Creep Lives On

DanMan

Well it looks like the point creep is alive and well in Ut. I had thought that my 14 nr points would get me a Wasatch midseason LE bull tag based on 2019 odds - but nope.
It will be interesting to see the draw report on everything when it comes available.

Well I have 20le elk and went off last year's allotment on the Dutton muzzy hunt and got hosed again two years in a row due to taking bonus tag away.. I will have to figure out a new plan for next year.

I hoped that this might be my year for NR deer with 23 points, but it appears that I will be the last one in my point pool to ever get it done. Wish I hadn’t missed those couple years back in the 90’s now.

I hoped that this might be my year for NR deer with 23 points, but it appears that I will be the last one in my point pool to ever get it done. Wish I hadn’t missed those couple years back in the 90’s now.
By the time you can draw you would be better off to move to Utah then you can split the points and two residents could draw off the points

Pretty committed here in Idaho, until the last parent is gone, then watch out. Someplace where they ask "What's a snow shovel" will look better and better!!

Same here!
23 points didn’t get it done for me either.
I applied for the Pauns Muzzy.
Looks like we will all be in the same boat next year with 24 points each.
Those with 25 and more points will draw the tags then.
Which hunts did you guys apply for this year?

25 points?? That is a long wait....I lucked out I guess and drew Vernon rifle with 11 points 8 years ago...

I'll be really interested in the draw odds report, when it comes out. Some people obviously changed hunts or opted out of points only. BH and I have been trying for that muzzy tag. I had some conflicts with the date this year and switched to rifle season. Maybe it is because I am due for a sheep tag somewhere! Bwahaha. :)

If there is a multiple years supply of applicants in pool, you will have to clear that pool before the next one down is in draw position and points to draw go up. One point less could add a bunch of years to be in draw position. You really need to total all the applicants ahead of you and divide it by tags per year to get years to be in draw position. Then it might take enough years to clear the people in your pool to draw but odds are it will be around half that.

25 points?? That is a long wait....I lucked out I guess and drew Vernon rifle with 11 points 8 years ago...
Yes, tell me about! I have tried for years and years to get drawn for the Monroe early Elk tag. Once SFW got involved, my chances have gone out the window. We'll see what 25 points brings next year in another unit.

I'm sure I'll get some heat for saying this as a Utah resident but a NR applying in Utah is just a tool to bring more money into the system. Not all NR's know this but Utah only allows residents to apply for only one Lifetime, one LE, Dedicated, and General Deer to improve our draw odds. They allow NR to apply for everything to bring more money into the system and it really hurts your draw odds. Do I think it would fix point creep for NR if it was switched to the same was as it is for residents no, but it would increase your odds on the 50% random tags. But think about how much they made off NR application fees alone. For 2019 just for OIL NR's 6,799 applied for moose, 5,031 applied for bison, 11,134 applied for desert sheep, 6,242 applied for rocky, and 5,474 applied for mtn goat. Thats 34,680 NR applications for OIL multiply time the $10 app fee........$346,800 made from NR OIL app fee's alone. I have several NR friends that ask about applying in Utah and tell them not to waste there money, instead apply in Idaho as a NR where you have to choose. It seems if Utah didn't allow you to use the same hunting license for 2 years in a row and made you buy one every year it could make up some of the money if they switched NR apps to the way it is for residents.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom