Custom Build

bragabit

Custom Build

Starting a new build and need to decide on a couple things. I have a Remington 700 LA. Caliber will be 6.5-06. Gun will be on the lighter side, but not ultralight. What is your preference between HS precision, and B&C Alaskan 11? Leaning B&C because of $100 cheaper and 9 oz lighter. I also want a detachable magazine. Leaning HS-Precision, considering Wyatt because of price. I don't like the Wyatt as much because the mags are single stack and stick out the bottom more that I would like. Any better options out there?

RE: Custom Build

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-14 AT 05:07PM (MST)[p]6.5-06 or 6.5-06 Ackley Imp? Being you would need to reload for either cartridge, I'd much rather have the additional 100-200 FPS of the IMP version.

I don't remember why but my gunsmith talked me out of going 6.5-06 years ago and into a .280 Ack IMP barrel instead. At the time, i bought in to his reasons.

I too would shy away from any magazine that stuck out any below the lines of the stock.

Food for thought: Paying $100. or so more now for something that you would like to have certainly would be cheaper than later changing out for what you originally wanted

Good luck with your build!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Brag

Go with the BC stock or step up to a McMillan or Manner's. The hs is IMO to bulky but that's just preference.

Hs bottom metal is nice and much more compact than the Wyatt's or others like it.

Ever consider a 6.5-280ai? Neck down Nosler 280ai brass and no fireforming required.

Thanks for the advice. I have never thought about AI much. CA hunter, What would you use to neck down the 280AI to 6.5? I understand you have to fire form brass to AI, but not much knowledge when it comes to reloading. On 6.5-06AI do you use standard 6.5-06 dies? I can't find 6.5-06AI dies

You will have to get the 6.5-06AI dies. Once your dies are set to the right length you just resize the 280AI brass, measure, and trim if needed. Its pretty simple. I will be building the 6.5-06AI on my next build. I think that would be a screamer!

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Yeah, Cahunter makes a good point. Both the 6.5x280AI and the 6.5X06 Ack IMP are the same cartridge, end up being the same, just that instead of starting with a 06, 270 Win, or 280 Rem case, you buy already made 280AI cases and neck those down to 6.5 or .264 to simplify and without any fire forming needed.

BTW, fire forming is generally pretty easy. For my 280AI, i just shot regular old 280 Remington factory ammo thru my 280AI barrel and those cases were then fire formed.

Regardless, you are going to need to reload. The 6.5 imp would be a Dandy Muley, antelope, sheep rifle that not everybody has but then this is about what you want, not what we think you need to get. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-14 AT 12:14PM (MST)[p]Brag

Another option is the 26 Nosler!! You can get factory loaded ammo or load your own. Fits in a standard LA and is laser fast.

I thought about the 26 Nosler for awhile. Decided against it, mostly because of the availability, and cost of brass. I will reload all of my own bullets. Would a 24 inch barrel limit the 26 Nosler, or 6.5-06AI?

26 Nosler I believe would burn a barrel up pretty quick.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I have no advise to offer on your stock or magazine questions.
But having loaded for a 6.5/06 in the past I would suggest if you get that chamber to buy 25/06 brass and neck it up to 6.5 rather than necking down 30/06 brass.

I have a couple 6.5-280AI Just neck the brass down and go. I did order a full length die to match and then it was cheaper to order a 6.5-06 redding comp set and have the reamer run into the sleeve to adjust to the 6.5-280 ai
Been happy with them.

Brag- I understand about the brass. Another option would to be a 6.5-284. Lapua brass and plenty of OAL in a long action.

What bullet do you intend on shooting?

Lots of good options. I read on another site that some shooting the 26 Nosler were only getting 200 rounds out of a barrel. I knew barrel life was relativley short, but I thought 600 rounds short. I would like to shoot 130 grain Sciroccos or 129 LR Accubond . My boy has a Savage long range hunter in 6.5-284. It is fun to shoot. With the brake on you can watch the impact in the scope. I do have all the components to reload for the 6.5-284. I get good accuracy out of it with 130gr Accubonds at 3075 fps. For those who have a 6.5-06AI, or 6.5-280AI could I expect to get 3300fps with 130 grain bullet out of a 24 inch barrel?

"...6.5-06AI, or 6.5-280AI,..."

Again, along with the 6.5X25-06AI, 264X270AI, and others, they are the all the exact same cartridge, just getting there is different.

I get 3250 FPS with 140 Accubonds from my 280AI. The 280 Rem has been touted by Mr PO Ackley himself as being one of the best, if not the best, cartridges to Improve for velocity gain over the standard cartridge but the 6.5 version would be right up there as a great candidate also.

I would build one with a 24" barrel. My 280AI has a 25" tube but i don't believe it's needed.

Joey

You will get the 3200. I really have not pushed either. Both I got close to hunting season and quickly had a load that shot real good for my intended use.The first I was going to go back and do more work, re shot the original load, shot a 5 shot just over .5" at 200 and said why screw with it. The second the smith actually botched the barrel and didn't tell me tell after a Mt goat hunt that was happening days after getting the gun. Did quick load work got good accuracy(kept getting a flyer here and there) took it killed a goat and a good whitetail. He then told me he didn't want it in my head for the hunt and he would be replacing the barrel and the flyers were probably not me. So I have not done more work with that one. The second still dings my steel at 600 with great consistence

I still need a little reloading help. I ordered 100 280AI brass from Nosler Shooter Pro Shop. CH4D has 6.5-06AI 40degree shoulder FL, Neck sizer, seater dies. Would I need anything else to resize these brass to 6.5?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom