CVA Accura LR inaccuracy at 200 yards

nvguy2

Bought a Accura LR this year and have put over 70 rounds through it. Sighted at 100 yards open sights first then put scope on for my Utah Antelope hunt and sighted scope the same as open sights at 100. Then I figured I’d shoot with scope further out and then take scope off for son’s NV Bull tag and know my patterns. Using max charge of 150 grains in pyrodex pellets. 250 grain Hornady SST sabot bullet. Hitting 4”-5” high at 100 yards. Same at 150 yards, but 200 yards I can’t seem to get a decent pattern and I’m getting frustrated. Not sure I have time to switch bullets. Mostly shooting out of lead sled. Ditched the sled yesterday trying something different with poor results still. I even started cleaning between every shot. Starting to wonder if this gun doesn’t like either the bullet or the charge or both. May have to just stick with 150 yards being my cutoff but sure thought this new CVA with a scope would stretch out a bit further. Scope is not loose either. I’ve checked it. It’s a Vortex Copperhead 4-12x. Any input or suggestions appreciated!

Go to a 300gr SST and a Harvester crush rib sabot. The red sabots that come with the SST's are junk, especially with 3 pellets. Also the heavier bullet will carry farther.
This is the exact combo I'm using in my new CVA Accura PR and I'm shooting 5" groups at 300yds.

Last edited:
Elkantlers, I’ll look into that. I killed a bull in Nevada with the 300 grain SST. Mevertsen, I really think 150 grain is overkill for my Antelope but worried that 100 might not be enough for my son’s Bull hunt but have been thinking exactly what you stated. Maybe 150 grains of powder is overkill and not the right combo for my gun. Thank you both for the replies!??

I agree with dropping powder charge down, I'm shooting 120 gr by volume of bh209 and its shooting great groups out to 300 yards.

I tried 150gr pyro pellets once, just to see what would happen and had erratic results. It could be the max charge that's causing it. Maybe pick up some 30gr pellets, that way you can mix and match 30’s with 50‘s to get into 10 grain increments and play with it until you find the sweet spot.

I don't remember all the specifics but I have killed several critters with a muzzle loader.

From my memory...

1 cow elk and 370 maxi ball and 70 or 80 grains powder.
2 cow elk with a 385 great Plains and 80 or 90 or so grains.
2 or 3 bucks with 80 or 90 grains and a 250 grain XTP in a Harvester Crush rib sabot.
1 buck with a 200 grain all lead pistol bullet in a Harvester crush rib.
All I have used over my years (20 with a muzzle loader) is Pyrodex and Goex. This is in a CVA Bobcat (bought in 2000 or 01) side lock and a Traditions Pursuit (2008 model or so).

These new muzzle loaders and the Blackhorn powder are impressive stuff.

But there are still limitations. My farthest shot was my last buck at 155 yards. A couple at less than 50. My elk from 75 to 100.

Unlikely a person would go buy a 338 RUM for a single elk tag when he has a 30-06 in the cabinet.

Good luck on the hunt!

I agree with the consensus, drop the powder charge. I use 95 gr of BH 209 for my elk and a 350 gr bullet. BH is about 15% stronger than pyrodex so I am about 105 gr powder equivalent. A guy who knows a lot more than me says use 100 gr of blackpowder equivalent and a 300 gr bullet for anything on North America except big bears.

i have the same accura v2 lr with the bergarra and i shoot 150 of the white hot pellet's and the Barnes spit fire T ez 290 gr and the crush rib sabots in black . The gun throws darts to 300 very impressed with how it shoots. I will say this the sabots make all the difference in the world from loading to grouping

I agree with the consensus, drop the powder charge. I use 95 gr of BH 209 for my elk and a 350 gr bullet. BH is about 15% stronger than pyrodex so I am about 105 gr powder equivalent. A guy who knows a lot more than me says use 100 gr of blackpowder equivalent and a 300 gr bullet for anything on North America except big bears.
This here has worked for me on my elk

Agree with the above recommendations to move to Blackhorn 209 powder and try charges of 90, 95, and 100 grains by volume.
I would also highly recommend trying the Hornady XTP 300 grain .45 Caliber bullet with a slick harvester black sabot.

I used to shoot SST's and not only were they not very accurate, their performance (especially on elk) is not great. The Hornady XTP crushes stuff (dropped my elk last year in his tracks).

BH209 is your friend and also your enemy when you can’t find it…
My good friend has the same muzzleloader and it’s a shooter with 250gr. Barnes TMZ backed by BH209…

BH209 is your friend and also your enemy when you can’t find it…
My good friend has the same muzzleloader and it’s a shooter with 250gr. Barnes TMZ backed by BH209…
Shooting pretty much the same load, same bullet and powder. 90 gr. Blackthorn. 3 of 4 cow elk with know problems. The one problem was shooting the same charge with power belt aerolite 300 gr. Crappy expansion and penetration. Powder down a bit. If you can’t find bh209, get the 777 loose powder. Seems to work in my other muzzy pretty good.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom