CVA paramount vs CVA accura v2 lrh

deerkiller

Very Active Member
I don't have a ton of knowledge on muzzleloaders so I figured I'd ask here where someone might know the answer. So my brother in law has a paramount and it's an awesome gun. Shoots way flatter, faster and accurate than my .50 does. Which got me thinking, could I get the same ballistics as a paramount, if I got a .45 cal accura v2 lrh and shot the new powebelts designed specifically for the paramount? Or is there something I'm missing here? I understand the accuracy will probably be a little different due to the free floating barrel design of the paramount. But could I in theory get the same speeds and flat shooting trajectory from an accura as I could a paramount?

Reason I ask is with my brother in laws gun, to shoot 285 yards he's only dialing up 7 something MOA on his scope and I'm 12.25 on mine and it only gets way worse from there. To the point where if I was shooting 560 yards, I'm double the MOA adjustments that his is.

Just curious is all. Thanks for any replies

@screaminseagull

>cant u just get closer to
>the game u are hunting?
>Holy s*** its a muzzleloader....
>

Of course I can, I've shot animals from 6? to 305 yards. I want a flatter, faster shooting gun.

And if I want to shoot 500 yards, that's none of your business, just mine.

If I'm spending $1000 on a gun, it's going to be one I use more than once a year.

@screaminseagull

>>cant u just get closer to
>>the game u are hunting?
>>Holy s*** its a muzzleloader....
>>
>
>Of course I can, I've shot
>animals from 6? to 305
>yards. I want a flatter,
>faster shooting gun.
>
>And if I want to shoot
>500 yards, that's none of
>your business, just mine.
>
>If I'm spending $1000 on a
>gun, it's going to be
>one I use more than
>once a year.
>
>@screaminseagull

You made it other people's business by asking on a forum. You want a faster shooting muzzleloader, go lighter bullet more powder high quality powder that burns hotter and/or cleaner. Shoot as many different bullets as you can to find the one that hits that muzzle velocity and shoot shoot and shoot some more. Because mistakes happen dont let making a long shot to be that guy be the mistake. Let us know what you find

>This is funny. I'm deadly to
>about 100 yards with a
>muzzy. Can't imagine even trying
>500...

Yep, 100 to 115 yards max. And that's if conditions are perfect. I like seeing my range finder say something in the 60s or 70s.

Guys who take long shots always say they can get close to game if they want to.

I doubt it, except in a tree stand over bait.

>I don't have a ton of
>knowledge on muzzleloaders so I
>figured I'd ask here where
>someone might know the answer.
>So my brother in law
>has a paramount and it's
>an awesome gun. Shoots way
>flatter, faster and accurate than
>my .50 does. Which got
>me thinking, could I get
>the same ballistics as a
>paramount, if I got a
>.45 cal accura v2 lrh
>and shot the new powebelts
>designed specifically for the paramount?
>Or is there something I'm
>missing here? I understand the
>accuracy will probably be a
>little different due to the
>free floating barrel design of
>the paramount. But could I
>in theory get the same
>speeds and flat shooting trajectory
>from an accura as I
>could a paramount?
>
>Reason I ask is with my
>brother in laws gun, to
>shoot 285 yards he's only
>dialing up 7 something MOA
>on his scope and I'm
>12.25 on mine and it
>only gets way worse from
>there. To the point where
>if I was shooting 560
>yards, I'm double the MOA
>adjustments that his is.
>
>Just curious is all. Thanks for
>any replies
>
>
>
>
>@screaminseagull

Since I haven't seen a coherent reply to your question. The difference would be the 45 LRH only will allow 12o grains of 209 vs 150 grains in the paramounnt. There would be a difference in velocity. You'd just need to shoot the LRH 45 cal and determine its velocity and then use a ballistics calculator to determine the drop out to 300 yards. You would also need to look at the kenetic energy remaining when the bullet reaches that range. I have both rifles and plan on shooting the paramount out to 800 yards for accuracy and hunt up to 450 yards for deer and 300 for elk. These folks responding must not hunt where you see your animals across big wide canyons where the distance is over 200 yards out here in the West. Like to see them creep up on these animals. Do stalk mule deer but only when the lay of the land allows it. They see you and they are gone.

Excellent strategy Willard. The Paramount would probably be better for longer range shooting based on reviews I've read. I shoot a 50 cal Accura and it shoots about an inch group 1t 100 yards. My max range on game is 250 yards. Based on ballistic calculators my bullet will strike with enough velocity to expand at my max. and if I recall has about 1000 ft-lbs of energy at 250 yards. I have yet to shoot any game at my max range...they've all been closer. To each their own as far as what they determine their maximum range to be. Hopefully whatever you determine your maximum range on game to be, it's based on extensive research, and "field condition like" practice. Personally when I shoot game 200 yards out or so I feel like that's a looong shot for a muzzy. I don't know if I would get the same feeling of satisfaction or pride if I was killing game further with a muzzy. After all the reason I like hunting with a muzzleloader is the fact that I have to get closer...if I wanted to shoot 400-500 yards + I would use a .300 win mag or buy a 6.5 man bun LOL. Again just my .02. Best of luck.

I bought the accura v2lr 45 cal. It has the same barrel and 1-22 twist as the paramount. But its a 30 inch barrel vs the paramount's 26. With the elr 280 grain I am getting 2140 fps with 115 gr of bh209. It has shot very well at 150 and 250. Hopefully I can get a good day to stretch it out further. I'm shooting the bh209 breech plug and dont see a reason yet to switch to a hotter primer.

shaun, try blackhorn 209 and something hotter than a 209 primer. then order some parker bullets. that should do the trick

Im shooting 100 gr by volume of bh209 out of my accura v2 lr 50 caliber and it drops off the world at 300 yards but that's with a big fat 300 gr aerolite powerbelt also. I was also curious about the 45 lrh like Shaun but another question I had was about the primers as the 50 cal and 45 lrh shoot 209 primers and the 45 cal paramount actually shoots a large rifle primer such as a cci br2, is the difference in primers going to make a huge difference between the two? Also has anybody tried to shoot the 45 cal 280 gr elr powerbelt out of their accura v2 LR with a sabot?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom