably very few, but if it screws just one guy, that's BS!
Great point.

I've been calling my CC company about every hour, no hit yet. I hope one of you gets lucky and gets a hit on your credit card and posts it here.

What's a few more days?? 18000 more applicants?? Dead people applying? People applying more than once? There goes the random odds.....
Nope, they are living. You just put in every family member, friend, stranger and then one day piggy back off their points, and then do point guard for that person when you draw on the party application. Then you can piggy back off the same person again the next year There you go, cats out of the bag. AZGFD knows this loophole too but won’t fix it.

My wife couldn't update her card. the system refused it saying she didn't exist in their records. I have G&F receipts and bank statements that say otherwise. I finally got hold of a lady and gave her the info. She told me that they would contact me about updating the cc. I am still waiting.

FWIW her portal says she didn't apply. I called twice about it and was told both times not to worry. It's all BS. They are the most inept government agency I have ever dealt with and that's saying alot.

My wife couldn't update her card. the system refused it saying she didn't exist in their records. I have G&F receipts and bank statements that say otherwise. I finally got hold of a lady and gave her the info. She told me that they would contact me about updating the cc. I am still waiting.

FWIW her portal says she didn't apply. I called twice about it and was told both times not to worry. It's all BS. They are the most inept government agency I have ever dealt with and that's saying a lot.
It is definitely a frustrating system. The portal, the points system, and the license system don't communicate with each other. So you never know exactly where you stand.

I know I saw it on here somewhere that the AZG&F decided to wait until AFTER this draw to fix this communication issue. Guess we'll find out.

Now if I draw a tag this year, it will be a great system!! :LOL: :LOL:

Nope, they are living. You just put in every family member, friend, stranger and then one day piggy back off their points, and then do point guard for that person when you draw on the party application. Then you can piggy back off the same person again the next year There you go, cats out of the bag. AZGFD knows this loophole too but won’t fix it.
I'll be dang. Never thought about scheming the system that way. I guess the catch is you need a non-hunting spouse to just build points.

Question, say you and your spouse draw, and she returns her tag on point guard. She keeps her points but still pays the ~$650 (NR, elk) for the tag, correct?

I'll be dang. Never thought about scheming the system that way. I guess the catch is you need a non-hunting spouse to just build points.

Question, say you and your spouse draw, and she returns her tag on point guard. She keeps her points but still pays the ~$650 (NR, elk) for the tag, correct?
Not with point guard, just the 5 dollar fee. And it doesn’t need to be a spouse, it can literally be anyone. I know two notable assholes that put a half dozen people in a year. And none of them hunt.

Joe2Kool, to answer your question, that is correct.

I have a non-resident relative in who last year applied for 4b cow elk by accident when he wanted 4b bull. He ended up donating the tag, eating the $650 but he got all his points back plus last years point. I'm sure some people use the point guard to their advantage but it obviously has some good points as in the case of my relative. Good Luck in the draw

Joe2Kool, to answer your question, that is correct.

I have a non-resident relative in who last year applied for 4b cow elk by accident when he wanted 4b bull. He ended up donating the tag, eating the $650 but he got all his points back plus last years point. I'm sure some people use the point guard to their advantage but it obviously has some good points as in the case of my relative. Good Luck in the draw
I agree the point guard is a good thing, but can be improved. Party applications should default to the lowest point holder and not a group average. Then if you do use the point guard the entire party application should have to surrender the tag.

Yes the tag fee is forfeited but don’t forget you also have to buy the $160 NR hunting license yearly for the non-hunter and the $5 point guard to utilize this strategy.

The next year the hunter’s points will be reset from 0-2 dependent on the presence of a loyalty or hunter ed bonus point so your non-hunter has to have built up 15 years or so of points to help much in the draw since the points are averaged...

Horniac

Sweet, now there will be 30k more apps next year. Thanks for that.

Not with point guard, just the 5 dollar fee. And it doesn’t need to be a spouse, it can literally be anyone. I know two notable assholes that put a half dozen people in a year. And none of them hunt.
That’s not correct, you eat the $650 elk tag plus $5 point guard

LOL You all sound naive. My non-hunter wife would never give back a Trophy Elk tag. She'd make me buy her a fancy new rifle, teach her to shoot, work harder than ever to get her a shot at a big one very close to the road and warm truck. Yes all before I could even think about filling my tag.
And that would be just fine with me. Like the honeymoon I always wanted but never got.

seems like a fruitless strategy for non residents with the points needed to draw now and in the future. Going to need a lot of points to average enough for a unit 10 archery tag. On the other hand if wife or kids like to hunt take a shot at random tag while building points.

I agree the point guard is a good thing, but can be improved. Party applications should default to the lowest point holder and not a group average. Then if you do use the point guard the entire party application should have to surrender the tag.
I am not a fan of everyone surrendering tag because there are real life situations that arise and no need to punish everyone because one person on application forfeited tag. I suggest that if the person that forfeits tag on application is the highest point holder then that person does not get points reinstated unless everyone surrenders their tag. This would get rid of using the points more than once.

I am not a fan of everyone surrendering tag because there are real life situations that arise and no need to punish everyone because one person on application forfeited tag. I suggest that if the person that forfeits tag on application is the highest point holder then that person does not get points reinstated unless everyone surrenders their tag. This would get rid of using the points more than once.
I like that rationale!

seems like a fruitless strategy for non residents with the points needed to draw now and in the future. Going to need a lot of points to average enough for a unit 10 archery tag. On the other hand if wife or kids like to hunt take a shot at random tag while building points.
Not everyone wants to draw Unit 10. OK they might WANT to, but not everyone is trying to.

It's clearly a long term play but it's something I hadn't fully considered.

Not true. She PAYS for the tag regardless if she turns it in or not. The only benefit of PG is she gets her points back. So for a NR, it means eating license & tag the tune of more than $800.

EDIT. As you were. I should have read the entire thread before replying. Thus, I would have seen someone else got it straight.

Last edited:
The first year Point Guard was available, there was a listing on Ebay for points sharing. Last I saw it, it was at several thousand dollars. Haven't seen anything like that since...but there is a very active, behind the scenes, market for points! I suppose a person could argue about how right or wrong that may be...but it is not illegal. Having said that, you would be hard pressed to claim that it was fair to the rest of us. I mean...if you have enough cash, you can buy enough points to hunt.

Last edited:
I wonder if the 18K more applicants are new folks just starting or a lot that have been just buying points but now are jumping in to actually try drawing a tag ?
Elk ? Lopes? Or the total combined ?

The only thing I see as along time AZ. res. is give a extra point to Residents for ever 5 or 10 years of Residentsy's with so many people moving here. Please. especially for us older folfs ,65 plus.Results will be out when they are out . Don't worry abouut it............................BULL!

Think positive, and on the bright side. They actually ran the draw on Friday morning when they said they would, but now they are holding results until everything is all perfect with the Portal, for all the whiners out there. Their IT people (working from home, because of Covid, should have the issues fixed by May 1st!!).

Think positive, and on the bright side. They actually ran the draw on Friday morning when they said they would, but now they are holding results until everything is all perfect with the Portal, for all the whiners out there. Their IT people (working from home, because of Covid, should have the issues fixed by May 1st!!).

JFYI I've been working in software, from home for 20+ years. A lot easier to get a LOT more done that way, not less ;)

I got out of IT in early 90's. If I thought I could work from home someday I might have stuck with it. I was never so miserable in a job I was as a computer programmer. I was blessed to have an understanding wife that encouraged me to do something that I really wanted to do. It's a great career for some people, just not for me.

Working in IT is a lot like real life. It's the 1's that really make it worth living, but the 0's are the pain in the butts!!

I got out of IT in early 90's. If I thought I could work from home someday I might have stuck with it. I was never so miserable in a job I was as a computer programmer. I was blessed to have an understanding wife that encouraged me to do something that I really wanted to do. It's a great career for some people, just not for me.
What makes it worth while to me is I can do whatever I want pretty much every day of the year. I set my own hours and hunt for weeks/months straight every year. I work from the mountains all the time. Really only need a cell signal and I'm good. Oh and the $ is pretty good ;) I think you got out a little too early :)

What makes it worth while to me is I can do whatever I want pretty much every day of the year. I set my own hours and hunt for weeks/months straight every year. I work from the mountains all the time. Really only need a cell signal and I'm good. Oh and the $ is pretty good ;) I think you got out a little too early :)
I stopped investing in the stock market in 2008 when everything hit the fan. Instead, I should have been buying then maybe I could be hunting in the hills every fall with guys like you. My timing always seem to be off. Oh well...........

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom