Custom turrets

Soccerdude

Looking at getting custom turrets to make dialing a little faster etc. Looking at getting them for 7000 ft and 30 degrees. Both are common middle ground for my hunting. How big of difference if it's 9000 ft and 15 degrees? Any one have experience or input before I pull the trigger.

How far do you plan on shooting? What scope? The 2000’ elevation and temp change with most average hunting cartridges and say 400-500 yards is usually only an inch or 2 change.
That said custom turrets are only as good as the data you supply. I’d much rather just have an MOA/MIL turret and dial my drops.

I use yardage Turrets set for 7000’ and 40 Deg., myself. I have no problem making precise killing shots from 5k-10k or so, personally. I don’t shoot at game past 700 yards or so, however, and from what I’ve seen that’s about the distance where all of the factors become much more critical.

If you’re shooting much beyond 700, I would definitely go MOA/Mil, with a ballistic solution that takes into account all of the variables, along with a fair amount of formal training, to be able to confidently execute. Just my .02

I use yardage Turrets set for 7000’ and 40 Deg., myself. I have no problem making precise killing shots from 5k-10k or so, personally. I don’t shoot at game past 700 yards or so, however, and from what I’ve seen that’s about the distance where all of the factors become much more critical.

If you’re shooting much beyond 700, I would definitely go MOA/Mil, with a ballistic solution that takes into account all of the variables, along with a fair amount of formal training, to be able to confidently execute. Just my .02
I have the ability to dial now. Shot steel at 1000. Farthest kill is 400. I would be comfortable to 600-700 yards. Looking to speed up the process of getting the dial. Right now I range, look at chart on gun stock, dial, find target, shoot. I like the idea of range and dial without double checking chart. Appreciate the feedback gentlemen. Just picked up a razor LHT to go on a 6.5 prc. Should be a great set up.

I like the idea of range and dial without double checking chart.
You might want to look into some of the newer range finders with ballistics built in. I have one of the Sig models that comes with the full Applied Ballistics software installed. It has sensors to measure and calculate environmental data into your drop data (pressure, humidity, temperature).

Once everything is configured, just range your target and in the viewfinder, you will see your MIL/MOA adjustments and any windage corrections. No more range cards or messing with your cell phone although I would still print the cards as backup :). Just range. Dial. Shoot

If you REALLY want to go all out and ensure everything is measured as accurately as possible, get a kestrel and pair it up with the range finder.

I use custom labels for my Huskemaw with dual solutions printed. My primary markings for 8K / 30f is larger bold print for quick adjustments. The secondary markings for lower/ warmer is smaller finer print but it's there when needed.
These labels are durable but easy to change when needed and have served me well for a number of years.

I have the ability to dial now. Shot steel at 1000. Farthest kill is 400. I would be comfortable to 600-700 yards. Looking to speed up the process of getting the dial. Right now I range, look at chart on gun stock, dial, find target, shoot. I like the idea of range and dial without double checking chart. Appreciate the feedback gentlemen. Just picked up a razor LHT to go on a 6.5 prc. Should be a great set up.
At 600-700 yards you will have plenty of time to look at your chart and then dial.
If going with a custom turret be sure to verify your rifles actual drops out to 1000 and supply that verified data.
Is this rifle shooting factory ammo or handloads?

At 600-700 yards you will have plenty of time to look at your chart and then dial.
If going with a custom turret be sure to verify your rifles actual drops out to 1000 and supply that verified data.
Is this rifle shooting factory ammo or handloads?
I am shooting factory ammo.

You might want to look into some of the newer range finders with ballistics built in. I have one of the Sig models that comes with the full Applied Ballistics software installed. It has sensors to measure and calculate environmental data into your drop data (pressure, humidity, temperature).

Once everything is configured, just range your target and in the viewfinder, you will see your MIL/MOA adjustments and any windage corrections. No more range cards or messing with your cell phone although I would still print the cards as backup :). Just range. Dial. Shoot

If you REALLY want to go all out and ensure everything is measured as accurately as possible, get a kestrel and pair it up with the range finder.
I own rangefinders as well as RF Binos that are capable of all of this. The reason I don’t go this route (Surely the absolute most accurate solution) is my slight paranoia that if this piece of equipment fails during a hunt, I’m greatly handicapped. If I’m using ballistic turrets, the worst thing that can happen is I use my backup rangefinder, or absolute worst, I go to Walmart and buy a RF, and I’m back in business.

I am shooting factory ammo.
Do you have a few cases of it? Factory ammo can have some pretty big velocity swings from lot to lot. Personally I’d feel more comfortable with a regular dial in case I needed to make adjustments if the factory ammo is faster or slower or if you needed to change ammo due to availability.
Like mention above you can get a custom dial tape that you just wrap around your factory turret also.

I own rangefinders as well as RF Binos that are capable of all of this. The reason I don’t go this route (Surely the absolute most accurate solution) is my slight paranoia that if this piece of equipment fails during a hunt, I’m greatly handicapped. If I’m using ballistic turrets, the worst thing that can happen is I use my backup rangefinder, or absolute worst, I go to Walmart and buy a RF, and I’m back in business.
Understood and agreed. Just throwing out the option in the event OP wanted to explore that. It's also why I recommended printing the range cards as backup in case most of the fancy gear malfunctions in the field.

Just last year, I started practicing range estimation using the MOA marks on my scope. Your paranoia is mine as well :)

I use custom labels for my Huskemaw with dual solutions printed. My primary markings for 8K / 30f is larger bold print for quick adjustments. The secondary markings for lower/ warmer is smaller finer print but it's there when needed.
These labels are durable but easy to change when needed and have served me well for a number of years.
Are you making your own labels or is there a place that you order them from? Thanks

My labels are from Custom Turret Systems. I have been very happy with their product and customer service. Use their online builder to input your data and your product fast.
I also like the windage label that is included, again based on the data that you input.
I put mine on top of the objective bell where its quick and easy to take a peak.
A great system for my needs.

My labels are from Custom Turret Systems. I have been very happy with their product and customer service. Use their online builder to input your data and your product fast.
I also like the windage label that is included, again based on the data that you input.
I put mine on top of the objective bell where its quick and easy to take a peak.
A great system for my needs.
I’m assuming you entered your smaller print for different elevation and temp in the boxes provided? I use StrelokPro on my phone.

Yes, it's been several years since I have ordered as I haven't changed my loads, but I know it was all fill in the boxes. My secondary runs around the top 1/3 with the larger primary running around the lower 2/3 of the label. The width of the label is based on your scope turret. My Huskemaw is a pretty wide one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom