Current weather question unit 55

ToddT

I finally used 13 points to draw a 3rd season mule deer tag.

I have a few other obligations this fall, so I was thinking about arriving Monday the 4th, and hunting the last 6 days to catch what normally should be the best 6 days of the 3rd season.

But with the cold weather, and snow coming in to the higher elevations, I was thinking about being there for the opener.

Can anyone provide advice, or firsthand knowledge of what is going on in that area?

I don't want to get too specific with where I plan to hunt, though I don't think it is any big secret.

Anyway, any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated for this, basically, once in a lifetime hunt.

You know the answer. Weather usually equals a better than average chance. Not always. But if you can pick having weather or not. It always help. Be there for the opener. I sure will be.

But Im in 44

Can you only hunt 6 days? If so, then the last 6 is still likely better than the first 6 because of the rutting activity.

If only 6 days available
, any chance you could do the opener and then the last 5? I am sure you will get the, if you burned 13 points you better hunt every day response soon.

Also, I have spoke to a few guys that have hunted this unit, and season, in the past couple of years, both guided, and DIY, and for the guys I spoke with, the most common method of hunting this area and season, was to ride from point to point, or, area to area, and glass, for most of the day.

This isn't my preferred style of hunting, but I can fully understand that it would be productive, covering, more areas, more efficiently.

But another question is, is this the way that most hunt? Or would I be better off doing some hiking? With the cold temperatures - I sweat like a horse - I was planning to do both.

I am not firmly confined to 6 days, it is just that I have another tag,and I leased some property, all of which has the best hunting, in the first couple weeks of November.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-19 AT 08:24AM (MST)[p]Snowing this morning with about 4" in town. Supposed to snow for the next 3 days. Temps are supposed to drop below zero. This is early to get this much snow and cold. Should get the animals moving lower.

I agree with the strategy to keep moving and glassing. Get to a point where you can see a lot of country and get there before sun up. Spot and stalk from there.

Sounds like you have a tough decision to make! Haven't had weather like this in quite a few years, might want to go for it from the beginning and hunt until you find a shooter, but I still think if you only wanted to put in 6 days then I would go the end and hope the rut brings a big buck down low looking for does. If you can find an area where does are congregating and you need to hike into it, then by all means that would be a great option, but if not then moving and glassing is the key. Typically where the does are at the end of 3rd doesn't have a lot of wilderness type areas, but even short to half-mile hikes could put in you in better glassing locations that you can't see from a road.

how much snow is accumulating in the 9500-10500 levels? How much snow will a old buck live in and put up with over being lower with more people?

Best I can gather, there is about 4 inches and still falling in Gunnison, which I think, is about 8500 feet.

I think around 10, is going to end up with about 8.

As far as how much it takes to move them, I don't have a clue.

ToddT
I have the 551 fourth season but I am also going to be there during the third.
Is that your unit?
Send me a PM if you like.
Thanks

>Best I can gather, there is
>about 4 inches and still
>falling in Gunnison, which I
>think, is about 8500 feet.
>
>
>I think around 10, is going
>to end up with about
>8.
>
>As far as how much it
>takes to move them, I
>don't have a clue.

7703 elevation in sunny Gunny.
Current snow depth map:
nsm_depth_current_Central_Rockies.jpg

Well I will be hunting the 3rd season north of Grand Junction and looking at the forecast looks like another season of no storms or snow.

How did your hunt go? What hunt style was best - drive & glass or hike? Did you see good bucks? I think I'm going to put in for this unit, 3rd season in 2021. I will have 16 NR points. I have hunted other units in CO but never the Gunnison area. I'm trying to start learning info now and I will scout it a few days in 2020 between the 2nd & 3rd season. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I can share my knowledge of CO as well if you need. Thanks

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom