Crossbow???

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
Look like I stand a good chance of drawing a wyoming Elk tag. I archery hunted for years. I stopped about five years ago ...back pain issues made worse when practicing and just started only Muzzy-Rifle. Sounds like the archery hunt is the best in this unit and sure wanted to get boots on the ground...and if legal as it is in Wyoming gonna go crossbow. Good chance this will be the only time I need a cross bow and hitting up craigslist. The prices and features are all over the place... I see one that shoots 390 fps but is cheap...shoots hard but not accurate??? Others ath have cocking cranks built in....Parkers are more expensive...Barnett lower end what are some of the basics I need to be thinking about when looking???? Thanks...

A couple years ago, I was in the market for a Xbow. I was shooting my FIL's to see how I liked it. It was around Christmas and he said "I don't bow hunt anymore, and you've been good to my little girl, so Merry Christmas." WOW! Anyway, it was a Parker, and the price was right!

So, here's a few comments. Parker is out of business. Parker bolts have a slightly different nock, which is required for the anti-dry fire mechanism. I bought a bunch. Not sure if aftermarket nocks are available. I've been very pleased with the Parker, but just something to keep in mind.

I've shot rope cocks and those with the crank. The rope requires you to keep the rope handy, and pull it back, like a like a seated row. So if you've had back pain, that's something to consider.

The crank is slow and noisy. There may be quieter ones out now, but the ones I've seen were loud. Think slow paced ratcheting click-click-click. Then again, by the time you fumble around and get the rope, the crank may be faster.

In general, x-bows are a lot louder at the shot than compounds. I've gotten second shots with the bow. Don't think that would happen with an x-bow.

I think some have de-cocking mechanisms that allow de-cocking without shooting. Mine doesn't have that. I don't kike holding the rope back with one hand and pulling the trigger while it is pointed at my foot. Granted it's unloaded, but it looks too easy to have the rope slip.

If you don't get one with a de-cocking mechanism, go ahead and buy one of those de-cocking bolts with the rubber head. I thought 20 bucks was a bit much. Until I "unloaded" mine by shooting it into the ground from a tree stand. TAfter breaking two $7 bolts that are off the market, 20 bucks seems like a good deal!

Practicing with my x-bow is a lot different than my compound. I shoot Muzzys in both. Muzzy makes a practice BH for compounds, so I practice with those. When I'm ready to hunt, swap to the sharp blades and I'm dialed in. Muzzy doesn't make a practice blades for x-bow bolts. So I shot field points for practice and dialing in the scope. Switched to BH's and had to start all over. So I have a set of dull-bladed BH's, and a set of sharp ones for hunting.

The buck in my post ID pic was taken with my x-bow, which you can see in the pic.

Longer than expected but hope that helps. Oh, you can be proficient with a x-bow much quicker and with much less practice than a compound.

Joe shows what I know...how long can you keep you x-bow fully cocked.....what kind of range are you getting out of you x-bow???

I've never considered leaving mine fully cocked. Not saying it can't be done, just never considered it. I'm usually bowhunting from a tree stand. I'd be uncomfortable lowering it cocked, even if there is no bolt in it and the safety is on.

Range? I practice out to 50. It would probably shoot farther. But as loud as it is, and with the whitetail's propensity to jump the string, I limit my hunting shots to 35 yards. For 350 fps, 35 is about right. If you go up to 400 fps, you can shoot out to about 42 yards before jumping the string becomes an issue.

Don't know how open county muleys would respond to the noise.

Forgot to mention, for practicing, don't aim at the same spot. it's much too easy to Robin Hood those bolts!

I have a Mission X Bow that I got for late season whitetail hunting while I live in the east . More than anything...it was simply a new toy. They are fun to shoot and mine is very accurate. They are loud and cumbersome to carry. If you are in a tree stand. They are great. If you are running and chasing bugles...not so much. I think off hand shots would be very difficult JMO

I have a friend who have a ravin and he likes it a lot. I have the Mission Sub 1XR. Got a great deal on it and really like shooting it. There are a lot of great options for crossbows

The ten point turbo GT has good reviews
Tac driver at 20-30 yards 3" groups at 60 yds
Accu draw crank
I bought one last yr for my wyo elk hunt then a tore up my ankle and never got to use it
Deadly on turkey

Look like I stand a good chance of drawing a wyoming Elk tag. I archery hunted for years. I stopped about five years ago ...back pain issues made worse when practicing and just started only Muzzy-Rifle. Sounds like the archery hunt is the best in this unit and sure wanted to get boots on the ground...and if legal as it is in Wyoming gonna go crossbow. Good chance this will be the only time I need a cross bow and hitting up craigslist. The prices and features are all over the place... I see one that shoots 390 fps but is cheap...shoots hard but not accurate??? Others ath have cocking cranks built in....Parkers are more expensive...Barnett lower end what are some of the basics I need to be thinking about when looking???? Thanks...

Are you in Utah? I have a Tenpoint Stealth NXT. I have never hunted with it, but will be sooner than later. If you are not too far away I would consider loaning it to you for your hunt. It is easy to **** as it has a built in crank. Perhaps you could let me hold some collateral so I know I will get it back. I have no issue doing this if you are interested.

I also have a cheaper by far X-bow that seems to shoot fine. I may just give it to you for like $100. I think I paid about $350 for it, not counting arrows and accessories. It is much harder to ****, my back wants no part of it.

I always thought it would be a huge advantage to be able to use an X-bow. I was wrong, I would far rather have my bow. It is more accurate and faster to shoot a follow up shot if necessary, and a heck of a lot easier to lug around all day. The X-bow gained me nothing over my bow...quite the opposite.

As a gun dealer I'm constantly looking at what my suppliers have available. Blew me away when I saw some of those crossbows that cost over 2 grand. Sure a lot of options nowadays. My interest is piqued, and eventually Ill pick one up. Nice to be reading some reviews on brands that are nice.

Modern crossbows are pretty amazing! You likely won't be able to hand pull a 400+ crossbow without some sort of cranking device. The newer cranks are noiseless and you can also decock without much problem. Be ready to spend some cash if you want to go with the best crossbow and bolts. I'm pretty sure each bolt with broadhead is around $7.00 each!

I would seriously consider looking at Excalibur. I have a 440 Bulldog that shoots impressive groups at 100 yards. I could likely shoot further but there's a lot that can happen. It's impossible to pull a bolt out of a bail of hay with a 440 lb crossbow. They disappear into the bail and are impossible to pull out. I bought a special target designed for crossbows that the bolt can be pulled out with a couple fingers. There is night and day difference between shooting the best compound and the best crossbows. To me it was definitely worth it to pay a little more for the best crossbow available. The nice thing about Exaliburs is that they are simple recurve limbs and potentially will have a lot fewer problems than crossbows with cables. Believe me, Excalibur crossbows are super dependable!

I bought mine at this website: https://www.wyverncreations.com/excalibur-crossbows-c-70/

You can save a bunch of $ with a package with arrows, scope, etc. The Hawke XB30 scope is awesome! Once you have it sighted in you are right on the money from 20 to 100 yards!

Send me a PM if you have any additional questions.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom