Cross Bow vs Compond Bow

W

Wyomingben

In Wyoming, its legal to use either during Archery Season. I am not interseted being a purest or feeling good. I want to know the technical aspects. I want the best chance at Throphy Game within the Laws. What are the pros and cons of both weapons?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-04 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]Well there's a can of worms if I've heard of one :)

Crossbows shoot very fast and flat. They give a marked advantage in yardage estimation. This speed allows for much longer shot, which defeats the purpose of "bow" hunting in the first place IMHO. It's about the hunt not the harvest.

In the hands of the very best, crossbows are not quite as accurate as the very best compound guys out to 90m (98 yards).

For me it's a hands down decision. A trophey to me is the animal I can kill with my own skill. The choice of a crossbow or compound is irrelevant. It's about the hunt and as I happen to shoot tons of target archery with a compound and recurve, that's what I will pick up in the fall.

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-04 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-04 AT 02:10?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-04 AT 02:07?PM (MST)

I am not interested in what makes a trophy to who, take a pocket knife at em for all care. There are plenty of posts on that that make me feel all warm and fuzzy. I am trying to figure out if a Crossbow or a Compond Bow is better for killing something dead during a Archery Season where both are allowed, more of a technical question then a moral one. I'll choose the weapon thats best for me when I have read enough about both. Not trying to offend anyone, sorry Pete,

"Crossbows shoot very fast and flat. They give a marked advantage in yardage estimation. This speed allows for much longer shot,"

Thats the things I want to know in this thread...

Does a Crossbow's size and shape make it difficult to hunt with?
Any Crossbow's in this forum?

Here is what I have so far

Crossbow - advantage in yardage, speed allows for much longer shot

Compound - More accurate with very experieced shooter

Is this correct?

Thanks
Ben

Quote "Crossbow - advantage in yardage, speed allows for much longer shot"

WRONG!-WRONG!-WRONG!-WRONG!-WRONG!-WRONG!-WRONG!-WRONG!-WRONG!

The crossbow is a SHORT range weapon. The crossbow bolt (arrow, for those that don't know better) is much lighter due to it's shorter length than an arrow. They lose velocity fast, they don't have nearly as much kinetic energy, thus they don't have enough penetration at normal long bow or compound ranges. Some crossbow shooters don't even know this. They had best learn about their equipment! A compound is effective at a much greater range.

Divide and conquer!

Why is it that the compound shooters are the first to attack crossbow shooters? The crossbow is older than the compound. I shoot or did before becoming disabled a long bow and recurve. Should I attack compound shooters? I don't attack anybody because if we don't support one another we will all lose. There are plenty of groups trying to outlaw bow hunting. Divide us and they win. Ya'll best reconsider what you are doing.

Oh, by the way, since I can no longer draw my long bows you may be wondering if I hunt with a crossbow. The answer is no! I do have years of experiance shooting primative weapons such as the crossbow but have never used one for hunting other than an occasional shot at a coyote or bobcat called in close.

Crossbow - Only for short range

Compound - More accurate with very experieced shooter, advantage in yardage, more penetration

Is this Correct?

Ben

It's difficult to compare weapons as far as accuracy goes because of the many variables.
For your situation I'd use a compound bow. The weight and shape of a crossbow are a hinderance. Compare the profiles of both weapons. The crossbow is cumbersome to say the least.

It seems holding a drawn compound bow for several minuets waiting for that bull to take another step would be difficult, with a cross bow you are always ready. Agreed a bow would be a lot easier to pack around. Do people use rifle slings with crossbows? Would not be much good in the timber but walking across open country it would carry like a rifle.

This is what I have.

Crossbow - Only for short range, cumbersome size

Compound - advantage in yardage, more penetration, easier to Carry

Is this Correct?

Ben

Holding for minutes? You could come-up with numerous situations that would favor one weapon over another. If they ever happen is another thing.

I would say the compound is a far superior weapon to the crossbow. The bolt of the crossbow losses velocity a lot faster than the heavier arrow from the compound.

Several of the compounds on the market today are very forgiving and easy to shoot. I think if you went to a good pro shop and got rigged out with a bow with high let-off and good speed, you could be accurate enough for hunting within a few hours with proper instruction.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-04 AT 10:51AM (MST)[p]If you are planning to hunt other states I would hunt with a compound...Im not sure which states will let you hunt with a crossbow...but they all let you hunt with a compound. Wouldnt want to invest in a crossbow for one hunt!

I've hunted w/ recurves, compounds, and crossbow over the past forty-five yrs. and ALL have their benefits and disadvantages.
Recurves tend to "stack-up" as you reach full draw, which makes holding long a task.
Compounds, today, are truly "state of the art". Easy to draw, very forgiving, and extremely accurate in the hands of a "well practiced shooter".
Crossbows have also come a long way. They have better limbs, are often compounds w/ wheels or cams and are FAR more accurate then in the past. However, they do generate alot of torque, what w/ their short limbs and short bolts. But, if practiced w/ they are quite formidable and accurate at fairly long ranges(50 to 70yds.) They are not the "flat-shooting" rifle-like weapons they have been purported to be. They have quite an "arch" beyond 25yds. or so!!
I've been using a crossbow for about 8 yrs. now and I still have to be at my best, when hunting, to be successful, just as I had to be w/ a compound or recurve.
To me it's about HUNTING, not the weapon of choice!!!
Just my 2 cents worth!!!!! Enjoy whatever choice you make!!! :D

I live in wyoming, so it would be for more then one hunt. It sounds to me like a Compond bow is the way to go from reading these posts. There seems to be no real advantage to using a crossbow, is this correct? I just was under the impression Bow hunters considered them "cheating" and did not use them.

Thanks for the Posts
Wyomingben

Are you planning on walking around the woods with your crossbow cocked? seems kind of risky to me. If you have to load it and **** it I think this will alert your game.

whtelk,
Do you stalk around the woods w/ a bullet chambered ?
A crossbow has a "safety" just like a rifle.
Cocked and loaded it's just as safe as the person using it, period!

I really appreciate Weasels post. Thats says it all for me. As for the better weapon, I am not sure. I do know that I can take game out to fifty yards fairly easy. Drawing my bow is not hard for me and getting it back is simple. If I were hunting with a crossbow I would have fears of getting it back in a pinch. There are several situations where Im calling and a bull comes in silent and I have to quickly unquiver, load and draw. Usually cant getter done in time, which would make crossbow impossible to hunt with and quite burdensome in my opinion. Now if i were hunting water holes only, I could setup and range all yardages and probably have a better chance of scoring with a crossbow.

My 2 cents

Shedcrazy

I just finished sighting-in my new Horton 200lb. crossbow this past weekend. I was extremely impressed with the speed, power, and accuracy of this x-bow.
I will be letting the air out of several whitetails this season.
Longbow, compound, or crossbow it's still about "sticks & strings".

long bow compounds it is about stick and string

crossgun it is about ****, lock, let the crossgun hold forever
sight down threw the sight release the safety and then pull the trigger.

Unless you are honestly handicapped keep you your crossguns
and the ATA the hell out of Utah.

Crossguns will be the end of the archery privlidges
we now have

WW,
What a narrow minded, ill-educated remark!! CrossBOWS have been around longer then firearms and I seriously doubt that they, in and of themselves, will lead to the demise of archery. x(

WW,
I read the PBS take on crossbow use and seasons w/ great interest. However, I did find it abit "slanted" to say the least.
I find it VERY hard to believe that a novice crossbow shooter can outshoot experienced, compound shooters equiped w/ the latest equipment. NO WAY!!! On equal terrain, upright, and off-hand, I'd put my money on an experienced compound shooter over a crossbow shooter anytime. Compound bows are very forgiving and lend themselves to excellent accuracy. I think the PBS has a severe case of "crossbowphobia".
Ohio statistics merely reflect that the crossbow is an effective deer mgt. tool. I haven't heard of any uproar in Ohio about crossbows. Quite the contrary, more and more states are enacting crossbow legislation and recognizing it's popularity and usefulness as a weapon of choice.
Due to medical problems I've been using a crossbow in excess of 9 yrs. and I have to practice regularly and hunt just as hard as I did for the 45 years that I used a recurve or compound!!
How come hunters are always taking "pot-shots" at each others choosen hunt methods? The rifle hunters gripe about the bowhunters and muzzleloader hunters. The bowhunters complain about the muzzleloader hunters and now let's find fault with the crossbow hunters!!
If we all don't stop this petty in-fighting, the only ones who will benefit are the ANTI-HUNTERS !!!
Let's just HUNT, that's what were about, right??? :D

Rub I agree with you about hunters bickering amen
we need to remember that we are in the west not in the east where
deer are so numerous in area's that they are considered pest's.

Look at Utah for example and what has happened in the last few years we have gone from basically unlimited tags to a cap of 97,000 to help the herds out, Bowhunting has been promoted in a huge way with several " bones " thrown our way why because our success rates are so low.

The studies that PBS sites are real and factual data that crossguns are more effective at taking game than other hand drawn archery equipment. If you up harvest percentage something will give. I am not looking forward to a 5 day season I would rather be able to hunt for three and a half month's as it is now

The ATA ( archery trade association ) has pretty much bought and paid for the director of the NBEF which writes bowhunter education training through the IBEP. In the past the NBEF/IBEP had no opinion on crossguns but with the new director came new sponsorship and money from the ATA and guess what next week I get to pick up my new instructor manuals with probably a section on crossguns.

I have absolutely not a problem with someone in your position
who can't hunt with a conventional hand drawn and hand supported
bow using a crossgun, but when crossgun's become mainstream as it appears is likely we as bowhunters will say goodbye to several advantages we now enjoy as success rates climb.
The deer herds in the west cant support the same harvest percentages as those in the east.

Divide and conquer.

How about this; I shoot a long-bow and I start a drive to outlaw compounds because they are more effective? How stupid would that be? How about all gun hunters fight to outlaw all forms of archery because of the losses of wounded game?
You know, the anti's love this bickering and some of you are allowing yourself to be used as pawns by them. Bowhunters, as a group are the biggest threat against all forms of hunting. I was in the sporting goods business for a number of years and heard bowhunters downgrade gun hunters claiming they were not sportsmen. At least one club petitioned to close some areas to all but bow hunting. A few years ago I was putting a stalk on a pronghorn during rifle season. Archery deer was open at the same time. Two guys in a pick-up pulled off road and sped towards the buck I was stalking then yelled derogatory remarks against gun hunters after the buck ran off. They were wearing camo and had a bow in a gun rack on the rear window. If bowhunters get their way and lose the support of crossbow hunters, then gun hunters, who will be left to support them? If you want to help the anti's outlaw all forms of hunting, keep this division between ourselves and we'll self destruct.

Hey WW,
I understand where your coming from and it's true, we easterners do have much larger game populations per sq. mile then you guys do.
But I can't help but wonder just how much detriment elk and mule deer hunting w/ a crossbow would create. A crossbow is not as easy to deal w/ for "spot and stalk" hunting. In addition, I don't see the overwhelming accuracy advantage you claim the crossbow has, and I use one!!!!
I understand your motivation regarding your game herds and the pressure on them, but, I would think the threat posed by USO and their litigation proceedings would be more of a concern then crossbows!!
Anyway, I think we can just agree to disagree, as it's apparent that we're at different ends of the issue.
I hope we both have a successful season coming up !!!! :7

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom