Cva wolf help.

SageGrouse

Well I drew a muzzleloader deer tag this year, but havent had my own muzzleloader since I was 13. I can borrow one of my uncle's, but my kids and wife are wanting to get me one for father's day of my own. We settled on the Wolf, but I don't even know where to begin with a starting load or today's better bullets. Anyone willing to share a starting load, or which bullets the wolf typically prefers? I will be hunting nevada this year but may hunt utah with it in the future. Thank you for any information.

I am a fairly new to muzzleloader game and I started out with a CVA wolf. I wanted to go cheap for the first rifle. so here is a link (bottom of this post)that is a few threads down the page. it will explain my set-up and the issues I had.

Save $60 and don't get the model that comes with the Konus scope. that caused me nothing but issues.

On loads from what I have learned from these post is every gun shoots different. This link below explains my load. Everyone keeps saying go with blackhorn but I have a reason. I live in Wyoming and the area I live in you can buy zero muzzleloader stuff. But one gun store 30 miles away carries powder pellets. their selection has blown up. I can just about anything I need and now loose powder. So since I have so much powder pellets it will be at least a year or 2 before I make the switch.

I just bought my 11 year old son a cva wolf put a vortex viper 4-12 on it and took him out to shoot it and it shot great out to 200 yards with 80 grains by volume of blackhorn with a 240 gr hornady xtp bullet. I started him with a low recoil load and it shot great so figured we'd stay with it.

ML's of any brand can be fickle regarding powder charge and bullet weight. If you have a friend nearby, borrow some of whatever he shoots as a starting point, and buy a different bullet weight to try. Or, if he's like me, he as an assortment of weights and powders. In my experience, the bullet weight is more important than the powder. My Knight LK-93 won't shoot 240 or 260 gr bullets worth a darn regardless of powder. Put a 300 grain bullet in it and it's pretty consistent.

On the ML, definitely go stainless or nitride over blued. I think most on the market today shoot 209 primers, but definitely go with that over the percussion caps and musket caps.

Thank you guys. That's definitely a starting point I was looking for. I'll send updates of my hunting adventure this year so everyone can enjoy. Its not a premium hunt, but my son's and I are pumped and people need something to read about while waiting for rifle season. Thanks again!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom