Crispy coconut shrimp...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...with fries, a pepper popper & garlic breadstick last night. My bride had shrimp with a club soda batter minus the coconut.

coconutshrimpB.JPG

coconutshrimpB2.JPG

I'm with your wife on this one. I'll eat it, but would rather have it so many other ways! While I love fresh coconut, once processed it tastes like crap to me, and is just nasty roughage.

I'm with your wife on this one. I'll eat it, but would rather have it so many other ways! While I love fresh coconut, once processed it tastes like crap to me, and is just nasty roughage.
Not quite. Ellen doesn't eat coconut no matter what, where or how.

When you love de coconut, but hate the roughage!! Serve over pineapple rice!!!

1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, pat dried with a paper towel
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
  • ¼ tsp. red chili flakes
  • ¼ tsp. kosher salt
  • 2 Tbsp. butter for cooking shrimp
SAUCE
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
  • ¼ tsp. red chili flakes
  • 1 (14 oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk (not lite)
  • 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
  • Zest 1 lime
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, about 1/2 lime
  • Fresh chopped cilantro
  • Kosher salt, to taste
SHRIMP
In a bowl, toss the shrimp with olive oil, honey, garlic, ginger, red chili flakes, and salt. Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.
  1. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. When the butter is hot, add the shrimp with a pair of tongs. Leave the liquid from shrimp inside the bowl. Cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes per side or until pink on the outside.
  2. Remove immediately to a clean bowl. Shrimp will be raw on the inside. If you have leftover liquid in the pan from the shrimp, drain it before adding butter in the next step.
SAUCE
  1. Reduce the heat to medium and add butter to the skillet. Add shallots, white parts of scallions, and chili flakes. Cook for a few minutes until soft and fragrant. Stir in coconut milk and fish sauce. Season with salt to taste. Simmer until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
  2. Stir in lime zest, juice, and shrimp. Simmer for few minutes until the shrimp is cooked through. Do not overcook the shrimp. Add green parts of scallions and cilantro.

10F1C1B8-E305-4BEE-B0E8-50E436CB65E4.jpeg

No, I don't like the chicken. I could totally live on nothing but the batter off fried chicken!! It's GOOD!! :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom