CWD BUCK

oldoregon

Very Active Member
today my dad sand i were driving out in the sage brush near saratoga wyoming, we saw a antelope buck out in ta field of stubble about 100 yards away. when i got out of the car to take a picture, he stood up, but fell over, i walked within 5 yards, and he never even moved, he just sat there looking at me. do you think he might have had CWD? his tounde was hanging out, and he was very emaciated. i got a couple pics, i will post the, later.

Later Yall!!!!
mule-deer.gif

OO
Near as the experts know, antelope cannot contract CWD, its limited to deer and elk. Let see the pics though.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-03 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]O-O,,

Buy a dictionary------"tongue". It would help cut down on your beatings if you would at least try to spell correctly.

JB

it helps to slow down, but i like to get things done fast. and BTW i could carees how much i get beat on, i am far more interested in what might be the first ever recorded case of antelope CWD!

Later Yall!!!!
mule-deer.gif

i figured that at first, but he looked starved, and his bones did not appear to be broken at all. his tounge was sticking ouit, and his mouth was covered in black saliva.

Later Yall!!!!
mule-deer.gif

Doesn't look like CWD to me, looks like a bedded down buck antelope. Doesn't look like he stood up in any of the pics, just bedded down in the 1st two pics and just looking at you in the 3rd.

I think OldOregon and Cass were smoking some sagebrush before they went in the hills!

Whats an Oregon boy doing in WY? ;)

E.L.,

Nice to see your still around, home for the holidays? How's college going for you and where at?
Hope that Christmas was good to you and good luck this coming year on the draws there in Wyo.

Brian

KW,

College is going pretty good, im just going here in WY for a couple years and then I'm going to head to AZ for college. I wanted to sneak in a couple more years of hunting before I went away lol.

Are you putting in for WY this coming year?

If you have time you can check out my hunting pics from this year and some pics of took of some critters here in WY:

http://www.huntandlodge.com/gallery/Wyodeerhunters-Pics

Ernesto,
Now that's a real good photo album you have put together. Any idea what killed that Buck south of RS?? Were you allowed to take the antlers?
Good luck in your College and also when you head to AZ. A friend's son just finished down at Tucson earlier this year and is now enrolled out here in San Jose area to finish his Medical schooling.
Have not decided yet if I will apply for Wy. or not but time is running close to make a decision in a few weeks.
Take care, talk with you another time.

Brian

I don't claim to be an expert on CWD, but down here in Colo where CWD is prevelent I don't think they've found 1 case of CWD in antelope. Hunters can send in their deer and elk heads to be tested but don't think antelope are included in the program? Antelope are in a whole other group of animals (goat end of the species spectrum) so it may be different with them. Antelope likely have other diseases that aren't found in deer or elk...maybe that's what the buck you saw had? You may want to contact your local G&F biologist and have them check it out!

younghunter,

next time you sneak to within 10 yards of a healthy anteolope with no cover, let me know!

Later Yall!!!!
mule-deer.gif

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-03 AT 02:01PM (MST)[p]Oldoregon,

I've snuck within 10 yards of antelope before, been there done that. But I don't see how where you were 10 yards away from that buck? What kind of camera are you using?

When you figure out how to judge distance let me know,

Oh and there are places you can go where the antelope/deer/elk will tolerate humans because they see them every day(hence the field the buck is laying in). But somehow they still know when the seasons are cuz they will be spooky then.

Just cuz you snuck close to an animal doesn't mean it has CWD Oldoregon.

Hell he probably saw your cowboy hat and just figured you were a lost cowboy ;)

Kilowatt,

There was a bullet hole in the shoulder of that buck I found dead. The game warden let me keep the rack and we concluded either 1 of 2 things happened. 1. Someone shot the buck and it wasn't big enough, or 2. Someone shot it and couldn't find it. We both think it was probably number 1. Its a 25" 3x3 and I'm sure it looked bigger alive. Down in that unit post people hold out for bigger bucks, and 20-25" bucks usually are not shot till the end of the season.

Theres some great elk/deer/antelope units around RS if you can't decide lol...just terrible odds, but they way i look at it, someone has to draw the tags!

Ernesto

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom