CWD in Cali

grizz19

Just saw a post today saying they have confirmed 2 cases of CWD in deer in Madera county and another in Inyo county by Bishop.

Just saw that too. How the hell did it skip the 4 states around us?? Or not detect it before us
That’s what I’d like to know. Honesty could have got brought in via spine or head from out of state. Either way our poor deer herds are suffering enough with the lack of predator control and now this. Worries me long term about not just the health of the herd but also of potential hunting closures.

There is a pretty good thread on this in the Mule Deer section of this forum. Plenty of Colorado info on it that’s worth reading about

There is a pretty good thread on this in the Mule Deer section of this forum. Plenty of Colorado info on it that’s worth reading about
I actually just saw that late last night but didn’t get a chance to read it. I’ll go check it out

OMG here we go now in California CWD has been around forever. It’s been in California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah , Nevada you name it but it originated in Colorado because they made it there ,so to think they never crossed over to any other state would be ridiculous,but most of those states just have not either looked for it or made a big stink about it. I’m sure these deer that they are talking about in California to start this thread died of something and if they wanna call it CWD then that’s what it will be, because if they say it was CWD that just opens up a whole new can of worms of how they will try to take control even more. But for now it’s just another way for Ca to close more Hunting or give us some BS tag cuts and so forth .The winterkill last year out West killed 1000 times more Deer than CWD ever will!!! And touching on that ,had Colorado just left their deer herds alone instead of trying to play mother nature with the CWD culling and all the other BS, then the winter kill would have killed all the weak ones correct??? The so called CWD infected ones correct?????But no ,they want to tell you, it’s in the soil and so forth because some guy sitting behind some computer tells you that’s how it works. I can go on and on and on about this BS just makes me sick and no, I am not an expert just have common sense!!!!

OMG here we go now in California CWD has been around forever. It’s been in California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah , Nevada you name it but it originated in Colorado because they made it there ,so to think they never crossed over to any other state would be ridiculous,but most of those states just have not either looked for it or made a big stink about it. I’m sure these deer that they are talking about in California to start this thread died of something and if they wanna call it CWD then that’s what it will be, because if they say it was CWD that just opens up a whole new can of worms of how they will try to take control even more. But for now it’s just another way for Ca to close more Hunting or give us some BS tag cuts and so forth .The winterkill last year out West killed 1000 times more Deer than CWD ever will!!! And touching on that ,had Colorado just left their deer herds alone instead of trying to play mother nature with the CWD culling and all the other BS, then the winter kill would have killed all the weak ones correct??? The so called CWD infected ones correct?????But no ,they want to tell you, it’s in the soil and so forth because some guy sitting behind some computer tells you that’s how it works. I can go on and on and on about this BS just makes me sick and no, I am not an expert just have common sense!!!!
Man I agree on most of this. CWD has been around for ages. My concern is not the disease itself but how Ca is going to “manage” it. Whether they take the cull approach, which our already struggling deer populations can not handle, or whether they cut tags, us as hunters are going to get screwed either way. They cull em all off then no deer=no tags. They blame CWD for the low herd numbers then they cut tags. Like you say I hope they just leave it alone but with how our state management takes care of our deer, I don’t have high hopes

Sort of like COVID. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

the responsibility of each hunter coming from out of state with game requires a form filled out with all the information of the animal,weight,tag number , where it came from and inspected at a California entry station at all entries into the state. Now I have had that inspection at 3AM coming from Arizona, looking for brain,and spine. Now every year I have the form ready , and get told they don't take that any more , so I called f&G and that was not true, I told them it will be the fault of the state and car less hunters that will bring it to this state, they said they were going to address that issue with the inspection. that was 4 or 5 years ago. Every year I come from out of state and it has not changed , so I just say I have nothing with the form right next to me. I think the only way It could get here was careless,and lazy people. Some I guess believe it to be some political covert myth, not.

For years I always had about 10 of the multiple page forms in my truck. Always filled out and handed it to the check person. Never got inspected. Then about 5 or 6 years ago (may have been longer) the check person gave me this strange look when I handed them their part of the form. He said he never saw one before and asked what he was suppose to do with it. Since then they have refused to take them. Maybe they went through a change of employees or management.

One of the people who refused to take the form asked me what was in my enclosed utility trail. It was 2am and stormy. I told her it was filled with my side by side and all my camp gear. Takes me an hour or so to pack everything in there. She started demanding I unpack everything and remove my SxS so she could inspect it for seeds stuck in the mud and crevasses. I laughed at her and said I will open the back and remove 2 items so you can squeeze under the SxS to inspect it. Or I can drive away and you can call the sheriff. She bitched and let me go.

If we could just get these darn deer to keep their distance from each other. Like say 6 feet...
Or…..

17213F17-30A5-4692-A008-A300AC7FCA57.jpeg

I swear i seen a deer with CWD one year it moved out in front of my car and got stuck up against a fence i was gonna call it in but had no service and figured the deer would be gone before anyone ever got there. The deer looked mega down bad. Felt sad for it and that was in napa/yolo county. Maybe it was something else but im sure it died.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom