CVA Optima V2 Load?

muleytail

I'm new to muzzleloaders and looking for advice. I'm shooting a CVA Optima V2 with the Konus 3-9 scope. I have shot it a bunch and am struggling to get any consistency, I'm shooting 100 grains of Hodgdon triple seven pellets, with a 245 grain powerbelt .50 Cal. Do I need to shoot better pellets? or possibly bump up to 150 grains? I thought I was finally dialed in, and then my next two shots were all over the place. After adjusting again I still couldn't get any consistency. Any advice on powder upgrades if that could be the issue? or what does everyone think?

Have never used the pellets because I like to try lots of different combinations and you can't do that with pellets. When I did use 777, I used the powder. I would start at 90 grains, shoot 3 times, then 95, shoot 3 times, then 100 grains, 105 gr, 110. Should be able to find your rifles sweet spot in that range. Shouldn't have to go beyond 110 grains of powder. I would NOT recommend going to 150 unless you like to spend money and have a sore shoulder.

Be sure that you barrel has time to cool down. Just like a centerfire rifle, the shots will start going wild if the barrel is too hot.

110 grains of Blackhorn and a Barnes 250 TEZ with a harvester black sabot. (not the ribbed one). For my optima, its as good as I can get it.
20200921_193233.jpg

Yes Txhunter58. Very true. If he has to shoot conicals I would recommend the 300 grain THORS. They shoot very similar to the TEZ in my optima.

I have an optima v2 100 gr volume blackhorn
250gr Thor what I did was swab with windex patches after every shot Find out what it does clean first then play with a dirty barrel

With p belts I would do the same clean every shot
And I just re read your post if you have a scope you must not be hunting Colorado my best luck was a swab after every shot while sighting in sabots are probably your best bet if they are legal where you hunt

Get yourself a whole new optic set up. New mounts, rings, and scope that can withstand the recoil energy of a MZ. I use Leupold mounts and rings over a Nikon 4-12 BDC. I shoot 100gr pellet 777 and either a 295gr Powerbelt or Federal BOR Loks. Swab between shots and after a set of 3 completely clean the barrel. This was my final Range day before last years 16 trip out of my Optima V2

86595751-CBBF-43DB-AD6F-DDF96A5AFBBA.jpeg

I have had cva accura v2 for 3 yrs. Last two I have shot the federal bor loc 350 gr lead bullet with 100 gr bhorn 209 powder w cci primer.

I ran your same set up for about 5 years. I shot 1in groups at 100, and about 2.5 to 3in at 200. I cleaned every 3rd shot every time. Cleaning became easier and grouping more consistent

100 grains by volume (70 by weight) of Blackhorn 209 powder with 300 grain Hornady XTP Mag in black harvester sabot.

I bought a cva optima v2 based on the recommendations here. I tried to order a buy bh 209 breech plug from midway, but they shipped the wrong one and I was already running out of time. So I went to my nearest sporting goods store (2 hours away) and had the choice of IMR white hots, or nothing. So of course that's what I bought. I already had low drag sst sabots my wife and kids bought be. Well....this gun loves two white hot pellets. Shoots 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards and is a joy to shoot. It is super dirty though and makes me wish I was running bh 209 at times, but I don't think I'd switch. The gun shoots better than I do. My 7 year old and I were able to harvest a muley on our first ever muzzy hunt. 127 yards and it died immediately.

20200913_085309.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom