Cwd article

nfh

Long Time Member
Well this really grinds my gears. I have a lot of arguments with the biologist. They claim the deer will die within 18 to 24 months when they get cwd. I have asked for the proof how do you know when the deer got cwd, what form of testing do you have to prove this? The answers are comical.

Just so tired of them playing the cwd card. They're going to use the cwd card on the low deer numbers that the article states. As i told the biologist freakin numbers were on the decline before cwd came so nice try. Increased housing equals more traffic and record numbers of people going to yellowstone means more traffic thus more road kill. Also have a lot of lions and the 2016-2017 winter. Deer were on decline before cwd hit the area

Last edited:
Ha. Good call.

“We’ve never known an animal to survive CWD. They all succumb to it,” he told a crowd at the department’s season setting meeting

“It is often difficult to diagnose a deer, elk or moose with CWD based on these symptoms alone because many of CWD symptoms also occur with other diseases and malnutrition. CWD is always fatal,” the agency states in its official report.

In other words: We can't diagnose in a live animal but all of the animals we find dead, died.

Great work Mr. Scientist. Life is always fatal.

What? Come on guys. It is a scientific fact that breathing air is deadly. Every animal that ever died breathed air- sometimes for decades!

Well this really grinds my gears. I have a lot of arguments with the biologist. They claim the deer will die within 18 to 24 months when they get cwd. I have asked for the proof how do you know when the deer got cwd, what form of testing do you have to prove this? The answers are comical.

Just so tired of them playing the cwd card. They're going to use the cwd card on the low deer numbers that the article states. As i told the biologist freakin numbers were on the decline before cwd came so nice try. Increased housing equals more traffic and record numbers of people going to yellowstone means more traffic thus more road kill. Also have a lot of lions and the 2016-2017 winter. Deer were on decline before cwd hit the area

It’s because there has not been a single scientific entity that has been dedicated to researching mule deer like there has been done for whitetail deer like the research center at Mississippi State University and Auburn University and possibly others I’m not aware of. The University of Alberta in Canada did some stuff years ago but I haven’t seen a thing come out of there in decades.

It’s pitiful WHAT WE DON’T KNOW, scientifically, about mule deer. AND BY HELL DONT EVER MAKE THE MISTAKE OF TELLING A WESTERN STATES BIOLOGIST ABOUT A WHITETAIL RESEARCH STUDY WHEN YOUR TALKING ABOUT ISSUES WITH MULE DEER! That goes over like a tard in a punch bowl.

For 40 years I’ve pushed for a University mule deer research department…… for somewhere, anywhere in the Western US. All I’ve every gotten from the Universities and the Legislators is a mule deer in the head-lights look, and a change of subject, like……… where are we going for lunch!

I can not understand why you guys disagree with the below written statement.

“It is often difficult to diagnose a deer, elk or moose with CWD based on these symptoms alone because many of CWD symptoms also occur with other diseases and malnutrition. CWD is always fatal,” the agency states in its official report.”

It’s a know fact that EVERY deer that has or doesn’t have CWD will die. No one or thing makes it out of this life alive. ????

I was told that if a guy goes up the north fork and south fork one can find all these sick deer with CWD. They have my phone number and I wanted to see the sick deer that they find. still waiting on that phone call by the way.

I was told cwd kills more deer than traffic and lions combined in this area.

My gut tells me its all about money. Game and fish gets federal grant money for cwd, money goes to field research near lander/bates hole and improving RT Quic technique and among other studies.

Last edited:
I was told that if a guy goes up the north fork and south fork one can find all these sick deer with CWD. They have my phone number and I wanted to see the sick deer that they find. still waiting on that phone call by the way.

I was told cwd kills more deer than traffic and lions combined in this area.

My gut tells me its all about money. Game and fish gets federal grant money for cwd, money goes to field research near lander/bates hole and improving RT Quic technique and among other studies.
CWD is the best excuse to never severly cut tags or revenue. They can't totally control predation or roadkill they can only control hunter harvest and they should

The fact is every living deer could be killed in an area and cwd prions will still exist in the soil for years and years.

Also, no one knows whether there are resistant alleles to cwd and that 100% of all deer that contract cwd die within 18 months or even years afterwards! Who ever mentioned deaths 18 to 24 month after contracting cwd needs their head examined!

I had a similar conversation with a biologist that told me CWD was 100% fatal and proceeded to tell me every deer they tested was dead...

I can’t recal, don’t we know that some alleles are allowing CWD to live for 5 years after infection?

Here's an interesting article about elk and CWD:

"Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a fatal neurodegenerative disease that can cause declines in deer and elk populations. Theoretical work suggests elk will adapt to the disease by favoring a naturally occurring but underrepresented prion protein variant (leucine allele) that enables individuals to live and reproduce for several years after infection with CWD. Using genetic and disease samples from different populations, we found that elk herds infected with CWD for 30–50 y exhibited leucine allele frequencies that were twice as great as those in unexposed populations."

There are still a lot of unknowns! One thing for sure there has never been a catastrophic die-off mule deer even where CWD prions have been in existence and continue to accumulate in soils for over 40 years.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting article about elk and CWD:

"Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a fatal neurodegenerative disease that can cause declines in deer and elk populations. Theoretical work suggests elk will adapt to the disease by favoring a naturally occurring but underrepresented prion protein variant (leucine allele) that enables individuals to live and reproduce for several years after infection with CWD. Using genetic and disease samples from different populations, we found that elk herds infected with CWD for 30–50 y exhibited leucine allele frequencies that were twice as great as those in unexposed populations."

There are still a lot of unknowns! One thing for sure there has never been a catastrophic die-off mule deer even where CWD prions have been in existence and continue to accumulate in soils for over 40 years.
Awesome thanks for sharing.

This article shows a couple of maps from Colorado where deer and elk share the same ground that show twenty GMU or more where the deer have CWD and the elk don't.

There also a couple of units, 40 and 44 that are surrounded by CWD but they don't have any.

I don't have an explanation for it other than the elk may have some immunity or elk and deer are susceptible to different strains of CWD.

But it's interesting.

This article shows a couple of maps from Colorado where deer and elk share the same ground that show twenty GMU or more where the deer have CWD and the elk don't.

There also a couple of units, 40 and 44 that are surrounded by CWD but they don't have any.

I don't have an explanation for it other than the elk may have some immunity or elk and deer are susceptible to different strains of CWD.

But it's interesting.
That appears to be the case in many areas of Wyoming, deer with high prevalence and in the same areas, elk seem to have much lower prevalence.

In the Laramie Range elk prevalence has stayed around 3-5% for a long, long time while deer it's much higher.

I will try to collect myself and provide some thoughts soon. There's a WHOLE LOT of misinformation and biased information being presented by G&F agencies.

The genetic work (genome) has been done and there are mule deer that do show resistance to CWD. There's a good Nebraska study about that.

I have a lot of info on this but get too upset if I write too much about it. I will post more later.

Thanks to everyone for staying on top of this.

I will try to collect myself and provide some thoughts soon. There's a WHOLE LOT of misinformation and biased information being presented by G&F agencies.
No Sh!t, ICMTRUTH…. I can’t wait until you get your steam back. Sometimes sharing it is lethargic and sometimes it turns you into Jack The Ripper.

Three of the misinformation discussion that have caused me to write sentences without periods are Utah’s misinformation on corn and fish, antler restriction and deer management, bucks can’t have fawns and Texas’ spikes bucks are inferior deer, bullsh!t.

We’ll wait with patience and understanding.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom